Hmmm.....no Shindaiwa?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From what I can tell, none of the Shindaiwa designs are sold in the USA anymore. As of a year or so ago some of them were still being sold in Europe. To their credit, Husky still sells a few bona fide Redmax saws over here.

Edit: well chit, I see no saws at all on the Redmax USA site. The silly Jonseredmax line is gone and that's no real loss, however they really should have kept the top handle and the excellent GZ4350.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Jonsered-Redmax distributors have been given the Husky saw line to replace that business. Expect it to be a cluster, and wonder how long it will last. But it's on the street already.

On the echo Shindaiwa thing, I suppose the last of the pre merger catalogs would tell a lot of the story. And the real gray part of the story would designs on the board but not released prior to the merger. Never get an answer to that. I've heard that even the current 60cc chassis may come from the Shindaiwa side of the family.

Not all that important really. They are here and a choice with many models. Just have a feeling that Shindaiwa deserves more of the credit than generally known.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of Echo designs can be attributed to Pre-Merger Shindaiwa.
In fact parts interchange on a lot of similar model #'s between the two.
Echo made minor changes (not for the best, but prolly cheaper to produce).
I wish they had really kept Shindaiwa geared towards the professional saw side like they had always been, instead of steering it towards the homeowner crowd.

488 will prolly be my next rebuild, would LOVE to find a hi top version!

beowulf67

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is brief YT video with Don Walker where he discusses Shinny’s approach and entry into the PNW saw market. Far from merger related, but cool nonetheless imo. Loving this topic and ditto with regard to the high top 488.

beowulf67

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also wondering if YAMABIKO plans on releasing a red version of the 7310p here the US…

Farmer_Nate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like mine.

This little 48cc saw does a lot for its size. I put a short bar on it so it is my small stuff/limb saw. It sounds great, starts nice, feels good. Maybe a bit heavier, but I like metal rather than plastic.

Good "pro" saw. In my opinion, quality as good or better than the top 2 brands.
Fully adjustable carb.

Shop Floor L.jpgShopFloorR.JPG

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
7:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love my Shindaiwa 300. I paid $15 for it at an auction last summer, brought it home and it started and ran good 12th pull. Probably my most used saw. Came with all the original paperwork and literature. The original owner was someone we know. Gas tank is very small though.

Attachments

• IMG_4244.jpeg
    IMG_4244.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 3

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great thread!
I started a shiny thread looking for info. Please jump in.