High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

chain guide for newbies...

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
That's true, Ryan. I just shot that photo of the one cutter I had sharpened, to ask how it looked. It wasn't until I was sharpening the rest that I noticed how uneven they were...

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's true, Ryan. I just shot that photo of the one cutter I had sharpened, to ask how it looked. It wasn't until I was sharpening the rest that I noticed how uneven they were...

I think I found a good candidate 72 Vanguard chain that will work for the vid and test. The other ones I have are in good shape.

For whatever reason all 60 drive links had a ridge on the bottom portion of the driver heel that wouldn't let it fit in the bar groove so I filed it off (both sides, PITA).

I will sharpen it and make a quick vid of setting depth gauges. There are quite a few different length cutters with a bias to one side. The chain came off an old and well worn Homelite hard tip bar.

Now to find a saw the K095 bar will fit. I think it will fit on my Poulan 336 (54cc). I hoping to get it done by Friday as it's supposed to rain / snow Friday evening through Saturday evening.
A few busy days coming up.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great! Looking forward to it...

I hope this is what you are looking for. My video skills are pretty shabby.

The depth gauges filing gauges I have.
Oregon gauge on the left which I rarely use. Good if all the cutters are the same length.

The middle two are Husky gauges. I prefer the flat one on the left. The combination file and depth gauge (blue) next to it works well and has decent hard steel but I find it a bit of a pain to hold.

The one on the for right is one I made for .404 chain. I made it from a putty knife blade.

You can see I flame hardened two of them to make them more durable.

Raker depth gauges.JPG

The chain could be worse as far as different length cutters go. Here's a few pics typical of the chain.

Van cutters1.JPG Van cutters2.JPG Van cutters3.JPG

A quick vid on how the use the progressive gauges. The three look different but are all used the same way.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great pics and video! Thanks, Tim....

The chain cut straight! The chain actually cut very well. I did a vid of the XL-76 using DPX and I can't see any discernable difference.

I am certainly not that great at judging cut times though.

Here's a couple of pics of the cookies with a straight edge across the cut direction.

Vanguard cookie 2.JPG

Vanguard cookie.JPG

I would say that's about as straight as my cutting ability will allow. The fat / thin cookie is so I could square the end of the log off.

A vid of the cut. Homelite XL-76. Cuts well for a 1970's saw.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The chain cut straight! The chain actually cut very well. I did a vid of the XL-76 using DPX and I can't see any discernable difference.

I am certainly not that great at judging cut times though.

Here's a couple of pics of the cookies with a straight edge across the cut direction.

View attachment 220216

View attachment 220217

I would say that's about as straight as my cutting ability will allow. The fat / thin cookie is so I could square the end of the log off.

A vid of the cut. Homelite XL-76. Cuts well for a 1970's saw.

Excellent experiment and observations

Deererainman

Firewood Hack
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's sexy!

If I'm lucky the chain off this brush bar might work
f91a97223f18d751c46b1a44b6daa792.jpg