Help me pick a backpack blower to rent

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
1:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, they screwed up the order, so I placed a new one for a totally different unit.... Shindaiwa EB810RT! ;)

Here's a question for you... I run my saws at 40:1, is this going to be ok in this blower? I have the "D" tools to adjust carb, if necessary, though I'd certainly rather not, at least at first. Mainly because I have no idea where the H, T, and L screws are even located, nor do I know what to shoot for when tuning them. I can handle a chainsaw just fine, listening for the two-stroking, etc...

Should I get another can with 50:1 mix?

Thoughts?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
12:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, they screwed up the order, so I placed a new one for a totally different unit.... Shindaiwa EB810RT! ;)

Here's a question for you... I run my saws at 40:1, is this going to be ok in this blower? I have the "D" tools to adjust carb, if necessary, though I'd certainly rather not, at least at first. Mainly because I have no idea where the H, T, and L screws are even located, nor do I know what to shoot for when tuning them. I can handle a chainsaw just fine, listening for the two-stroking, etc...

Should I get another can with 50:1 mix?

Thoughts?

"Red Echo"
I'm good with 40-1 in everything.
I could find no carb adjust screws on the PB8010, nor anything in the manual or start up procedure. Assemble, fuel and go.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Holy CRAP!!
WHY have I not purchased a backpack blower until now?!?! Started on second pull, let it warm up for a few minutes, and let 'er rip. It's been raining all night, and still sprinkling now, so not ideal time to be blowing, but I had to see how it ran at least. What an absolute BEAST! Love the sound, but glad for double ear pro... This thing is going to be perfect for the major leaf and pine needle situation at my Dad's.
Thanks for the suggestions gang, I figured I'd be somewhat different and go for the Shindaiwa version, and also ensure I got one without the tube issues.
Cheers!

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Holy CRAP!!
WHY have I not purchased a backpack blower until now?!?! Started on second pull, let it warm up for a few minutes, and let 'er rip. It's been raining all night, and still sprinkling now, so not ideal time to be blowing, but I had to see how it ran at least. What an absolute BEAST! Love the sound, but glad for double ear pro... This thing is going to be perfect for the major leaf and pine needle situation at my Dad's.
Thanks for the suggestions gang, I figured I'd be somewhat different and go for the Shindaiwa version, and also ensure I got one without the tube issues.
Cheers!
Very nice! That’s a red 8010. It’s an absolute hoss.

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Holy CRAP!!
Cheers!

We told you.... lol. Enjoy!

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just remember when tuning that a blower is always loaded by its fan, there is no clutch so its pushing air at idle. This kinda makes tuning easier you don't want it four stroking once it is 4T -ing back off the H so it runs clean. I try to tune out any 4stroking right through all throttle settings. Your unit likely has a throttle lock that enables you to set the throttle position so you want crisp 2stroking at any position.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just remember when tuning that a blower is always loaded by its fan, there is no clutch so its pushing air at idle. This kinda makes tuning easier you don't want it four stroking once it is 4T -ing back off the H so it runs clean. I try to tune out any 4stroking right through all throttle settings. Your unit likely has a throttle lock that enables you to set the throttle position so you want crisp 2stroking at any position.

Interesting, and that makes sense. Yes, I can set throttle to any position. If I ever discover the location of the adjustment screws, I might fiddle with it a bit. I'll likely wait until I've run several tanks of gas through her.

Last edited:

TeaKay

I'm here now !!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sell echo redmax and Husqvarna. Husqvarna 580bts Mark 2 for me. It’s the ebz8550 but better straps and a/f lid. Echo had some problems out the gate we’ll see if they get it figured out. Probably run for 30 years like every other echo product. The housing, tubes, back pad - just seem low quality in comparison.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The husky 580 is really nice, probably what I'd buy if in the market for a new one. Stihl have dropped the ball in the backpack blower department. If they just made a stylish well featured 75-90cc 2mix 2T I'd 'want' to buy it.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I put two tanks of gas through the Shindy today. Crazy power, although I have never used a backpack blower before, so I have nothing to compare it to. It did an amazing job on several years worth of dense Pitch pine needles, and eleventy billion White oak leaves. My poor elbow is screaming a bit, but raking would have killed me, and I'd still be out there!
If my arm allows it, I'll get after it again tomorrow. What a fantastic piece of equipment. Blew off his deck and patio in matter of minutes.
Thanks for the suggestions! I realize this is really overkill for my non-professional needs, but it really works fantastic.

Last edited: