Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was taught to not show my cards until I was ready to make a move.
I agree fully and I have a few real life stories about that. I can add them later but right now I am sitting outside enjoying to nice night smoking a bowl. I do not type well on my phone.

Tobacco bowl that is.... 17183299917098547706643401462957.jpg

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All I can say is that we have a dynamic at my current job where we really trust each other. Other jobs I've had, yeah, I always kept it on the down low until it was time to put in notice. When you put in your notice is when you really find out what they think about you. A few jobs I've had, they said how about we keep you in the system in case you change your mind? Even though I never took them up on that it was nice that they offered. The job I had before this one, they were tired of me and I was tired of them. Everybody was happy when I cleaned out my desk, me especially!

I'm acutely feeling nervous about this, even though I haven't been offered the job and I doubt I would be the favorite given how I'm over-educated for it and I'm not coming from the same line of work. Oh well...

Last edited:

damifino

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm acutely feeling nervous about this, even though I haven't been offered the job and I doubt I would be the favorite given how I'm over-educated for it and I'm not coming from the same line of work. Oh well...
Feeling nervous is NORMAL!! There is normally high anxiety when making job change. Don't know if you are a pray'n man but ask God for his guidance. I'm a pray'n man, I will pray for you.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Telling an current employer can help or hurt you. Every situation is different.

In the Fall of 1999 tragically the long time Agriculture loan officer at our local bank died of a heart attack while out jogging. A few months later in December we were some sort of a Agriculture dinner and the loan officer who had just done the loan on a farm for us was there . I asked him what they were planning to do about Tom's position. I thought maybe he was just going to be on his own now. He said no, they wanted to find another person. I told him I was interested. He told me to get ahold of him and he would get the ball rolling. Well it was early January when I interviewed. They wanted to hire me but the problem as I was teaching Agriculture/FFA at the time and was under contract until June 30, 2000. Of course they cannot jail you for leaving a job but in Iowa if you walk out of a teaching contract they can revoked your license and charge you an advertising fee that can run hundreds of dollars a week. Knowing the answer would be no I still asked if they could wait until May 31. Of course it was no.

Now as it turns out this is one time when I should have told my current employer. A few years later I was talking with my Principal and I told him about the position that I had turned down. He said "Why the hell did you do that, we would have worked with you to figure out a solution.".

Sometimes you win
Sometimes you lose

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had my interview for the school maintenance job this morning with no surprises. Typical questions, like how do you deal with difficult people and describe yourself in five adjectives. The people seem nice and it's 15 minutes from the house. As said before, I don't think I'm the favorite to get the job. Also, there is a salary range from way less than what I make now to a few hundred over it per month. So, even if they offered me the job they would have to pay on the high end of the scale to get me to say yes.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did not realize you were talking about a school maintenance job. I hate to be a "Negative Nancy" but I would be at least very cautious ...maybe run like hell. Huge drawbacks to that. I assume all of the Kentucky public schools are ran by individual school boards correct?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's weird because some school jobs are under the district and others under the state. This one is in fact a state job just like what I have now. In any event I don't think it's probable that I would get it and they would give me enough pay to take it. Supposedly a really good state job that is within my educational field is going to open up nearby soon, so I'm stoked about that.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's weird because some school jobs are under the district and others under the state. This one is in fact a state job just like what I have now. In any event I don't think it's probable that I would get it and they would give me enough pay to take it. Supposedly a really good state job that is within my educational field is going to open up nearby soon, so I'm stoked about that.
They don’t carry over your state experience and pay accordingly from job to job?

That’s how it works at Mayo Clinic where my wife works. Even if she takes a job in an entirely different field, her years of work experience within Mayo count towards total experience and the pay offer is adjusted so.