Help me out Stihl Bros. MS310

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not bad saws at all. There are two different types of seals-- the common AM ones are designed to be installed when the clamshell is opened. Your dealer can get the other ones.
Go OEM on the fuel line if it needs one. AM impulse lines aren't too bad for this series. AM carb kits are ok, too.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not bad saws at all. There are two different types of seals-- the common AM ones are designed to be installed when the clamshell is opened. Your dealer can get the other ones.
Go OEM on the fuel line if it needs one. AM impulse lines aren't too bad for this series. AM carb kits are ok, too.
Excellent info, thank you.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I appreciate all the info guys. I was expecting this saw to be a turd but by what everyone is saying it's got some potential. Kinda like the Husky 350 but with Mo Powa. I'll most likely be tearing into it on Thursday. I'll post what I find.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're welcome, man. I've rebuilt several 1127s and worked on a couple others. They're ok.
If you pop the clamshell, use Dirko as a sealant.
I'm not familiar with Dirko. Can 1194 be used as a substitute?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
6:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And if ya got extra time to wait theres soppose to be a Cross Performance ms 390 kit with a pop up piston. As for the time line on that I have no idea.

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
12:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did one recently for a former co-worker- muffler mod, advanced the timing around three degrees, new fuel system with an 046 carb- it's a fine runner now.
whats a fine runner, I have advanced the timing on one I am building and modded the muffler (obvs) Also opened out the piston window to match the transfer lowers..

Comparable to what in your average 12" - 20" wood with a 20" bar?

ms362, 038 mag, 357xp etc?

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
6:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
whats a fine runner, I have advanced the timing on one I am building and modded the muffler (obvs) Also opened out the piston window to match the transfer lowers..

Comparable to what in your average 12" - 20" wood with a 20" bar?

ms362, 038 mag, 357xp etc?
runs better than a 455 rancher.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't waste my money buying a 390 top end if it has a new top end already. Muffler mod and advancing the timing will do alot for that saw.
That's the plan. If my P&C is indeed new and serviceable I won't be putting a 390 top end on it. To be perfectly honest this is gonna be a flip for another project I have in mind. I wanna rescue a 254xp and a 262xp out of my local dealers junk pile. Nothin against this Stihl as it sounds like it could be built into a good runner. I've just been obsessing over those two classics sitting there ripe for the pickin. Greatful for all the knowledge shared, thanks fellers.

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's the plan. If my P&C is indeed new and serviceable I won't be putting a 390 top end on it. To be perfectly honest this is gonna be a flip for another project I have in mind. I wanna rescue a 254xp and a 262xp out of my local dealers junk pile. Nothin against this Stihl as it sounds like it could be built into a good runner. I've just been obsessing over those two classics sitting there ripe for the pickin. Greatful for all the knowledge shared, thanks fellers.
I'd sell it for one of those