jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
1:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So here is a new wrinkle. The job I've wanted for years has just opened up, and it's within my field of education and bike distance from my house. I'm going to try for this job as hard as I can. So, would it be the honorable thing to cancel the interview on Tuesday for the mechanic job?

If your heart isn't set on getting the mechanic job, then yes I would cancel the interview. If you think your chances are slim of getting the other job and you still want to compete for the mechanic position, then it may be worth interviewing for it. Then if it looks like you're in the running for the other job, you can always decline the mechanic position and let them know what's going on.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
3:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your heart isn't set on getting the mechanic job, then yes I would cancel the interview. If you think your chances are slim of getting the other job and you still want to compete for the mechanic position, then it may be worth interviewing for it. Then if it looks like you're in the running for the other job, you can always decline the mechanic position and let them know what's going on.
Couldn’t have said it better, myself. Solid advice here.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I got out of college and was looking for a Agriculture/FFA teaching position the first interview I went on was for a district one county south, Westmer. I was very interested in it but I could tell about 15 minutes in that I was a courtesy interview. It dawned on me that Julie H. was graduating from the University of Illinois that year and she was going to get the job being that it was her home district. She did get the job and I was happy for her. She was there for 7 years but as lives change she married a great guy and they started a family. She worked the first semester and then she took maternity leave in January so they were looking for a long term sub to finish the year. I had resigned from where I was teaching as I thought we were going to greatly increase the farm size and cattle herd That did not happen so I applied for the long term subbing job. As I was interviewing I once again got the sense it was a "courtesy" interview. As it turns out a former Westmer board member and show pig jockey, Allen H. wanted the job. Of course they gave it to him. Well Julie decided not to return so it became a open position in May and they had to open it to interviews. I interviewed again but this time I knew what to expect. I walked in shook the principal's hand and after a few basic interactions I said "look I know this is just a courtesy interview. You are going to hire your current sub Allen H. for the position." The principal looked a bit sheepish and said yes. We spent the rest of the time just shooting the bull. A few weeks later I went on to accept a Industrial Technology teaching position in a different district. I was there 3 years and Allen was at Westmer 3 years but since he always thought the grass was greener on the other side he resigned to go back to being a show pig jockey. So here comes round #4. I interview for the fourth time with Westmer. I was all smiles because I had a good position already and knew I had a very strong possibility of an even better position in my home district. I interviewed but this time the principal had changed. He and the superintendent were dead serious. This clearly was not a courtesy interview. I barely got home when they called offering me the job. I told them I would consider it but I was weighing other options. They called a week later and I could tell they were damn serious as they hinted at going what is called "off contract". In other words they will negotiate a salary higher than the contract. I said let me give it some more thought. Well a week later they called again but by this time I knew I had sealed up the Industrial Technology job in my home district. I was pleased to tell them "thanks but no thanks". After 4 damn times they finally think I am good enough?? They ended up hiring my old Agriculture/FFA instructor from when I was in school. He was very outspoken and had issues with administration. They released him after one year. Well now comes the next twist. I was teaching Industrial Technology in my home district but the plan when they hired me was to just teach one year and then when the Agriculture/FFA instructor left I would take it over. Well when that time came I decided to stay in my position. I was then on the hiring committee for the Agriculture/FFA position. Well low and behold who is one of the interviewees....Allen H, the guy that I was passed over for twice at Westmer. I did not hold that against him though. When we were ranking candidates he was not my top pick but in the end we did hire him. We went on to teach together for many years.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What he said

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I got out of college and was looking for a Agriculture/FFA teaching position the first interview I went on was for a district one county south, Westmer. I was very interested in it but I could tell about 15 minutes in that I was a courtesy interview. It dawned on me that Julie H. was graduating from the University of Illinois that year and she was going to get the job being that it was her home district. She did get the job and I was happy for her. She was there for 7 years but as lives change she married a great guy and they started a family. She worked the first semester and then she took maternity leave in January so they were looking for a long term sub to finish the year. I had resigned from where I was teaching as I thought we were going to greatly increase the farm size and cattle herd That did not happen so I applied for the long term subbing job. As I was interviewing I once again got the sense it was a "courtesy" interview. As it turns out a former Westmer board member and show pig jockey, Allen H. wanted the job. Of course they gave it to him. Well Julie decided not to return so it became a open position in May and they had to open it to interviews. I interviewed again but this time I knew what to expect. I walked in shook the principal's hand and after a few basic interactions I said "look I know this is just a courtesy interview. You are going to hire your current sub Allen H. for the position." The principal looked a bit sheepish and said yes. We spent the rest of the time just shooting the bull. A few weeks later I went on to accept a Industrial Technology teaching position in a different district. I was there 3 years and Allen was at Westmer 3 years but since he always thought the grass was greener on the other side he resigned to go back to being a show pig jockey. So here comes round #4. I interview for the fourth time with Westmer. I was all smiles because I had a good position already and knew I had a very strong possibility of an even better position in my home district. I interviewed but this time the principal had changed. He and the superintendent were dead serious. This clearly was not a courtesy interview. I barely got home when they called offering me the job. I told them I would consider it but I was weighing other options. They called a week later and I could tell they were damn serious as they hinted at going what is called "off contract". In other words they will negotiate a salary higher than the contract. I said let me give it some more thought. Well a week later they called again but by this time I knew I had sealed up the Industrial Technology job in my home district. I was pleased to tell them "thanks but no thanks". After 4 damn times they finally think I am good enough?? They ended up hiring my old Agriculture/FFA instructor from when I was in school. He was very outspoken and had issues with administration. They released him after one year. Well now comes the next twist. I was teaching Industrial Technology in my home district but the plan when they hired me was to just teach one year and then when the Agriculture/FFA instructor left I would take it over. Well when that time came I decided to stay in my position. I was then on the hiring committee for the Agriculture/FFA position. Well low and behold who is one of the interviewees....Allen H, the guy that I was passed over for twice at Westmer. I did not hold that against him though. When we were ranking candidates he was not my top pick but in the end we did hire him. We went on to teach together for many years.
Is “show pig jockey” a serious profession?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of great advice here, you guys are awesome. If the dream job hadn't opened because the guy holding it suddenly died then yes, I would be moving full speed ahead on the mechanic job. It pays more and is a shorter drive than my current job. One problem is my qualifications don't precisely match what is in the dream job posting so there is the chance they will say I'm not eligible for it. I have no idea on how flexible they are about that, and the guy listed as the contact person has never returned a single e-mail I have sent him about other jobs at the same place.

So, maybe the smart move is to go ahead and interview for the mechanic job anyway. They can't offer anybody the job until everything goes through the frozen molasses of the personnel cabinet so I would have some time to think about it.

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One problem is my qualifications don't precisely match what is in the dream job posting so there is the chance they will say I'm not eligible for it.
This is not always a show stopper, many times prior experience in other things are good enough to get you in the door and later they can teach or send you to classes to learn the rest. I had that with one job, they said that my qualifications would only be used about 15% of the time and they would train me OJT to do the rest. Yes there is a chance they will say you are ineligible, but there is also the chance they will say that you are. One thing I always bring up in an interview is that I am always willing to learn!

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is “show pig jockey” a serious profession?
Hell yes it is! It is not something I am interested in but the folks that are successful at it make huge money. You would be surprised with a shot of semen is worth. The cattle side is even more lucrative. Artificial insemination has been around for decades as well as egg flushing. Take a look at your Missouri State Fair last year. The top barrow brought $14,000 and after all the additional incentives it ended at $50,000. That animal was harvested as it was a barrow. If you have a top gilt you can do better on the breeding side. Win in Kansas City at the American Royal, Louisville, or Denver and the money pours in.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hell yes it is! It is not something I am interested in but the folks that are successful at it make huge money. You would be surprised with a shot of semen is worth. The cattle side is even more lucrative. Artificial insemination has been around for decades as well as egg flushing. Take a look at your Missouri State Fair last year. The top barrow brought $14,000 and after all the additional incentives it ended at $50,000. That animal was harvested as it was a barrow. If you have a top gilt you can do better on the breeding side. Win in Kansas City at the American Royal, Louisville, or Denver and the money pours in.
I understand the breeding side of it. I thought you were talking about some guy who traveled around and just showed pigs at pig shows. I couldn’t imagine that being a way to earn a living.

Reactions: Lnk

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I understand the breeding side of it. I thought you were talking about some guy who traveled around and just showed pigs at pig shows. I couldn’t imagine that being a way to earn a living.
It is a great living for those who like it. Yes a show pig jockey does travel around the country showing hogs. That is how they build their business and clientele. If they win a big show then their name becomes front and center........for a season or two. Once they are known on the circuit folks will buy what are called show pig prospects from them. A show pig jockey is always buying, selling, and showing hogs......hence the name.

This "reality" show was far from reality.

Hell we have chicken guys here in Illinois that go all the way to Texas for a chicken show.

Reactions: Lnk

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a great living for those who like it. Yes a show pig jockey does travel around the country showing hogs. That is how they build their business and clientele. If they win a big show then their name becomes front and center........for a season or two. Once they are known on the circuit folks will buy what are called show pig prospects from them. A show pig jockey is always buying, selling, and showing hogs......hence the name.

This "reality" show was far from reality.

Hell we have chicken guys here in Illinois that go all the way to Texas for a chicken show.
My boys raised and showed cattle when they were in FFA. We had competitions at the county fairs but it was always for kids. I had no idea it was such a huge business.
Thank you for the information and insight.
I did see watch an episode of Pig Royalty once but thought it looked mostly contrived and I didn’t watch it again.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So here is a new wrinkle. The job I've wanted for years has just opened up, and it's within my field of education and bike distance from my house. I'm going to try for this job as hard as I can. So, would it be the honorable thing to cancel the interview on Tuesday for the mechanic job?
Always go for any interview you get offered. Being a good interviewee takes practice and the only way to practice is to do it. Also, don’t ever be afraid of applying for a job that you might not be qualified on paper, unless it requires a specific licence or piece of paper qualifications are often written by HR but irrelevant to the actual jobs or the managers doing the hiring.

Our HR advertises for specific experience and as managers our motto is Hire for Attitude, train for skill. Finding people with the right attitude to do the job is harder than finding someone with experience in the industry. We keep pointing out to HR how many of the top performers had no experience in the industry when they started with us but she continues the same hiring profiles…

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Always go for any interview you get offered. Being a good interviewee takes practice and the only way to practice is to do it. Also, don’t ever be afraid of applying for a job that you might not be qualified on paper, unless it requires a specific licence or piece of paper qualifications are often written by HR but irrelevant to the actual jobs or the managers doing the hiring.

Our HR advertises for specific experience and as managers our motto is Hire for Attitude, train for skill. Finding people with the right attitude to do the job is harder than finding someone with experience in the industry. We keep pointing out to HR how many of the top performers had no experience in the industry when they started with us but she continues the same hiring profiles…
Bingo, someone who’s passionate will put in their best effort, and be eager to learn and succeed.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

When I retired three years ago, our HR dept advertised a job opening for my position. When I read the job description, I realized that I wasn’t qualified for it. None of the other seven managers in the work group were qualified either.