Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
3:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My boys raised and showed cattle when they were in FFA. We had competitions at the county fairs but it was always for kids. I had no idea it was such a huge business.
Thank you for the information and insight.
I did see watch an episode of Pig Royalty once but thought it looked mostly contrived and I didn’t watch it again.

What I was talking about was for the "kids". I was an Agriculture Instructor and FFA Advisor years ago. This is the results from the 2023 Iowa State Fair 4-H and FFA sale of champions.

The Grand Champion FFA Market Hog brought in an all-time record for all species at $150,000.

- The Reserve Grand Champion 4-H Market Steer sold for a record price of $70,000.

- The Grand Champion 4-H Market Heifer brought in a record price of $90,000.

- The Reserve Grand Champion 4-H Market Heifer sold for $52,500.

- The Grand Champion 4-H Market Lamb brought in a record price at $23,000.

- The Grand Champion FFA Market Lamb sold for $28,000.

- The Grand Champion 4-H Meat Goat brought in a record price of $25,000.

- The Grand Champion 4-H Market Broilers brought in a record of $12,000.

Each participant in the sale takes home a check for 75 percent of the animal's sale price, while he IFAA keeps 25 percent to fund the scholarship program and cover sale expenses.

In addition to their earnings, the exhibitors of the Grand Champion 4-H Market Steer, Grand Champion FFA Market Hog, Grand Champion 4-H Market Lamb, and Grand Champion 4-H Breeding Heifer earn the use of a new aluminum livestock trailer for one year, courtesy of Featherlite, Inc., of Cresco. The Grand Champion 4-H and FFA Market Meat Goats receive aluminum toppers.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Do the mech interview, for the experience if nothing else.

The HR at the company that I retired from went from looking at people with hands on experience to how many paper degrees you had. Some of the folks that came and went with the degree portfolio's were somewhat book smart, but many had no fkin idea on how to apply it in real life. Much of what I did was micro medical electronics, including circuit design, the need for R&D of new components, and followed through with pwba layout and design.

Learn what the "key" words are for your dream job (and what's listed in the job posting) and do some reading to get a basic understanding of what they claim they are looking for. It might be just enough to get the in-person interview with the work group personnel.

Good luck

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interviewed for the mechanic job today. They seem to be nice folks, I tried to be as honest as I could with them regarding my skills and the fact I've been out of that trade for a long time. So we shall see what happens, I would find it strange if they picked me for it!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When it rains, it pours. My current employer just posted an opening that is within my education and job experience that pays more than anything I've tried for thus far. So, I put my name in the hat for it. This one also comes with a state car and travel within a multi-county area so it might be the best of all.