GoldMember
Local time
2:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe cardboard needs done this way. o_O
View attachment 248658
I do fully tape sealed wrapping on small and medium packages, to my knowledge they all made it to their destination unharmed.

Two big boxes I sent to the US I doubled up the boxes either by placing a box inside a box or by adding layers of cardboard inside the outer box, then I taped the box shut either going full circle around the box or going criss cross so that a layer of tape is secured by another layer of tape.
Again, to my knowledge both packages made the trip in perfectly fine condition.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
8:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I taped the box shut either going full circle around the box or going criss cross so that a layer of tape is secured by another layer of tape.
Is this because tape doesn’t stick to cardboard?

engineered taping?

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was a professional taper’er for about a year in my early 20s. Does that count? We didn’t use duct tape, but we did have completely silent tape. No screeching sounds when unspooling those bad boys.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is this because tape doesn’t stick to cardboard?

engineered taping?
Yes, the common "packing tape" we get here is next to useless on matte cardboard, it will hold nicely on glossy cardboard surfaces though.

I'll take a look on my PC whether I have any pictures of my taped packages and post them if so.

A couple members I had the pleasure dealing with received a box or two from me, they can comment on my packing practices if they choose to.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was a professional taper’er for about a year in my early 20s. Does that count? We didn’t use duct tape, but we did have completely silent tape. No screeching sounds when unspooling those bad boys.
Hello Sondre :wave:

What kind of tape is/was that nearly transparent reinforced stuff You wrapped my boxes with?
That stuff is awesome! :worship2:

heavy_oil_saw

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes, the common "packing tape" we get here is next to useless on matte cardboard, it will hold nicely on glossy cardboard surfaces though.

I'll take a look on my PC whether I have any pictures of my taped packages and post them if so.

A couple members I had the pleasure dealing with received a box or two from me, they can comment on my packing practices if they choose to.

You need to prep the cardboard surface with 180 grit before applying tape [emoji3].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will an 2000W angle grinder work or should I use my belt sander.

I wouldn't wanna wear out my belt sander, I need it for porting chainsaws.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
7:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We didn’t use duct tape, but we did have completely silent tape. No screeching sounds when unspooling those bad boys.
I recall seeing a tape dispenser that had an extra roller, at the point where the tape left the roll, to silence the 'barking' sound when peeling off the plastic packaging tape.

Lately, I have received boxes sealed with some type of thick, brown, paper tape that is very different from the kraft paper type tapes that had to be wet with water to stick. Never seen it on the roll; might only be sold for commercial taping machines.

Philbert