High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

CLEARCUT meets the 500i

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Is it still down running between 10 & 11 grand only or has it picking up some as it breaks in? Other gentlemen said his had a 14,025 high reading when it was plugged in? Yeah it's all good when it's 'undercut/back cut' "down the hill Bill" but as you said, it's certainly be a problem in the brush. Not to mention dog hair and limbs. Limbing should be a fair bit better with square ground on a low rev...But still.
After a cut in something of some size, it seems to hit a rev-limiter, then as I’m brushing out the next tree, it’s low in top rpm. When cutting small trees, you have to push on the saw, and you can hear it clear up. Any other saw will be hitting the rev-limiter easily by now as far as the break-in is concerned.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder with such a cold tune how that is affecting bedding in of the rings and cylinder you only get one go at it that window would be comeing to an end.
Stick some .404 RS on the sucker and make it work for it's keep get some heat happening.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
10:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If a 88cc 390xp and 91cc 661c can stay loaded cutting the stuff they do without a black and wet exhaust... so can a 500i. No excuse. But it might just be a break in program of sorts? Hope you guys get it figured.

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did. It seemed the same to me. Maybe leaner for a second or so, then back to rich.

When you have run some more fuel through it and it is really broken in and it is not better, go to a good dealer and let him hook it up to check the system and fuel numbers. Then you will know what`s really going on and he would also be able to recalibrate it, if it is necessary. But at the moment, just use it and let the saw work hard.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
3:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
After a cut in something of some size, it seems to hit a rev-limiter, then as I’m brushing out the next tree, it’s low in top rpm. When cutting small trees, you have to push on the saw, and you can hear it clear up. Any other saw will be hitting the rev-limiter easily by now as far as the break-in is concerned.
OK, thanks. That's a perfect description. That is exactly what happens when you richer up your low to stop from the high running away with a big air leak. I ran a saw like that for 10 days before I got to it. Turned out it had a huge rip in the intake boot that opened up on the job (I would find out later). It ran exactly how your saw runs. I had an excavator raking for me and pushing so I was able to deal with It, It was all property development in mature Black Cottonwood and maple. It was all going through the grinder. In other words "all 'undercut/back cut'.

Pretty unprofessional working away with my one f* up saw. I had one excavator with me and 3 chasing us that were raking up and pulling stumps and chucking trees.

* I had just cooked my newer saw which a had an AM piston in. (Last time I used one ever again).
I have seen a 365 tuned like that that was used for a stumping saw. It wouldn't clean up without pressure either. I can't imagine it was all that happy looking inside? Shine a light and see how black the top of the piston is?

How would one tell that a smart saw is not compensating for a air leak? This would be one sign if you ask me. Lots of new model saws get leaks. Usually intake leaks. Not that I bought one but the 2010 372 xt was the worst.
You may not be able to do anything in terms of recalibrate and such right now but you can test this for vac?

I don't really know the saw but can you try spray a carb cleaner or wd 40 around the intake/ throttle body area with a nozzle? If it manages to find a vac leak and blocks out the air then the saw should start 'quivering'
I would go over the whole thing and make sure it's tight so you absolutely have done all you can do.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Vac testing it can not hurt. It could just have a bad seal or boot or throttle body leak. Low fuel pressure on a throttle body GM product from the 80's runs like chit. Always rich a wot. Just a few thoughts.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm thinking the muff mod made it eat extra fuel … I did a 440 big bore and opened up the dp cover, and it ate fuel like I could not believe. Put a normal DP cover on it and it was much better.

If you fixed the cover, maybe the computer just needs some time to lean out. When my 261 went into "rich mode", it took about 6 tanks to return to normal.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if there any pre-programmed settings that make it run fat for X amount of time after original startup to allow for break in.

Could be fuel I guess, forgive me if I didn’t pay attention and that was already said.

Most of the saws I build start out much fatter on the H needle when they are first assembled. When the rings stop allowing blow by, the saws need to be really leaned out. Most even leak unburned oil out of the muffler for X amount of tanks, the it stops.

I wonder if it’s just gonna clean up as time goes on. Judging form the first vs. latest pics inside the muffler, it already has. It could just be blow by that’s coking in the muffler. Piston certainly looks fine.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much time/tanks has this saw run? Seems like you guys would be breaking a saw in after a week with the amount of cutting you do.
I seated a caber ring in a 372 with a day of cutting yesterday, I ran 1 1/2 gallons through it. I notice most saws are broken in after a day or two if they are ran good. But the 500i might have a break in program which could take longer... the 572 took me a while before it’s run in program stopped cutting its balls off.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Vac testing it can not hurt. It could just have a bad seal or boot or throttle body leak. Low fuel pressure on a throttle body GM product from the 80's runs like chit. Always rich a wot. Just a few thoughts.
It will be pressure/vac tested here soon just to be sure, like you said.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I wish we had some timber to run it hard in, but we are in a salvage unit, and it’s not so much tree to tree to tree. It’s more like windfall to windfall to tree. And they are pretty small trees on this job.

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
3:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I wish we had some timber to run it hard in, but we are in a salvage unit, and it’s not so much tree to tree to tree. It’s more like windfall to windfall to tree. And they are pretty small trees on this job.
I don't know who ever came up this the name "JACKPOT!!!" I never felt lucky to come across them. Maybe because you can cut them all up in sequence and they all can come down at once. Unfortunately it usually equals less money.