wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
2:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey gang,

I'm looking for some thoughts on a backpack blower I'm thinking of renting to work on my Dad's yard. There are two places that rent them for similar price, these are the choices;

Stihl BR600 or Makita BBX7600N

Back yard is pine needle city, and front is not a huge issue as it has oak and maple leaves only.

Any thoughts on which would be best for a day?

Thanks!

Todd

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm just a homeowner, but have had my BR600 for over 5 years and it always starts within 2 pulls even after sitting for 4 - 6 months. Its quiet at idle easy to start and im happy with it. I have a Makita handheld 4-mix style blower and it is very well made, but much harder to start after sitting a few months. Those 4-mix are very light on fuel consumption, I don't want one for a small/medium saw or string trimmer, but like them for blowers and polesaws. They would also have been great as a long bar 880 replacement.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm just a homeowner, but have had my BR600 for over 5 years and it always starts within 2 pulls even after sitting for 4 - 6 months. Its quiet at idle easy to start and im happy with it. I have a Makita handheld 4-mix style blower and it is very well made, but much harder to start after sitting a few months. Those 4-mix are very light on fuel consumption, I don't want one for a small/medium saw or string trimmer, but like them for blowers and polesaws. They would also have been great as a long bar 880 replacement.

So you have used both? I'm guessing the Stihl would be more powerful on those needles...

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
10cc difference towards the makita.

Everyone knows a 600 works, but an echo 8010 will blow the STIHL outta the water. Pun intended.

We have a fleet of 600 at work. We purchased 3 8010’s and they are a beast. Loud as hell though. Double ear pro for sure.

Why are you renting vs buying? Sounds like dads yard may be an ongoing job.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know this post isn’t really helping your choice, but I’ll post it anyways.
Funny the Echo 8010 got mentioned. I have to agree. It’s an absolute beast. I ran a tank through mine today. I don’t need to rake anything anymore. I just blow it away with this thing. It IS loud, but the idle is like no other stock blower I’ve ever heard. Friggin’ sweet!!

ECB5C070-6F0E-49FD-9D89-179CA4753DF7.jpeg

ayoungtexan

I tell a lot of lies
Local time
1:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score

Everyone knows a 600 works, but an echo 8010 will blow the STIHL outta the water. Pun intended.

We have a fleet of 600 at work. We purchased 3 8010’s and they are a beast. Loud as hell though. Double ear pro for sure.

With an 8010 it won’t be an ongoing job.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Frankly, as I've never used a backpack blower, I have no idea how well it will work on his pine needles. If it works well, a purchase may well be following, for next season.

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Frankly, as I've never used a backpack blower, I have no idea how well it will work on his pine needles. If it works well, a purchase may well be following, for next season.

Buy an 8010 and don’t look back. Like being in control of a tornado.

Even if you’re a different brand guy, let the echo be the odd man out. Nothing compares to it.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
oops! first reply didn't show, so call me the President of the Redundancy Department of Redundancy!

Mainly because I've never used a backpack blower, and really don't know how well it will work on the needles etc at Dad's place. I'm hearing so much love for that Echo that I'm looking to take Onan18's advice and try to demo one from a local dealer. My other not-so-small issue is I'm dealing with a broken right elbow at the moment. Raking is definitely out, but I think I could handle the blower ok in my splint... If I wait too long, the grass will really start growing and it will be tough/impossible to deal with those pine needles this season.

Thanks for all of your replies! Sounds like between the two rental options, there is perhaps more real-world experience with the Stihl.

Matt Ellerbee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
oops! first reply didn't show, so call me the President of the Redundancy Department of Redundancy!

Mainly because I've never used a backpack blower, and really don't know how well it will work on the needles etc at Dad's place. I'm hearing so much love for that Echo that I'm looking to take Onan18's advice and try to demo one from a local dealer. My other not-so-small issue is I'm dealing with a broken right elbow at the moment. Raking is definitely out, but I think I could handle the blower ok in my splint... If I wait too long, the grass will really start growing and it will be tough/impossible to deal with those pine needles this season.

Thanks for all of your replies! Sounds like between the two rental options, there is perhaps more real-world experience with the Stihl.

The br600 is a great machine too, a 10 if you will, but the echo.... she’s an 11!

Honestly you will not be disappointed with either.

Good luck with your elbow.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heh heh, I'm trying to avoid that. Then again, this may very well be a two-day dealio, so if the first one "blows" I can always try the other...

After a recent experience renting a drain snake I'd go with that place takes better care of their equipment. That way you're not fighting junk.

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After a recent experience renting a drain snake I'd go with that place takes better care of their equipment. That way you're not fighting junk.

That's a good point. The Stihl is at a great local equipment dealer, large and small, and they rent all kinds of stuff.
The Makita is at Home Depot, where I've had good and bad experience...

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Echo PB-8010 :cool:

Doesn't help the op. But how would the new echo compare to the ebz8000 I have now? Just wondering. That redmax is impressive. The echo would be the cats meow if it's even better.

Steven

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can't say a thing about the Makita, but have had extensive use of many a BR600 and after trying out an Echo 8010 last year I definitely want to upgrade for two reasons. One, there's the more power thing, two and most important to me is the comfort of the Echo is so much better. The 600 is a good blower until the debris accumulates enough to the point it won't push the pile along any farther. The Echo is like having a Little Wonder push blower on your back, just blow on through. It really is something.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i admittedly havent used an the new echo, i have a hard time seeing how it could be anything other than very powerful and stuff. i just have been treated very well by the zenoah/redmax blowers for a long time. ive put many hundreds of tanks of fuel through them in the last 15 years. never had an issue and its what i always reccomend to someone who needs a serious tool. not to be a dick, but the br600 is not a serious tool. stihl put a glorified string trimmer engine on there and calls it a backpack blower. my guess is anyone who loves theres prob hasnt used a redmax.