Help me troubleshoot this splitter

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm a little befuddled with this one .Belongs to the tree service that dropped the cotton wood .Danged thing won't built pressure and I suspect the control; valve .Somebody had the pressure set real low .I took it apart .looked okay and cranked it down to max ,no split .It won't even pull off detent on return .I saw the return line flex so I assume the pump is okay but I don't have a pressure gauge nor a tee fitting to install it .
I thought I had it once but I didn't .The machine looks brand new .At any rate I ordered a new valve through Surplus Center Hydraulics .Not bad $59 bucks ,Dirty Hand DSCN1226[1].JPG brand same as the OEM .It's either the valve or the pump .The cylinder is not bypassing .

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you taken apart the pump to inspect it? Does the splitter have a filter? Maybe some dirt ruined the pump.

I wonder if you could bypass the valve somehow so it is always trying to move the cylinder one way, then you could see if it loads the engine more than it has been, or if it will split wood.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
here we go . with the motor off inspect lovejoy coupler pull motor over while watching love joy to see if it is driving pump, if not need new love joy. Next disconnect hose from pump to valve, pull motor over keeping hose pointed into a bucket or such . if fluid is ejected pump likely good at this stage. if no fluid then either pump or suction line has a problem. reconnect hose. now disconnect hose at rear of cylinder point hose into bucket pull motor over with valve set too extend ram if fluld ejects that portion of valve ok. if not then a problem there. reconnect hose. if these steps good then there is possibility of the internal ram seal bad. if these steps show nothing bad then you will need to get a pressure gauge and a T fitting to insert a various pints the circuit to take readings to isolate problem. If the valve you purchased dosen't fix then it is what I all ready covered. this is all based on the correct amount of fluid in the system. if it was run low and air got in to the lines it takes a fair amount of cycling to work it out. some units have a screen at the tank suction line junction. that could be plugged, also there is a remote posibilty that the suction line could be collasping . best wishes on resolving things. Chris

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Up date .First off I didn't ask for help evidently somebody changed the title .Don't do that any more .
Who ever owned that thing was not a very good mechanic .The valve had a coil broken on the detent release spring .Got a new one .The pump relief was almost at zero pressure .It's a wonder it could move the cylinder rod .I just cranked it in until it would zip through a knotty piece of oak .
The machine itself was built in China and the Chinese are pizz poor welders . I noticed the wedge was trying to come apart so I layed the rod to it .My welds do not split apart like an egg shell .
The machine has the valve on the side of the cylinder meaning it can only be safely operated from one side .Very poor design .In addition with that heavy as lead 5" cylinder and rather small foot plate the danged thing is too heavy for me by myself to tip it up another poor design . That said in spite of my dislikes it has enough power and is fast enough with a 17.5 GPM flow and 10 HP Briggs engine . This thing sold new for $1750 .