tenor.gif

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
sorry i couldnt help more on the brand we take it from the vac truck guys who use it to tape their suction pipes together
we use it to get stuff out of our way and duct taping *pretty boyes to the handrails

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used house wrap tape, duct tape, packaging tape, the aluminum ductwork sealing tape and probably more types without issue. I believe you will get what you pay for with all types.

@sawmikaze I was at We Fest years and years ago and stumbled upon a group going a so called " duct tape test " they were performing Brazilian waxes using different types of duct tape. It was educational.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If You can't fix it with duck tape, You are not using enough duck tape.

I have had the pleasure of receiving a couple boxes of goodies from the US and I was impressed with the adhesion and tensile strength of the tape utilized by the sender.
In Croatia the most common tape types tend to snap/break while wrapping the box, very low quality, very low strength.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to work at 3M. 'Duct Tape' (or 'Duck Tape') can refer to any of a broad category of tape. Like saying 'meat'. Or even 'beef'. The marketing and technical guys there worked with a variety of adhesives, fabrics, and plastic backings to get different performance measures (tensile strength, tear strength, adhesion / release, etc.) and different price points. So even in '3M' or 'Scotch Duct Tape' there are a wide range of products. For a while, they even sold 'easy-to-tear' duct tape which made as much sense to me as 'easy-to-dull' saw chain.

But the bottom line is that none of these are designed for sealing cardboard / corrugated cartons. If that's all you got, then that's what you got. You never see commercially shipped packages sealed with duct tape. If you are buying something, there are a variety of paper, reinforced paper, and plastic package sealing / shipping tapes that are better designed for this task. Probably less expensive too.

I generally use the clear, 3M / Scotch Heavy Duty Shipping Tape (also comes in different grades) to seal the carton edges and flaps. I can also use this to attach or protect the mailing label. Then I use fiberglass filament reinforced packing tape to place reinforcing straps around the center portions of the carton, in both directions, if it is heavy, or if I am concerned about it breaking open.

Screen shot 2020-07-02 at 12.55.34 PM.png

The way you pack the item is important too. The more you fill the voids around the item, the less movement there will be, and the less chance of damaging the carton. Wrap anything sharp (like saw dogs or guide bars) in separate pieces of corrugated cardboard before placing them into the larger carton. They have a tendency to poke through.

Philbert

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it adhere to cardboard ?

Is it widely practiced in saw shipping ?

I have another saw to send to the meat locker for some chipped ham and I wondered what proper procedure was for box taping ?

Any help is appreciated !

Have seen about everything imaginable show up here, one fellow used the same duct tape box three trips with different saws, I would just re-duct and return. By the third time the tape was better looking than the box. So it can't be too bad.
Otherwise I use rolls of 3M shipping tape normally.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
sorry i couldnt help more on the brand we take it from the vac truck guys who use it to tape their suction pipes together
we use it to get stuff out of our way and duct taping *pretty boyes to the handrails

I just use it to tape ping ping saws togther before I throw them off the boat.

Last edited by a moderator: