Clint's Hybrid

riverrat2

Semper Fidelis
Local time
4:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might give mine a touch more intake, what would you think about grinding a small half a circle in the bottom of the Piston skirt
its been done before. more so in the old school era of woods porting.

I've gone back in and removed a millimeter on the Intake skirt on one of my first hybrids to give it a bit more intake duration/timing and it was a good move as it pulls a 28 w/full comp in oak/hickory hardwood with authority, never tried the half circle but have heard of it being done before with good results

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, since we were talking about dumb things we have done, i can contribute!

One of my dumb friends built a pipe bomb and blew up a phone booth, then walked directly home ... in the snow! Yea, he got busted!

My dumb idea was putting chlorine tablets from the pool in one of our smoke bombs. Hissed like a jet engine, and shot bright orange flame 20' into the air. Also burned a hole in the street. We decided not to do that any more!

Oh, and I enjoy all the porting #s being discussed, I'm learning, I'm learning! But I see very little about the high & width of ports being discussed, and the impact they have on performance (other than large upper transfers sometimes hurting performance). Is more width just generally desirable, and height just not as important as the timing?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, don't know if Al mentioned it, but we were real surprised to see how much wider the Meteor piston skirts (for the MS460) were than the OEM Stihl. You would not want to put an OEM piston in a saw that had been ported for a Meteor.

So, if you want wider ports in your hybrid, I guess the Meteor piston is the way to go.

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also, don't know if Al mentioned it, but we were real surprised to see how much wider the Meteor piston skirts (for the MS460) were than the OEM Stihl. You would not want to put an OEM piston in a saw that had been ported for a Meteor.

So, if you want wider ports in your hybrid, I guess the Meteor piston is the way to go.
Chit, now you tell me. I used OEM.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, since we were talking about dumb things we have done, i can contribute!

One of my dumb friends built a pipe bomb and blew up a phone booth, then walked directly home ... in the snow! Yea, he got busted!

My dumb idea was putting chlorine tablets from the pool in one of our smoke bombs. Hissed like a jet engine, and shot bright orange flame 20' into the air. Also burned a hole in the street. We decided not to do that any more!

Oh, and I enjoy all the porting #s being discussed, I'm learning, I'm learning! But I see very little about the high & width of ports being discussed, and the impact they have on performance (other than large upper transfers sometimes hurting performance). Is more width just generally desirable, and height just not as important as the timing?
The height is the numbers. You measure the top of the port on all of them besides the intake. You can have real tall ports. The 7900 I have here is 1/4 taller than it was stock. On the stihls the upper transfers can get real tall on a few of them. I don't widen them any.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Wider ports are just a fad Mike

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a brown half circle in the bottom of piston pants.
I am guessing pretty short duration?
What do you expect in terms of long term durability with this mod?
Do you think your choice in oil mix and ratio played a part?
Just trying to learn.
Dave

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am guessing pretty short duration?
What do you expect in terms of long term durability with this mod?
Do you think your choice in oil mix and ratio played a part?
Just trying to learn.
Dave
You are far too interested in what's goin on in Brush Apes pants my friend.

:facepalm: