Guide Bar Info Thread.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m gonna play around with some of it too. I like it!!

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
1:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Did y'all think I was fugging around when I "tagged" @ray benson to this thread?

Ray has one of, if not the most extensive collections of saw related tech information. Workshop manuals, IPL's, guide bars, chain, advertising, etc.

Between Ray and @Philbert, along with a couple of other folks, this thread is pretty well chock full of facts, figures, charts, and graphs.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is another guy, Jon1212, and he is also packed with really good advice. I usually read about every post that he generates.

FWIW, I received a 36" Stihl bar today from a logger with a locked up tip. I looked at the bar, not bent or twisted, and offered to redress the bar and replace the sprocket tip. He said, "Edwin, I would rather just pay buy a new one. I know they are expensive."

I shook my head and said, "OK, but now I will then have a very good working bar for about $20 in parts that you could use again for at least a year."

It made no difference. He gave the bar to me and walked away from the repair. That's the way it is.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is another guy, Jon1212, and he is also packed with really good advice. I usually read about every post that he generates.

FWIW, I received a 36" Stihl bar today from a logger with a locked up tip. I looked at the bar, not bent or twisted, and offered to redress the bar and replace the sprocket tip. He said, "Edwin, I would rather just pay buy a new one. I know they are expensive."

I shook my head and said, "OK, but now I will then have a very good working bar for about $20 in parts that you could use again for at least a year."

It made no difference. He gave the bar to me and walked away from the repair. That's the way it is.
Wow. I would have had you fix it myself and continue cutting with it

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

That guy is a "hack".

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
" . . .I would rather just pay buy a new one. I know they are expensive."
Local STIHL dealer told me that a surprising number of customers do the same thing with RSN bars.

Start with an OEM RSN tip (about $24) plus some labor, versus getting a new bar right away. . . (I would still keep it as a spare).

Philbert

OldJack

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's why we useDL counts.

STIHL MS250 with a "16-inch" bar (small mount) uses 62 drive links of .325 / .063 chain.

STIHL MS260 with a "16-inch" bar (large mount) uses 67 drive links of the same chain.

Some "16-inch" ECHO OEM bars take 57 DL of 3/8 low profile chain, so that you buy replacement loops from their dealers, instead of the 56DL loops available everywhere else ('S56').

Change a drive sprocket and you may need to add or subtract a link or two.

Philbert

A Worx 303.1 with a 16" bar takes a 57 DL 3/8" low profile. This is the Oregon packaged S57 chain.

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow. I would have had you fix it myself and continue cutting with it.
In fact, I was able to repair the locked up nose sprocket on this bar and it spins freely now. Must have gotten hot at some point or squeezed (or both). A little "magic" lube and machining encouragement is all that it needed. I'll take it out and check it tomorrow. Usually I can sell a used 36" bar for $50 or so. Heck, they run over $100 new. A sawyer at the mill bought a used one from me that I reconditioned and redressed last year and he still uses it after over 100 hours of cutting.

Last edited:

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In fact, I was able to repair the locked up nose sprocket on this bar and it spins freely now. Must have gotten hot at some point or squeezed (or both). A little "magic" lube and machining encouragement is all that it needed. I'll take it out and check it tomorrow. Usually I can sell a used 36" bar for $50 or so. Heck, they run over $100 new. A sawyer at the mill bought a used one from me that I reconditioned and redressed last year and he still uses it after over 100 hours of cutting.
I’ve freed up a few myself by soaking them in ATF. For a couple days

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve freed up a few myself by soaking them in ATF. For a couple days
That's part of my "magic" lube. Every mechanic in this business has his own formula. I usually add some molly grease also. Note that many Stihl bars have no oil hole on the tip (most of them actually). They say the bearing is permanently lubricated. I say it's permanently unlubricated and asking for a seize up.

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
3:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
That's part of my "magic" lube. Every mechanic in this business has his own formula. I usually add some molly grease also. Note that many Stihl bars have no oil hole on the tip (most of them actually). They say the bearing is permanently lubricated. I say it's permanently unlubricated and asking for a seize up.
Thats why Oregon tips last so long. i kike diesel and tranny fluid or deisel and marvel mystey oil.diesel hates rust fyi,

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Higher end bars as in???
Value. Not brand.

Little point putting a $15 nose sprocket kit in a $20 bar, especially if you have to pay labor!

Not sure which models manufacturers still sell them for. We live in an increasingly throw-away culture.

Philbert

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Higher end bars as in??? I know you said Oregon. I know myself Tsumura, cannon?, total GB but to me those are really high end bars. One of which is a GB that I have one of now. But what makers are classified as high end?
It is amazing how many Stihl saws at GTG's arrive with bars made by other MFG's. Not sure what causes this, but it's probably worth a discussion.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Value. Not brand.

Little point putting a $15 nose sprocket kit in a $20 bar, especially if you have to pay labor!

Not sure which models manufacturers still sell them for. We live in an increasingly throw-away culture.

Philbert
Ahh I gotcha now

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is amazing how many Stihl saws at GTG's arrive with bars made by other MFG's. Not sure what causes this, but it's probably worth a discussion.
Do you mean stihl labeled bars made by someone else for stihl or others adapted to fit stihls