Chains: Used Once, Never Sharpened?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
7:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Many participants in these forums know the interest that I have in 'saving' / salvaging used saw chains. So, you can imagine the type of chest pains I feel, even typing this, but thought it might make for interesting discussion.

Most of us routinely discard 'single use' blades, for: razors, utility knives, Xacto knives, hacksaws, reciprocating saws, etc. Some of these 'could' be sharpened; others might be more trouble than they are worth. So, would it make sense (TRIGGER WARNING !!!) to use a saw chain until it is dull, and simply replace it, instead of sharpening it?

This idea first struck me as incredibly wasteful. However, following my mantra of, "Lots of ways to sharpen; everyone has to find something that works for them", I now have to recognize that this works for some people. And not just those with more money than common sense.

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Case #1

I passed a roadside, chainsaw carver shop and stopped to chat. The guy said that he liked to carve, but did not like to sharpen chains; that he was not good at it; and that he never found anyone in his area capable of making sharpened chains cut as good as factory new.

So, he bought chains in bulk, and resold them as 'Used Once, Never Sharpened' on Craig's List type forums after use. (*I will make up some numbers here to share what he described*).

He would buy $20 chains for $17 each, via a 15% quantity discount; use them until dull; then sell them for $12 each in groups of 6, or so. His net cost was $5 per chain ($17 - $12 = $5), which was less than the $7 a local hardware store charged to sharpen. He 'wins'; the guys buying $20 chains for $12 'win'; everyone is happy, right?

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Case #2

I needed some .325, Narrow Kerf chains for a saw, and was feeling 'frugal', so I looked on eBay. Found a guy offering 'Used Once, Never Sharpened' Carlton brand chains, for a net price of around $6 - $8, including shipping (these were about $18, new, locally). Bought some. Satisfied with what I got. Seller contacts me later, asking if I could use more!

Said he ran a tree service and that he did not want to 'pay his guys to spend time sharpening chains'. He made a business case that he paid his guys $X per hour, but that came out to $Y with overhead, and he wanted them bringing in $Z per hour of billable time to make a profit.

Again, he was buying chains in quantity, building the cost into his project quotes, and hoping to maybe recoup some $ on eBay. At the time, Narrow Kerf chains were less popular than today, so the price was pretty low. 'Win-win'?

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Case #3

A local saw shop would occasionally have 20+ boxes of STIHL chains on the counter, marked 'Used Once, Sharpened Once'.

Said that they had a long time customer that only wanted to use factory new chains. So they worked out an arrangement where they sold him new chains and gave him some type of credit on his 'old' ones. Other customers could buy these shop sharpened chains at about 3/4 of the new price. 'Win-win'?

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Case #4

Regular eBay seller advertised, 'Used Once, Never Sharpened' STIHL chains at very attractive prices (*especially, if you have a spinner / breaker set and can resize his loops to fit your saws*).

Ad stated that he is a STIHL dealer and runs a rental business, where he put a new chain on each saw rental to avoid arguments with customers, who would put the chain into the dirt in the first few seconds of a rental, then complain that he gave them a dull chain. Builds the cost of the chain into the rental, and hopes to recoup some $ selling them used.

Since then, I have heard from other guys who scored used chains free, or cheap, from local rental yards, who often scrap them. Something to check out?

Philbert

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I received chains that were both ran once and still sharp, and chains that got ran a lot sharpened and came to me dull.

If the chain has more that 1/3rd life left after sharpening it is worth it to me for the cost of shipping or more.
Talking brand chain, and shipping from the US to Croatia is expensive!

I file all my chains.

Big thank You to everyone who sent me chains over the years!
Extra special credit to Sondre @SOS Ridgerider !

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A couple of things keep coming back to me:

- not every saw user is going to be great at sharpening;

- if this works for them, then so be it;

- it is helpful to have some sharpening skills, along with the ability to repair minor defects, and maybe to resize loops, to take advantage of these opportunities;

- these might be guys that you want to know!

Philbert

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
8:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cas#2 is the only advantageous one I can see if you aren't sharpening your chain. What I mean is the other cases are a good situation out of bad for the people who are involved but if they could sharpen their chains they would all be way ahead.
Especially if they are using their saws for specific purposes (carving) . Imagine only using a new box chain not knowing how much better it could be for the task at hand?
I've taken advantage of deals of one use never sharpened chain.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
12:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I too have brought used chains off eBay, then resized them & sharpened them. It gives you the chance to practice breaking & spinning chains as well as sharpening with a file or a grinder.
You get repetitive practice in doing this & also chance to try some a little differently.

Yes it takes time to do this & it works most of the time… until you get an odd rogue chain in them.

recently, I’ve taken to buying part used rolls of chain. This can also work in your favour, well that’s until you get a bit confused with lopro and std 3/8 and or the wrong gauge. Like I did :( So now I’ve got to buy a bar for this chain :rolleyes:

prices will go up over time so having spare chain rolls will pay off later.. it’s just how much I need to have sitting around..

Last edited:

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
9:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Consumerism much? lol

I sharpen/keep using my chains until cutters start snapping off(then I'll use it as a stump chain).

I couldn't fathom throwing away a chain after it first goes dull...a really damaged chain that has kissed a good rock only take 20 min to do just 5 if it's a light touch up

Man up n learn to file...

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
until you get an odd rogue chain in them.

recently, I’ve taken to buying part used rolls of chain. This can also work in your favour, well that’s until you get a bit confused with lopro and std 3/8 and or the wrong gauge. Like I did

Working on used chains is how I learned so much about them, including the variety of types, sizes, styles, and wear!

Philbert

Northerner

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I have enough good used chains to last me a few lifetimes already. I get a lot in used parts saws lots that I drag home. Others from customers that buy new bars and chains from me and just leave them behind.
A lot a folks in my neighborhood never bother to file a chain.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought I,d add to this thread.
I just missed out on a bid for 4 chains 3/8 lopro the other day. Same thing use till it don’t cut etc…
Then yesterday this eBay listing says got 10 chains 3/8 lopro 50 dl. Discounts if you buy more than 1 and will include in the postage.

I ask for pics of them all. Which I get and the listing is updated.. so I buy the lot ;).
Not all of them are good, 2 are vanguard type (approx 50% used) but the cost of chains are going up. I got them for $40 which is a good price here. And if I’d been picky as to which chains I wanted i't would hav3 got messy.

So a short mornings grinding will get them back to sharp and I get the practice :D
This is the listing pic. I will try and get a better pic when I get them and a sharpened pic;)
DDA2E2B9-6E57-45F8-BAD9-96EC49462B21.jpeg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The cost of new chains is not so high that most people can’t afford them, especially, if they use them for work.

And, reconditioning old chains only makes sense if you like doing that kind of thing, and you can do it reasonably well.

I have collected all kinds of used chains over the years, but that is not necessarily a reliable source. The point of this thread was twofold:

1. Just to raise the idea that using a chain once, until dull, can make sense for some people.

2. To let others know about a potential resource, if they find someone running chains compatible with their saws.

if it’s not something that you like to do, then stick with new chain and take care of it until ‘used up’. But opportunities may arise, and it can be a good learning experience.

Philbert

~WBF

Thecallofthewildanswered1989-2017[PAID IN FULL!]
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Whatever works for a guy.
Knew a shop that had a bundle cutting contract and ran full comp on a 72" bar
At first he would make small loops and sell them and probably as new. I would sharpen it when I cut for him and they started to as well. It wasn't too bad once you filed it the first time.

The tree service one is surprising.
There is usually work on trucks and all in order for them to get the hours on a short day job. Sounds like some guys were abusing it and pissed him off.