Cross Performance MMWS 066

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of the things I liked most about the Cross 660 kits is the piston was lighter than OEM and had wider skirts. This is VERY UNUSUAL! I have not had any problems running the piston and rings that come with the kit (with most kits it is advisable to run Caber rings).

The bottom of the Exhaust Port (the one you can't see) almost always needs chamfering or you will hang a ring.

I have also seen bore alignment problems reported, but I myself did not encounter that problem.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are the transfers cross section and ring off death getting any better now?

No ring of death, transfer tunnels looked good and I didn't have to take a lot out of them. Exhaust wasn't terribly high, around 167 duration. 0.020" out of the squish brought the exhaust down to where I wanted without getting the intake too long, still 0.055" from free porting and has plenty of compression. The only complain I had with the stock ports is the transfers open intake side first by 0.060", which is 6 deg opening.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No ring of death, transfer tunnels looked good and I didn't have to take a lot out of them. Exhaust wasn't terribly high, around 167 duration. 0.020" out of the squish brought the exhaust down to where I wanted without getting the intake too long, still 0.055" from free porting and has plenty of compression. The only complain I had with the stock ports is the transfers open intake side first by 0.060", which is 6 deg opening.
Cool.
That's quite a split 6 degrees. Easily fixed through.
I still see OE jugs out 3 degrees side to side.

These big bore jugs mostly sucked but one I saved you could take off 0.020 and be about out of plating up top. This one has decent meat to open the ports a lot. Exhaust is flat top and bottom no chamfers on anything. Good one to try out. Had no scratch when these MMWS were available. This one is a free port as is. Drop in the piston and you see 0.015. This piston is junk anyway. Hard plating though.

Just pulled off the worst chainsaw cylinder transfers I've ever seen... in an OE 361. It was lazy but ran ok. One primary port has a booger so big at the opening it's a three port.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still have a full kit I have not put together yet. I remember the cylinder in the kit I received, needed some work

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No problem with a bit of cleaning up the ports. The BEST aspect of the cylinder was the DE-COMP. I spent some time tweaking the de-comp and it is an EASY starter. Crikey, the difference in starting from a stock 064 to this 92cc ported jug is more than night and day. Oh yeah, it also has more power...

Tomo6400

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
One of the things I liked most about the Cross 660 kits is the piston was lighter than OEM and had wider skirts. This is VERY UNUSUAL! I have not had any problems running the piston and rings that come with the kit (with most kits it is advisable to run Caber rings).

The bottom of the Exhaust Port (the one you can't see) almost always needs chamfering or you will hang a ring.

I have also seen bore alignment problems reported, but I myself did not encounter that problem.
Is your 066 cross cylinder and piston still on the saw mike if so have you put much time on it and how’s it holding up ?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is your 066 cross cylinder and piston still on the saw mike if so have you put much time on it and how’s it holding up ?

I currently have 2 saws running the Cross P+C, they both run well, have been used for milling, and I've had no problems with them.

One is the OEM 066 with stock Cross P+C (with BGD) that is in the HL Supply video. I believe the only work I did to that cylinder was to camfer the ports.

The other one (on an all Asian saw, except for the piston pin bearing) has been ported and did 8.6 Hp on the dyno. Love using it to noodle large Oak and Hard Maple rounds so I can lift the into the splitter!

I've not had any problems with those P+Cs.

Another Asian 660 with a Cross Cylinder and Meteor piston is being used daily by a pro firewood place, and they love it ... no problems, but I insisted they run Saber at 40:1 in it.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 2 I got look cooked like they are covered in oxide. The honing doesn't go very close to the top of the cylinder, but it is hard to see with how dirty it is. I'll know better when I start working on one. The plating at the port edges (bottom of exhaust and intake especially) can be quite sharp, and the piston can firmly catch the bottom of the intake port. Should be easy stuff to fix. Otherwise they look as good as the old batch, much better than many cheap aftermarket kits, so I'm happy so far.

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently bought one and the ports were ok only had to do a little messaging and add a little better chamfer, I did have to drill out the mounting holes to make it fit the 660 I put it on. I've run about 13 tanks through it now and it's quite stout I don't have a compression tester but I can say it's got to be above 180psi. Also the kit now comes with Caber rings.