Cleaning Cylinders

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Purple power from the dollar store works good too but if you don't rinse it good afterwards it will corrode.

6b1866f7-74d8-46e4-aabc-7ab22ab87ea8_2.2826fa9d8cf1f1dd8929563e4010913c.jpeg

1Snowcat

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the Mean Green darken the aluminum or no?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the Mean Green darken the aluminum or no?
LA’s Totally Awesome Orange will darken it instantly. But it is an amazing degreaser for the rest of the saw. Regular Mean Green does not darken the aluminum that I’ve tried it on

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Purple power from the dollar store works good too but if you don't rinse it good afterwards it will corrode.

View attachment 297647

That's what I've been using, full strength. I cook 'em for about an hour at 30% heat. It doesn't get to boiling hot, but hot enough and it works well.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's what I've been using, full strength. I cook 'em for about an hour at 30% heat. It doesn't get to boiling hot, but hot enough and it works well.
I wish my USC had a bigger heater. 4 hours + to get it to 80 Canadian

1Snowcat

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used Purple Power for years on snowmobile clutches it gets the grime off amazingly well but, it does darken stuff a bit...looking for something that brightens

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used Purple Power for years on snowmobile clutches it gets the grime off amazingly well but, it does darken stuff a bit...looking for something that brightens
Regular LA’s Totally Awesome won’t darken aluminum, it actually brightens it. I’ve used Mean Green in the past and it was good too

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
1:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just cleaned up a 3120xp Walbro carburetor in 50/50 Mean Green and water and it came out the ultrasonic shiny like new aluminum, did however have a minor reaction to the zinc plated steel parts(blackening).
I think I'll revert back to my old standby for de-greasing stuff you don't want messed up, industrial Simple Green. :D

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just cleaned up a 3120xp Walbro carburetor in 50/50 Mean Green and water and it came out the ultrasonic shiny like new aluminum, did however have a minor reaction to the zinc plated steel parts(blackening).
I think I'll revert back to my old standby for de-greasing stuff you don't want messed up, industrial Simple Green. :D

I've used countless gallons of mean green. Never had any blackening of any parts. How long did you leave these parts in the solution?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used countless gallons of mean green. Never had any blackening of any parts. How long did you leave these parts in the solution?

I buzzed it that evening and left in overnight and took out the next morning, so obviously too long, as I didn't see any harm to come from doing so.
The aluminum, brass and bronze plated parts shined like a new penny.
I also(come to think of it) did an old McCulloch Zama C1-C7 without the extra sit and it was fine. Even restored the polish to the bore which helps the carburetor function properly.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That little 2L Canadian I got just for carbs heats up much fasterer than the great big one, just for knowledge.
I was borderline on getting 1, sure as hell ain’t getting another lol. I might hunt for one with the bigger heater in it, though. Or maybe pick up a submersible water tank heater

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was borderline on getting 1, sure as hell ain’t getting another lol. I might hunt for one with the bigger heater in it, though. Or maybe pick up a submersible water tank heater

I'm mulling over whether or not a mid size would be handy. Cause more stuff is what I need right now. :rolleyes: Lol

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think anything that is suppose to heat up sucks without being insulated. Even using a crock pot you can cut down the time needed a sustainable amount buy wrapping them with a few towels. The big crock was wrapped around with a long pillow last run. Piping hot in under an hour from room temp with a two gallon oval about half full with water in a bag. Going to need a tiny wax pot for carbs imo. Way back when we used a big coffee cup with boiling water or an old enameled pot for the small stuff.

A portable dishwasher filled with Tide was what we used at the saw shop. Plug off the top basket feed port and scoop out the sand. I found it easier to pump the goo in buckets to settle and then scoop the scum off and run it again. Finally rinse was just hot water.

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Dishwasher pods suck!
It darkened my aluminum and left the oil stain behind, chit. Never again.

What green stuff is this your using to brighten them?