Husqvarna 359XP build with porting

MAF143

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Plenty of folks on this forum who could do machine work on that jug for you…myself included.

Anyone in the northern 1/2 of Ohio? What would cutting a jug cost me? PM me if anyone is interested. To be honest I would love to see it done so the closer to me the better it would work for me. Hope I'm not asking for too much.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone in the northern 1/2 of Ohio? What would cutting a jug cost me? PM me if anyone is interested. To be honest I would love to see it done so the closer to me the better it would work for me. Hope I'm not asking for too much.
Most of us will do it as long as we have a builder case to mock it up on. Usually it’s about $60-$70 shipped

MAF143

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I checked in with the owner and he's gonna run it as is for a few tanks of mix to see if it suits his needs. It does run pretty good when I was testing it out and tuning it up.

If he wants it turned up a little more I'll pull the jug and send it off to have .018 trimmed off the base, then re-tweak the ports for him. It runs way better now than when he brought it over.

I'm kinda in the middle of a NO-lift, NO-grip time... I get the right side worked on next month.

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

Same Doc that put my quad tendons back together a few years ago. Hope this all turns out as well as that did... The shaved arm is NOT a good look!!!

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I checked in with the owner and he's gonna run it as is for a few tanks of mix to see if it suits his needs. It does run pretty good when I was testing it out and tuning it up.

If he wants it turned up a little more I'll pull the jug and send it off to have .018 trimmed off the base, then re-tweak the ports for him. It runs way better now than when he brought it over.

I'm kinda in the middle of a NO-lift, NO-grip time... I get the right side worked on next month.

View attachment 333591

View attachment 333592

View attachment 333593

Same Doc that put my quad tendons back together a few years ago. Hope this all turns out as well as that did... The shaved arm is NOT a good look!!!

I’m in northern Ohio and have a lathe…D0E8DDCB-3765-42CA-82A6-C0D7791C2049.jpeg

MAF143

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ended up getting in touch with @Dolkitafreak and cut the base of the cylinder after putting in a gasket and figuring out where to go. Took .025" off and that left the squish at .024 with a gasket in.

Nice young man. Definitely knows his way around saws. He went to the same high school as our boys so he lives very close to us.

Re-mapped after the cut and adjusted timing to:
ex duration: 158*
in duration: 158*
blowdown: 22*
squish: .024 (could have take .030" off the base, but better safe than sorry)

Kept the angles on the uppers the same as stock but got rid of the plating gnarlies on the roof edge. The removable x-fer covers sure make getting in there easy.
Opened up the lowers quit a bit and funneled the tunnels to get more x-fer.
Squared off the intake floor some.
Kept the pop-up piston in for a touch more compression.
Widened the exhaust port and matched the outer port, heat shield, gasket, and muffler opening to ensure smooth flow.
Aftermarket Muffler is OPEN and the saw sounds GOOD.

I was able to get it back together before my second surgery. I didn't get to run it much, but I had my neighbor (the owner's brother) over to run it for me while I tuned in the carb. Had it in some 22" Silver Maple and the chips were flying. I don't have a before to compare it too because it was so lean I shut it right down before working on it. It runs strong and I'm sure it will pick up a little after a few tanks... That saw is back at home now but I'm sure it will end up back here when we all get together to cut wood. I'll check the compression on it after he cuts a cord or two. We'll compare it to some other saws when we get together to cut again.

He's only made a few test cuts with it and he is happy. New 24" Tsumura light bar with new square filed full comp chain on it (plus a spare, sharp and ready to cut). What's not to like...

Thank you all for your help and giving me the balls to attempt this. It was fun, but I'll leave the serious porting to the pros... I learned a lot and this is a fun hobby but I don't have the time to do this except for a few friends. It is fun to take a saw that has seen better days and get it back to it's former glory or even better...