davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
9:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I brought the 2166 28” and 2159. Hit something first cut with the 2166. Set my son up with the 2159 while I swapped to a full skip chain and 8 pin. We ended up side by side on the same log, i didn’t have the 2166 tune dialed yet, the chain must have gotten a little dull right off the bat too, and I think he was smokin me with 3/8” lo pro. I went to go back to 7 pin and full comp and just sharpen it…lost the e clip. Kept forgetting to put spares in my bag so 2166 was done for the day. Only had one chain for the 2159 so I was a bit nervous as I’d found some of the rounds I couldn’t hand split and I had dulled the 2166 twice in short order. We did a lot of noodling. Burned almost a gallon of gas and sharpened with each fillup.

wap13

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that a grub? I find those when I am splitting sometimes, I give them to my chickens. I thought grubs eat roots off grass, yet those show up when splitting.

Dont know if its a grub, larva or what but it comes from what we call wood beetles. Kind of big black beetles you see around your wood pile or dead trees.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dont know if its a grub, larva or what but it comes from what we call wood beetles. Kind of big black beetles you see around your wood pile or dead trees.
Wow, those become those big black beetles. Thanks, never knew that.

U&A-

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Looks good man! Have fun.

If constructive criticism is aloud .... put some good boots on your sons feet and some more ppe.
I know. Im that guy. But I have a son to so its the first thing I thought of[emoji1303].

I really like full skip chains too. Way less sharpening and the cut times are always controversial between full skip and comp. so go for less sharpening!![emoji869]

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
11:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cutting noodles can reap some other harvest. While I was noodle cutting big red elm rounds one day a rancher stopped by with three or four big trash bags. He said, "My horses loves these chips in their stable." I said, "Help yourself. I have plenty. Woodsmen call them noodles."

He filled his sacks and right before he left, he stuffed a $20 bill in my shirt pocket.

Last edited:

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run a ripping chain when making noodles splitting firewood and I tend to sit on a rolling mechanic stool off to the side just in case of kickback (has not happened yet) so my head is not in line with the saw as it might be if I was leaning down to cut. Though I usually cut them on a wide 32" tall round, supported by bricks for drainage, so I am running the saw at waist height. The ripping chain runs so much cooler then regular chain.

When sitting down, I have someone roll the round on top of another round, with a round on the left so the split round can not fall over, then split that round, tip the 1/2 over still standing on the left, cut that (now 2 quarters), and have them flip the last half onto the round I am using for splitting to make the next (2) 1/4 splits.

I use the noodles for fire starting (let them dry out), BBQ smoking, and pet bedding. Sometimes I add them to my garden boxes if it is sweetgum or something other then an oak based wood. I made people gifts, the wife loved them, of cedar noodles in old socks closed with a zip tie. Oak noodles will put a hurting on weeds or anything else after a few rains, so, it is good for weed control.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I noodle for convenience, and often carry a couple of empty feed bags with me to bring some home for chicken bedding, fire starting, and a quick 'pick me up' on the coals in the morning. But I recently got a planer and jointer in my wood shop, so now I have a surplus of shavings and noodles. The chickens are not complaining, at least.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have tried it both ways, a ripping chain (I use 3/8 x .050 from Baileys) produces MUCH less heat and less vibration. Which is why I invest in smaller 20" ripping chains instead of just using my 32" chains for my sawmill. As for cutting parallel with the grain, it is slow anyways, but, I never noticed a difference between the two chains (cross cut or ripping) using 85-92 cc saws.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have tried it both ways, a ripping chain (I use 3/8 x .050 from Baileys) produces MUCH less heat and less vibration. Which is why I invest in smaller 20" ripping chains instead of just using my 32" chains for my sawmill. As for cutting parallel with the grain, it is slow anyways, but, I never noticed a difference between the two chains (cross cut or ripping) using 85-92 cc saws.
Note that when noodling, the wood grain runs the same direction as the bar and chain. That is similar to planing with a plane. I have often thought that noodle cutting might actually wear a chain out more slowly than buck cutting across the grain. Most say that there is no difference in the wear out speed between noodle cutting and buck cutting logs to length.

But, don't stand a round straight up with the grain running vertical and then cut it in half straight down. Do that and your chain will become dull in a jiffy.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That would be milling
Correct. Such as what this guy does with his Alaskan saw mill and a Makita 6421:
upload_2022-2-8_12-18-37.jpeg
He has made some of the best table tops and counter tops I have ever seen using various hardwoods. He usually sharpens the chain after every five or six boards It's a terrific hobby for him.