Help me pick a backpack blower to rent

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
8:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 8010 would be leaps and bounds over the 8000. Even a RM 7500 would be a big improvement over the 8000
so the 8000 has been slightly updated to the 8550, slightly increased air speed, thats about it. here are specs for the 8010 and the 8550. the echo is 4 ccs bigger, and has allegedly 5 mph more wind speed, slightly higher air volume. im not saying it may not be marginally better, but to say leaps and bounds better i think sounds like ignorance.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can't say a thing about the Makita, but have had extensive use of many a BR600 and after trying out an Echo 8010 last year I definitely want to upgrade for two reasons. One, there's the more power thing, two and most important to me is the comfort of the Echo is so much better. The 600 is a good blower until the debris accumulates enough to the point it won't push the pile along any farther. The Echo is like having a Little Wonder push blower on your back, just blow on through. It really is something.

Yes, I'm definitely getting that there is a theme here about that Echo. Unfortunately, I'm not having any luck finding them locally so far. It's looking like one of the rentals will be my only choice this time around.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
7:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, I'm definitely getting that there is a theme here about that Echo. Unfortunately, I'm not having any luck finding them locally so far. It's looking like one of the rentals will be my only choice this time around.

Maybe someone has some of the newer larger Stihl BP blowers for rent.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Frankly, as I've never used a backpack blower, I have no idea how well it will work on his pine needles. If it works well, a purchase may well be following, for next season.
It will work very well. What's great about backpacks is they have pistol grip control and a much longer tube than handhelds. So you can put the air where you want it betterer. My Solo has a clever feature, the tube end (nozzle) is shaped like a hockey stick with a hook or 130ish degree bend so the air comes out at ground level heading straight instead of bouncing off the ground like all the other straight tube designs. Check out the cfm specs of each blower to see which moves the most air, but Stihl is kinda dodgy and don't measure the air flow from the tip of the nozzle, some of the more honest OEMS do. I'd just get the highest displacement providing the makita is 78cc of 2stroke not 4stroke or 4mix. Alternatively, get on Ebay and buy a used BR600...not cause their the best blower but cause they can be bought very cheap used. You'll end up wanting to get one after you rent one in any case, yall be like how did I get through life without one of these.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chevette vs. a Corvette.
theyre that good joe? im not a fanboy, just appreciate what works for me, but ive got one (8500) about ready to be retired. im not scared of somethin new, most of the time haha

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ain’t got no dog in this fight as I don’t own a backpack blower...just a couple of handhelds that suit me and my little property fine. I tagged Joe @Onan18 into this within the first few comments made. He and I talked extensively on the phone several months back...and his knowledge of these things, saws, etc is outstanding to say the least. I know his recommendations are not in the short list of what @wildroamer can rent...but Joes’ knowledge is gold. If I ever need a backpack blower...he’ll be the first I consult with what’s the latest, greatest thing, or maybe a model below that’ll work for me. I wish somebody out there made a left-handed version. I highly doubt it exists. I’m a lefty and my head is very hard-wired from a lefty, southpaw perspective. It might take a case of cold beer or two, but I’ll figger out good, precise control of the righty deal. I had to learn it with saws years ago...and I still don’t feel completely in control like I should...it just don’t feel the same. Just how some of us hard-wired lefties are.

Nonetheless, Joes’ knowledge is golden!

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not a knock on them at all just an FYI.......Echo issued a recall on their 8010 and the Shini version as well on 21 Feb.

Attachments

• RB_20-01_Consumer_Letter_and-Poster_ECHO_English_030420(2).pdf
    592.4 KB · Views: 6

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
...I wish somebody out there made a left-handed version...

Ugh, me too... Doc just told me I can't lift more than a cup of coffee with my right hand until I get an MRI to see if I need surgery. Looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ain’t got no dog in this fight as I don’t own a backpack blower...just a couple of handhelds that suit me and my little property fine. I tagged Joe @Onan18 into this within the first few comments made. He and I talked extensively on the phone several months back...and his knowledge of these things, saws, etc is outstanding to say the least. I know his recommendations are not in the short list of what @wildroamer can rent...but Joes’ knowledge is gold. If I ever need a backpack blower...he’ll be the first I consult with what’s the latest, greatest thing, or maybe a model below that’ll work for me. I wish somebody out there made a left-handed version. I highly doubt it exists. I’m a lefty and my head is very hard-wired from a lefty, southpaw perspective. It might take a case of cold beer or two, but I’ll figger out good, precise control of the righty deal. I had to learn it with saws years ago...and I still don’t feel completely in control like I should...it just don’t feel the same. Just how some of us hard-wired lefties are.

Nonetheless, Joes’ knowledge is golden!

Ugh, me too... Doc just told me I can't lift more than a cup of coffee with my right hand until I get an MRI to see if I need surgery. Looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit.

Both Echo and RedMax make a left hand control model (also called a hip throttle). You still have to hold the tube with your right hand, but the throttle control and kill switch is mounted to an arm on the left.

The Echo designation is H (hip throttle) PB-8010H and the RedMax is EBZ-8500 (the tube throttle variant is EBZ-8500 RH)

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That sucks.

Could a walk behind blower work for what you need?

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That sucks.

Could a walk behind blower work for what you need?
Not really. I will need the ability to get into some right spaces. Might have to hire it out, or just bag it for this year.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t own a backpack blower...just a couple of handhelds that suit me and my little property fine. .... I wish somebody out there made a left-handed version. I highly doubt it exists. I’m a lefty and my head is very hard-wired from a lefty, southpaw perspective. It might take a case of cold beer or two, but I’ll figger out good, precise control of the righty deal. I had to learn it with saws years ago...and I still don’t feel completely in control like I should...it just don’t feel the same. Just how some of us hard-wired lefties are.
Hey guys, take look at the how Ryobi mounted the engine as a vertical shaft and got rid of that big elbow in the pipe.
Result is a good bit more air flow for that engine size unit.
Having to make that curve~corner drops a noticeable bit of the wallop outta the air flow.

Now if you reworked a "regular" Horizontal shaft engine blower to lay down in that vertical position.
And got rid of the elbow...
The Blower would be a lefty!
I'm a righty, so that's the reason I haven't tried to re-rig a horizontal shaft unit to fit a frame as a vertical unit.
I thought about trying to mount the regular one as a right hander but the motor mounts will be on top and thus doesn't let the motor sit on them.

Getting sleepy (rough day in yard) so forgive me if this isn't very clearly said.
edits to fix a bit of my writing while half asleep.

Attachments

• ryobi-gas-leaf-blower.jpg
    ryobi-gas-leaf-blower.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys, take look at the how Ryobi mounted the engine as a vertical shaft and got rid of that big elbow in the pipe.
Result is a good bit more air flow for that engine size unit.
Having to make that curve~corner drops a noticeable bit of the wallop outta the air flow.

Now if you reworked a "regular Horizontal shaft engine blower to lay down in that vertical position.
And got rid of the elbow...
The Blower would be a lefty!
I'm a righty, so that's the reason I haven't tried to re-rig a horizontal shaft unit to fit a frame as a vertical unit.
I thought about trying to mount the reagular one as right hander but the motor mount woll be on top and thus dont late the motor sit on them.

Getting sleepy (rough day in yard) so fogive me if this isn't very clearly said.

I dig the design but 42cc ain't much.

Last edited:

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Elbow be damned, I decided to take advantage of the Home Depot "30-day free demo" policy on gas-powered equipment. :eusa_liar: :eusa_whistle:
Just ordered the much-suggested Echo...

Don't get me wrong, hopefully I love it and it is just the ticket for Dad's place, in which case I'll keep it. But, if it doesn't do what I need it to, it's going back.

Last edited: