huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
12:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most guys that are actively selling chain take their leftover scrap and spin it into the next loop along with the first part of another roll. Usually the only stuff you’ll find cheap is something that is discontinued or an oddball that doesn’t fit anything nowadays

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpg I had good luck on eBay years ago. Haven’t needed any chain really to hunt lately

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
11:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I keep my eyes open for good deals on full or partial rolls of chain on Ebay. Sometimes you can score some good deals, but I have tried to steer toward 3/8" 0.050" and .325" 0.050" as I just don't sell enough of the other gauges to justify having them around.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
5:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got me some more chains 14” 0.50. The eBay ad said 5 chains some newish and some in need of sharpening :rolleyes:.
I got sent 6.

i got my 2nd hand stihl usg out for the first time . :aplastao:.

i had a few teething problems with the first time use, yeh I should have read the instructions again:deal:

anyhow a bit of time later I was finding the usg a breeze to use and the grinding disk was somuch better than those pink things on the Oregon knockoffs I didn’t get any bluing of the teeth:clap2:

4F7A2FBF-B5E7-434F-B05F-FF058C2AB992.jpeg 7844B769-FAF5-473F-AE87-22159853155A.jpeg B6537A60-8980-45EB-A461-BF225AE6FF8E.jpeg

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve been on eBay again…looking for some chains on the cheaper than new etc. 😏

So I found this ad, 3 stihl chains 55dl one new & 2 used. You can read the ad of the screenshot pic.

Anyhow I paid £25.50 inc postage [$32] for the chains & sharpening kit.
And yes the new chain is a stihl 55dl .50 the used chain is I think an Oregon 55dl .50 and the other chain is a tri link 44dl .43 🙄🤔
So not a really correct listing, I was really expecting all 3 chains to be stihl chains as they were in stihl boxes. And not that they just fit a stihl chainsaw🤦‍♂️

So I’ve sent the seller a message 🤞 but I’ve just noticed he wants any questions sent to is other email account 🤔

The eBay link here

The first pic is the chains I got . The othe 2 are the lt ems he listed and the listing

Attachments

• IMG_6310.jpeg
    IMG_6310.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3861.png
    IMG_3861.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3860.jpeg
    IMG_3860.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 16

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not a bad deal, considering the cost of a new, STIHL chain, and the sharpening kit by itself.

But not what the ad says.

Contact the seller only via eBay, and enter a complaint with eBay. Keep it within the eBay system.

They will likely rule in your favor, and you may end up with an even better deal.

I suppose that it is possible that the seller is not that familiar with chains. But the listing clearly spells out something other than what you received.

Philbert

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thanks Philbert,
I’ve messaged him via his preferred method this morning but only stating I’ve sent you a message on eBay and and also copy/pasted the eBay message.
Which is this :;

Good afternoon, Thankyou for prompt dispatch of the chains and sharpening kit.

However I have a problem, I would say the some of the chains are not as described in your listing.

What I received is
1 x stihl 55dl 1.3mm chain this is the new chain in the listing. This is as described.

1 x other make (oregon ?) 55dl 1.3mm this is the used chain. I would say this is not really as described because it’s not a stihl chin but in a stihl box.

1x other make ( tri link) 44dl 1.1mm this is the other used chain. This is definitely not as described because it’s not the same length or the same drive link thickness and not a stihl chain but in a stihl box.​

yes I will escalate it if I don’t get a reply in a few days.

Btw if he offers me a partial refund , I willl be fair and consider what is offered.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When You buy on eBay, then You communicate through eBay!
If seller shipped other than what is described on his ad and won't cooperate with settling any disputes file a refund claim.

That is eBay 101.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like that seller is ignoring my message 🤷‍♂️

I looked at the eBay listing, and where you'd raise and item not as described, it just points you in the direction of a request to returning it. I think I will probably just leave some negative feedback.
🤔

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like that seller is ignoring my message 🤷‍♂️

I looked at the eBay listing, and where you'd raise and item not as described, it just points you in the direction of a request to returning it. I think I will probably just leave some negative feedback.
🤔
Start a case with eBay. If the seller doesn’t respond in a couple days, you’ll get your money back.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Search ‘eBay Resolving Issues With Sellers’

They will help resolve the issue, if a genuine mistake.

You may get your money back and keep the item, if they suspect fraud.

If the seller is doing similar things in other sales / auctions, they make steps against them, protecting others.

Philbert

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks @Philbert & @huskihl 👍

Just so others know, the seller never replied to my original question about the chains in stihl boxes etc. via eBay messaging or his preferred method of contact. I even checked my spam folder !

I left it for a few days as you can see from my posting here in this thread. However once I started the returns process due to items not being as described. ( eBay automatically starts a returns when you say it’s not as described and provide pics & info, when you click next, you then get a QR code to get scanned at the post office)

Within 10mins I got a snotty reply ( funny how he says he says “I answered your query straight away and asked you what you want to do and you go to eBay ? Why? ) and also says don’t return and don’t buy from me again .

I can honestly say I didn’t really want this sort of outcome. I would have excepted a reduction in the original price I paid, but I guess the seller thought he'd just keep quiet ? Then bark at me 🤔

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The number of sleazeballs who hide behind Internet walls is unlimited (*NOT broadbrushing anyone on this forum!*).

It appears you stepped, innocently, into the mud of one. But, by calling them out, may have done a service for others. It’s not you trying to cheat that seller.

Lots of comments on eBay, good and bad, but I trust their buyer protection services, and am unafraid to use them. I understand that there are sleazeball buyers too, which makes me reluctant to sell there.

I prefer face-to-face, such as by Craig’sList, but that really limits the number of people reached.

Let us know how it works out for you, in the end.

Philbert

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a full refund from the seller and this message .
IMG_3866.jpeg

But like… he never actually responded to either of the messages !! ( eBay 1st & 2nd his preferred contacts private/business email)
That’s why I thought, ok… let’s step it up and bring in the eBay return policy .

I didn’t want to return it I just wanted a little reduction in the price I paid , one chain (the tr ilink) I will never use, the Oregon chain I could live with

So he actually lost out.

Edit, in his listing pics you can see in the 3rd box it’s actually a tri link chain lol. But I didn’t expect a 44dl .43

Attachments

• IMG_3853.png
    IMG_3853.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Last edited: