Got what I paid for husky 350

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
10:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 44mm OP 2150 as a "to do" but you guys seem to get 45mm CP ones Other Jason.
Yep, mines CP. The removable transfer covers allowed me to play around with a dremel. Excellent results with that OE cyl and 353 piston. It's still going strong after a bunch of years and the piston isn't wearing funny or anything. Used sand paper on glass for the riser base and a caliper in an attempt to stay true. Then glued emory to an old piston for the squish band. :roto2nuse:

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, mines CP. The removable transfer covers allowed me to play around with a dremel. Excellent results with that OE cyl and 353 piston. It's still going strong after a bunch of years and the piston isn't wearing funny or anything. Used sand paper on glass for the riser base and a caliper in an attempt to stay true. Then glued emory to an old piston for the squish band. :roto2nuse:
Lies. You used a belt sander and a coarse bastard file.

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I ordered a hyway popup and ring, a 390 clamp and a three foot cylinder hone(too big?). I worked on stock cylinder and it looks good except for one small pit. I'm going to try to get this set up going and then look at trying to get the junk I bought operational.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
2:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I ordered a hyway popup and ring, a 390 clamp and a three foot cylinder hone(too big?). I worked on stock cylinder and it looks good except for one small pit. I'm going to try to get this set up going and then look at trying to get the junk I bought operational.
Cylinder Hone??? No No No.
Use emery cloth and search up the Mastermind method on the sawtube.

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I looked at them and wonder if cylinder is ruff enough to set ring and hold oil with just a pad finish. I already removed all transfer with acid and pads. I think this is a low hour cylinder and saw.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I looked at them and wonder if cylinder is ruff enough to set ring and hold oil with just a pad finish. I already removed all transfer with acid and pads. I think this is a low hour cylinder and saw.
That red scotchbrite leaves a nice finish in there Sandy. I've had no issue.

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I got the pop up and ran some numbers. Stock without base gkt ex@100,trans@126 and int@71. Pop up with stock cylinder no bg ex 102,trans@129 and int@70. Squish is .031. What do you think? What are good numbers? What do the 346,s run? Also the new piston is blocking the ex floor by 20thou or so. That would get me back to 100. Thanks

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I got the pop up and ran some numbers. Stock without base gkt ex@100,trans@126 and int@71. Pop up with stock cylinder no bg ex 102,trans@129 and int@70. Squish is .031. What do you think? What are good numbers? What do the 346,s run? Also the new piston is blocking the ex floor by 20thou or so. That would get me back to 100. Thanks
You don’t really want 100 though. You’d ideally want more like 106. So keep the exhaust down, widen it, and raise the transfers up a little. Put a ring in the bore and use the piston to push it up with your degree wheel and then feel for the port edge with a pick or tuning screwdriver to see how close you are. By eye you will be 3° off unless you have removable transfer covers. But even then, the exhaust points down so hard that it can be difficult to see in there

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Or just leave it where it is and work on making sure there are no air leaks present anywhere and enjoy it

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I just checked and the new piston blocks the bottom third of transfers also. This looks like dead air as it moves over middle of port. Port openings have restrictions built in it looks like to increase airspeed thru a venturi. The cylinder blocks the case ports quite a bit also. Anyone have pics of a ported 350 cylinder?

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can see it's very difficult to get a accurate trans reading. I have the port covers off and it's still easy to be off. I'm at approximately 27* of blow down. I need all I can get from this because it has a good running echo 4910 with a hickory chip on it's shoulder.lol. Kevin, I told you I would have one of those after I ran yours. After break in it's getting a look at if I can wait that long.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Porting pics really only help if everything else has been done the same. I almost always do some sort of lathe work to add compression. I wouldn’t grind in the same places if I weren’t adding compression.

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking at it again I would say half the trans ports are blocked off.

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still looking and comparing. The pistons are exactly same height but stock piston has a beveled edge that makes it seem ports open earlier and of course the dished top compared to pop up.

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I put on the AM piston and cylinder and to my amazement it opens to bottom of transfers allowing full port flow numbers are same at 100,127 and70. The ex port floor is just under top of piston and squish on flat top Pistons is 45thou. The bottom ring does come into int port though.

Thesandman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More comparing and more questions. The am intake is bigger and exhaust is smaller than husky but the transfers were the reason I ordered the piston and wanted to use husky cylinder. Husky trans ports are alot wider than AM but the piston blocks off the lower half of husky port and am trans flow full depth. So I guess the AM cylinder is better than I originally thought. The inside of trans seems to favor the AM cylinder also. I need some numbers from experienced members or previous work on the 350/353 type saws. Thanks