Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
7:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look at the muffler. Start with the muffler. Do nothing but gut the muffler and see what happens. Then understand why it happened.

Then start looking at other areas for improving, specifically the intake tract.

There is way more to it than numbers and what numbers I would use.

Think of this saw as a diesel truck. You want it to beat a car with a small block. Capitalize on torque. It can pull a bigger gear.

Gotcha,

Try an pick up the torque that is already on the table. An 8 pin holding 10k in the wood will run with a 7 holding 11k.

Guess I will leave the other saw stock. See how torquey it really is.

I think the intake is held back by its boot setup. Carb bore seems large enough to supply the air needed to turn up. Need to figure out the equation to calculate it out compared to other saws.

Lot of this is speculation on my part, not personally run this series of saw before.

Just trying to guess the how's, what's, and where's to start with this jug is hard for me to grasp. Being it is so different than others I have seen.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Sorry for the derail but I'm a happy camper now. Finding a exhaust for a echo cs510 is spendy. But I did order 1 to get my saw back in action Screenshot_2016-03-18-09-38-24.pngWhen this comes in it will need to be made to fit the saw. Yep a muffler mod lol. But it will look nice lined up with my poulan 20160124_135354.jpg

echoshawn

Blinker fluid
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cad got the better of me again.
Found a super clean 500p at a pawn shop.
129 out the door.
I tried to dicker, no luck, still took it.
I'll be interested to see how the 490 wakes up after porting, so maybe I can tweak this little thing some.
It'll probably get a gasket delete this weekend for good measure anyway along with a muff mod.
Pics once I get some juice back in my phone.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
129 out the door.
I'll be interested to see how the 490 wakes up after porting, so maybe I can tweak this little thing some.
It'll probably get a gasket delete this weekend for good measure anyway along with a muff mod.
Put it in the piss rev forum

Majorpayne

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
129 out the door.
I have one that was ported by Mweba. I love it because of the weight cause they are about the lightest 50cc saw on the market, 10.7 pounds if I remember right.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
129 out the door.

Nice, I plan on starting that thread tomorrow... cs490

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back to the porting discussion on the 590...

Waiting on parts. Didn't expect a few weeks lead time. Need the case gaskets so I can put it back together.

Wonder how it would respond to stock ish timing numbers, and 220 ish compression coupled with a nice open muffler?

Should pick up a bit of torque with that setup.?

Termitebuffet

Home of the corn can muffler .....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Waiting on parts. Didn't expect a few weeks lead time. Need the case gaskets so I can put it back together.

Wonder how it would respond to stock ish timing numbers, and 220 ish compression coupled with a nice open muffler?

I would think so ...give it a whirl

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
5:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score

Where did you buy your parts?

Why don't you work on the muffler while you are waiting?

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where did you buy your parts?

Why don't you work on the muffler while you are waiting?

Echo direct, fordf150, amazon, ebay. Bearings, seals, clutch drum, gaskets, coils, leads, boots. For 2 saws.

Plan on removing the tube from the muffler, plus the square cone, but that will leave a 1"x1" hole under the deflector which may be a bit much. Since the muffler deflector already has the 4 bolts holding it down, I am going to cut a plate to fit under the deflector to find the point of diminishing gains.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

You can see how large the outlet will be under the deflector, to remove the complete tube assembly. That is where the plate under the deflector will allow me to tune the outlet size.

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Be careful about how much you remove from the muffler, that series of saw gets crazy loud in a hurry. (I dont mind a loud saw but the tone of a gut 590 muffler with the area around the tube removed, it was borderline ridiculous. Just raspy and crude if you will (I have pictures posted on AS but the phone I had them on is no good). If you want to see them I can post a link.
The only thing I did to the last 3 590 mufflers is remove the lower deflector on the stock deflector like in your last picture and noticed nice gains with very little noise difference.

You might consider removing the bottom deflector. Opening up the center baffle in the muffler and adding a port on the side. (I think that would be the best of both worlds)

Im really enjoying this thread! Thanks you.