Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
11:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright, I've been looking up airfare and whatever for this. Looks like San Diego is the cheapest, and then just get a rental car. Desert in January doesn't sound too bad. I could care less if I run any saws, and it's just about the bullshitting, which is what I do best anyways.
Are we talking mid January, as in around the 14th and 15th?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
9:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah. We need a date.
@davidwyby, What kind of wood you got down there? Everything looks hard as hell.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
8:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@SOS Ridgerider yes, looks like Jan would be the best (coolest) for you northerners. If everyone wants to make their own arrangements, that is fine, but also if all or some want to fly in around the same time, my wife and son and I can get a pretty decent group from SD back here. I guess if you have the $ and prefer the autonomy, go for it and if $ is tighter and you want to combine to save, PM me or something.
We also have a 28’ RV trailer for sleeping. Probably be based around the machine and welding shop. I keep my logs there. If it rains we can set up in it/under the overhangs. Out in the dirt is about impossible if it rains. Adobe clay is like grease.

@Ketchup
I have some big trees that need to come down. Mostly euc which isn’t bad when it’s green. Logs I have at the shop will be drier, harder, dustier. Salt cedar doesn’t really get hard. Some pine does. Euc and mesquite get quite hard. If we cut any mesquite it will be milling if anyone wants to. I also have some Indian laurel which was soft when green but seems to be getting a little hard, not crazy. If we want some speed wood we can get some green salt cedar. If y’all prefer to just cut logs around the shop I will spend the first part of winter stockpiling more wood. If y’all want to help dump some monsters, (3-9’ DBH eucs, maybe some 3’ salt cedars) I’ll wait.
I will probably be all into the sawing more than BSing at least during the day, but don’t feel like ya gotta work. Mexican food here is great, and my wife will help cook. I ain’t much of a cook, so if anyone likes grilling, could use some help with that.
There is some tourism stuff around too, huge dunes, etc.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone bringing saws? I was thinking we might try to arrange classes and I’d match up appropriately sized logs…still pretty unofficial of course. I was also thinking about having a chain build off…easier to bring. Each guy could bring a chain and run it on my saw(s)?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll bring a couple saws. Chain isn’t my strong suit.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
11:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
cuinrearview +1

We'll be there all day Saturday and possibly Sunday morning. Who's bringing me a saw to run?

SteveinUT

Have gun - will travel
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Man, I've been so busy surfing gun and motorcycle pages the last couple years I never even noticed a GTG being put together out west. I'm in southern Utah and could possibly try to get down there, but I need to check against the dates for the SHOT Show because it is in mid-Jan every year.

Might have to figure out a GTG in southern Utah as well. I live at 6k, and within 30 minutes can be at 10,000+ or 3,000 feet. And we have a lot of national parks that are cool to visit, if you can tolerate the granolas.

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I gotta get out there an organize my mess…and maybe get some more logs. Seeing the prices for slabs has me second guessing making firewood out of everything. Perhaps we’ll just go drop a big euc or three.