Dolmar 64xx/73xx/79xx series, smurfs and solo 665/675/681 thread

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
1:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is NOT "worth" more than any other quality saw in the same class!

What is being asked for them is just stupid and a completely other story.
I was in this thread for a long time and always want a saw of this family. The Solos has longer stroke while builders swap dolmar jugs on them. Whats the story of this family and whats the differences? Educate me plz.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was in this thread for a long time and always want a saw of this family. The Solos has longer stroke while builders swap dolmar jugs on them. Whats the story of this family and whats the differences? Educate me plz.
The PS-6400/7300/7900 and Solo 665/675/681 saw family was a joint development venture of Dolmar and Solo which went bust with the Makita takeover of Dolmar.

Those two saw families are basically the same with moderate variations.
That is why the Dolmar cylinders fit on the Solo's with a 1mm spacer due to the Solo featuring a 1mm longer stroke.

There was something about the Solo cranks coming apart as opposed to Dolmar cranks staying in one piece, but I guess that issue has been remedied.

As Solo got acquired by ALKO spare parts supply became difficult so people converting 665's to 681's resorted to 52mm PS-7900/7910 cylinders.

The Solo 694 is the same as the Dolmar PS-9000/9010 with minimal differences in the outer plastic parts and decals.
Same innards, same cc.

That is my understanding of the large frame Dolmar vs Solo thing.
I could be wrong, so take it as an assumption and not confirmed fact.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
2:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There was something about the Solo cranks coming apart as opposed to Dolmar cranks staying in one piece, but I guess that issue has been remedied.

You’d think the price should go down in a saw with a more failure prone bottom end… but I guess that’s not the case since people continue to pay absurd prices for them. Lol. I guess there more of a collectors piece for the cool factor than anything else.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
8:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Dolmar PS-7310 wearing one of my 24" bars for the first time.
It is a nice setup, I used it for three full tanks yesterday bucking up a large wind blown uprooted oak tree.

IMAG2039.jpg IMAG2040.jpg IMAG2041.jpg

Bar came from Dan @AlfA01 , used Windsor chain (and numerous others including new unused loops) came from Sondre @SOS Ridgerider - thank You guys! :)