Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
12:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Clean saw. Really similar to the 670 except Air filter, Chain brake, cover, front tensioner, and color. are the main visible ques.

Small ex port, but look at the dropped floor...

This one will clean up real nice.

Might dig back into this one after a std port job. Be really easy to adapt a large carb/boot, not planning to at this time.

This has me kind of baffled. No base gasket/ sealer at all.. nothing appears to be touched... based on the corrosion on the jug bolts. Wonder if it was like that since new? Still had plenty of comp to run and a new tygon fuel line.

Nice little chunk missing.

before

after

dual port.

Intake

Beefy connecting rod.

Sq .048
In 74, Ex 103, Tr 122.

This one is getting a 268 piston. More than likely add some bridges on the intake side, rather small tunnel,

Have to see what numbers look like with the 268 piston but I would like to see 77 101 123...

redtractor

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They also came in gray, at least at the end of the model's run. Good saw. Horribly small air filter gets clogged quick making it pig rich.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They also came in gray, at least at the end of the model's run. Good saw. Horribly small air filter gets clogged quick making it pig rich.

You are correct, I have seen some 6700 with the large round filter and a taller cover. The gray ones mainly. Seems all the 670's have that filter.

Might be worth looking into swapping it. The stock filter is very small as you mentioned. But it sure is sealed up nice.

I'm curious to see how this one performs with the 268.

Me too. Should give a healthy bump in compression. Might have to track down a larger carb..

Just going by the numbers this should be a very strong saw... but it is not accredited as so.

Gotta be in the carb/muffler.

Another thing I noticed on this one is all torx fasters. Figured that would have been on the newer models. But the 670 was all Allen bolts.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

268 piston fitted. Had to open it up a bit to fit the rod. Smooth out the casting scale while I was at it.

Band cut, squish at .021 around .050 out of it..

Just by swapping the piston numbers are 81, 110, 131.

Transfers widened just a bit, clipped the bottom edge. Set at 123

Ex set at 101, just a bit wider too.

This one may end up with a little too much compression. ..

awol

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I ended up chamfering the edge of the squish band on the one I did, to get compression down. Your numbers look pretty good. If this is like the 670 with its small carb bore, it'll like the high intake duration.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice work. You might have to throw on the bigger carb just to see what it can do. Looking forward to seeing this one run.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ended up chamfering the edge of the squish band on the one I did, to get compression down. Your numbers look pretty good. If this is like the 670 with its small carb bore, it'll like the high intake duration.

I seriously thought bout that. But have 2 more to go. See which one does better with different bars. Only if this one starts having running issues, I will drop the comp.

This saw has tiny ports all the way around. Every one is under 50%.

I do like the round ring in the intake, be pretty easy to bore that out and stick in a larger one that fits a 372 boot/carb. Not sure if the exhaust could handle it.

You have any idea what they were thinking dropping the floor of the ex like that?

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's always easier to loose compression, than it is to gain!

The dropped floor must simply be for an improved exit angle?

Very true.

Here is the 670 exhaust upside-down.

6700 shares the same gasket. Would that dip help scavenging?
Venturi effect?

Thank you for the help sir.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any reason you can't take .020 off the piston and only .030 form the chamber next time Joe?

Should give you a higher ex roof before porting as well.

I use a carbide ball to open the chamber/SB junction sometimes. Gotta just watch the plug threads. A scotchbrite ball smooths it all out.

Does your plug clear your piston?

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any reason you can't take .020 off the piston and only .030 form the chamber next time Joe?

Should give you a higher ex roof before porting as well.

I use a carbide ball to open the chamber/SB junction sometimes. Gotta just watch the plug threads. A scotchbrite ball smooths it all out.

Does your plug clear your piston?

Yeh taking some off the piston could be an option.

This piston added 7* to the ex, could probably use that program @David Young uses for liner measurements to find the exact height change.

Jug isn't sealed yet, may angle the cutter on the mandrel and narrow the band/open the chamber. Just got one of those scotchbrite balls.

Kind of curious to see where the comp ends up as is, if it becomes an issue I can always go back in. Should have 5-8* of exhaust height left before breakthrough.

Maybe take exhast high and fit a pipe :)

Plug should clear, if not I can get some washers or divot the piston lol.