Chains: Used Once, Never Sharpened?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
11:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The tree service one is surprising. There is usually work on trucks and all in order for them to get the hours on a short day job.
Just speculating about the details. Sharpening is a skill that takes some people a while to master. It’s possible that this guy had turnover on his crew, or guys that were good enough to do the cutting, but not the sharpening. That might have meant screwing around with a bunch of dull chains, until they “got “it.

Philbert

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
5:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Lots of climbing jobs, there may be light cutting on the ground until it's all chipped up. Generally they just grab another saw from the truck if they hit something or there is a more experienced guy to file and junior guys don't file on the job. May lean while doing maintenance.
If he runs one ground guy with a climber then I could see him using chains the once if he has guys that can't file yet.

Eduardo K

I like caramel.
GoldMember
Local time
12:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just bought four loops of 84dl 3/8 semi chisel from the bay. Word is they were used once. I’m hoping the single use was to cut wood and not rocks. I have a 12v granberg sharpener and I’m hoping I can get the chains where I want them without burning through a few stones. I like gadgets and after using a file and joint for the last year I figured I could save some time with the powered version.
I’ll report back on how they show up and turn out. If I have time I’ll get some pics.
I learned to hand sharpen when I was 18 and always thought it was pretty simple. That said, I’m not capable of the artistry I see here, just able to get the teeth to cut and spit big chips.
If this works out I’ll be on the hunt for some chisel chain and try to learn how to square file. We’ll see.
Great thread and thanks for starting it.

Eduardo K

I like caramel.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I received my four "used once" chains last week.

Type and brand:
Three were Oregon LPX and one was a Husky H47 loop.

Condition:
One loop of LPX looked like it was only used once, the other three loops had a good bit of wear and bad filing. Nothing unfixable, but more wear than was advertised.

Net result:
I emailed the seller after examining the chain and asked if there was a mix up in shipping. They didn't confirm, but stated that they would gladly take the chain back and refund me for return shipping. I thanked them for the offer, but opted to keep the chains, for two reasons. First, I paid $40 for four of them and could easily use the worn chains for cutting dirty wood or trying to learn how to square file. Second, time is money and returning the chains would result with a loss of time and zero gain in goods.
If you plain on buying used chain over the internet, it would be wise to get some pictures. I'm guessing what I received as used once really meant rented once, and some rentals may last weeks.

Good luck
-e

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d buy some used chain. I’ve got a new to em breaker and spinner. I’ve broke and spun plenty of chain without proper tools but I’d imagine this makes it pretty easy to do. Maybe I’ll give it a go.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I received my four "used once" chains last week.

Type and brand:
Three were Oregon LPX and one was a Husky H47 loop.

Condition:
One loop of LPX looked like it was only used once, the other three loops had a good bit of wear and bad filing. Nothing unfixable, but more wear than was advertised.

Net result:
I emailed the seller after examining the chain and asked if there was a mix up in shipping. They didn't confirm, but stated that they would gladly take the chain back and refund me for return shipping. I thanked them for the offer, but opted to keep the chains, for two reasons. First, I paid $40 for four of them and could easily use the worn chains for cutting dirty wood or trying to learn how to square file. Second, time is money and returning the chains would result with a loss of time and zero gain in goods.
If you plain on buying used chain over the internet, it would be wise to get some pictures. I'm guessing what I received as used once really meant rented once, and some rentals may last weeks.

Good luck
-e

i second this reply.

those 10 chains I said earlier in the thread came, I have some better pic's than what was just the 10 chains in one pic.

the shorts is, I wish I didn’t bother..

the long is most were ok, 2 being stihl vanguard and not the end of the world but 2 others were about half way worn. But some had been used blunt for a while and the semi chisel had been rounded a fair way back and some had the chrome plating lifted as well.

to add to this I was thinking lopro .50 [1.3mm] the chains were .43 [1.1mm] and they were all stihl.. all safety (shark fin) chains except the vanguard

so setting up to sharpen 10 chains. Clean them and dry them. Get the grinder out and sharpen all chains left hand cutters (saves time switching the angles back and forth.) then switch to right cutters and do then all. The only thing was to adjust where the wheel hits the tooth.
Now I’m not gonna say about over heating the teeth

then there was the depth gauges. Fug I’d had enough for that day so I did it by hand another day.

filing depth gauges is apita when you have a lot of meat to take off in one go, and maybe more on one side that the other. Due to some one dulling one side more than the other..
So after thinking ive finished.. now it comes to the cutting test. So as I said before , I thought these chains were .50 so I looked up the listing again and to be far he said ms171 saw etc.
my misunderstanding was it’s a homeowner .43 and not .50.

well this is an easy fix as I’ve a saw a want to sell ms170 which I was using a .50 so I brought the correct Oregon bar for it cheap.

so the test cutting started. And Every chain needed me to go over the depth gauges again and some chains I needed to tickle the teeth, to which I found a few over heated and had to use a diamond stone in a dremmel type thing …… as the file skated over.

so a big long learning curve, I thought I’d enjoy it but I can’t say I want to endure this again. Albeit I have some used chains for dirty work and I can give a few extra in the saw sale..

So to finish it up,, It’s easier to keep on top of your own chains .
I'll add a few pics of teeth

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After.
412C2DED-6033-452E-B515-C6D0AE014B40.jpegF69A4FC8-9BF5-4C53-9D46-BD6B08CA6E79.jpeg62F3570F-C397-4F7A-9F94-4D98F13C7D7F.jpeg2B16F9A4-E45E-45E8-ACD4-4226932BEC0C.jpeg927CBCEC-6387-460C-B78B-7FAC2DED3536.jpeg
Pics 2 and 5 are the same chain after sharpening, it was the worst chain and just taking so much meat off in one go, seemed wasteful, but it was also wasteful in time taking it off later :(

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was also inspired by this thread and bought 6 loops of stihl 72dl 3/8 of eBay. Paid 70 for six shipped. Received 1 3/8 chain and 5 .325 chains instead and I don’t run any.325. The seller refunded me 60 bucks so I can’t really complain but I’ll probably stick to new Oregon and Husky chain from here out. At least when I can find it on sale.

Interesting idea though, if I could find a bucket of used chain for real cheap I might try again.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As with any other used purchase: ‘caveat emptor’ (let the buyer beware)!

I started this thread to share some perspectives that some people have on ‘single use’ chains, which I assume would be novel to most guys on this forum. Buying used chains is somewhat of a separate, but related topic. There is always some risk involved, but not as much as buying a used saw.

A good chain grinder is a handy asset for reconditioning any chains. And, like firewood, finding a ‘honey hole’ of a source for used chains with limited wear is a special deal.

Philbert

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine should be in this week. I’ll add pictures. Ad said once used. I expect a pretty well banged up lot of chain.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpg All stihl and Oregon. Some skip some regular. All square ground. I’m pretty happy. Guess I’ll have to convert it to round as I don’t mess with square. I might hang this up on a nail for now.

It’s been sharpened a few times for sure. For the price there’s a lot of chain there. I’ll inspect it all when I have more time.

sundance

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's been a handful of years so I don't recall details but I bought 6 72dl 3/8 x .050 chains as never sharpened. Don't recall what I paid but it was a hell of a deal and chains were as claimed. Wish I could recall some details as I'd try another batch from that seller.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's been a handful of years so I don't recall details but I bought 6 72dl 3/8 x .050 chains as never sharpened. Don't recall what I paid but it was a hell of a deal and chains were as claimed. Wish I could recall some details as I'd try another batch from that seller.
Right. 'Used Once, Never Sharpened' is not necessarily the same as 'Used'!

Both can be good deals for the right user, and the right price.

Philbert