Do Ported Saws Actually Last? MMWS MS461

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
11:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could be wrong, and then there's the variables.. but I burn red armor anywhere from 40-60:1 depending on who mixed the gas and it doesn't seem to do that.

That looks like the combo of too much oil and pig rich...that looks 32-6:1 to me.

12 years is a record for a tree service saw that gets used regularly for 10 months of the year. I consider 5 years a victory.
36:1 @ 14k.

Pixystyxx said I was too fat.

So I’ll spin it on out some.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like others have said, I switched to red armor for the lack of headaches from the smell.
Honestly if I have to pull a muffler I just drop it straight into a bucket of AWESOME or mean green. I'm not sure if mix ratio makes any difference in goop formation, but I don't tear into it enough to care .

Eduardo K

I like caramel.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a buddy who ran his outboards on amsoil at 100:1. It was awesome. One minute I’m 35 nm from the inlet cruising at 53 knots, the next I stuck going 7 knots on one motor. That’s when we found out a single 200hp wouldn’t get his boat on plane because it was over propped. I think he had a 23” pitch wheel. It was another four hours until we got back to the dock. Oddly enough the engine failed due to a melted piston. I’m not sure if that is a lean condition or fiction thing.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The freakin oil wars ,again or still ? Regarding ported saws I do my own work .So far I haven't had one fail .However as I type I think the Bing 48 on an 038 Stihl Mag is getting tired .On a hot start it likes to try to pull you through the recoil .That saw punchs 185 PSI and with failing check valves it can come back as hard as an 084 .SOB will hurt you .I think I have a kit some place .exactly where I have no idea .BTW until recently it might be 6-8 on a cold start and usually one on a hot .Something is amiss .

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Soak that muffler in a hot USC overnight. Then a little scrub brush on the inside with some purple power. She would clean up noice.

IDK, I’d rather have a goopy muffler than a worn/torn up inside.

The internals are a testament to 25 or 6 to 4 oil.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Soak that muffler in a hot USC overnight. Then a little scrub brush on the inside with some purple power. She would clean up noice.

IDK, I’d rather have a goopy muffler than a worn/torn up inside.

The internals are a testament to 25 or 6 to 4 oil.
But why use it? If other oils do not make that mess and protect internals as good or better.

Eduardo K

I like caramel.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think some of us have to put this in perspective too. I cut firewood and am not a professional logger or arborist. I left the urban life three years ago and would venture to guess one day of firewood cutting on my part might equal a day’s cutting for a pro. In a year, I might spend 20 days cutting.
A pro would have the same number of hours in a month, roughly 12x what I would run in a year. That would mean 12x the oil and gas.
If I ran the same oil and mix ratio, how long would it take to get that muffler goop?

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't get it either .I'm not a pro just more or less a firewood cutter in addition to being a restorer/collector but I have been around chainsaws since I was just a boy .The one and only saw I've ever had problems with clogging up the muffler has been a cinder block McCulloch 610 .That was because it's a bottom of the horizontal cylinder discharge with two 90 degree bends in it with a screen .Removed the screen cured the problem and it didn't take super duper designer mix oil or 6 dollar a quart special country club recomended gasoline . On the other hand perhaps Ohio has better gasoline .?????Then again we do have some of the finest hardwoods in North America .Good corn,good oaks .:)

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another annoying 461 issue. Why did Stihl give it the least spark plug threads of any model I’ve encountered?
So it’s not just me then, before I got my rubber spark plug starter I couldn’t get my fingers situated too good on my 461, started off just a little bit and stopped but still had to pull the saw apart to chase the threads. I wasn’t thrilled

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But why use it? If other oils do not make that mess and protect internals as good or better.
Cause it works very good & I don’t have to drink DIPAs & Starbucks or wear skinny jeans whilst driving a squatted Duramax to use it.

I’m not switching.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
10:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cause it works very good & I don’t have to drink DIPAs & Starbucks or wear skinny jeans whilst driving a squatted Duramax to use it.

I’m not switching.
So now two stroke oil is capable of forcing a person drink lattes, wear odd clothing, and drive a certain type of truck?

That's some powerful oil. LOL