chain guide for newbies...

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
3:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, so would one of those plastic guides Philbert posted above tell me the pitch of both chain and bar? Like the Oregon one above....would it work to check any bar or chain? Or do I have to get the different brands?
Yes. It measures chain pitch and gauge. It will also measure the gauge of the bar. It won't help on pitch of chain sprocket or bar nose pitch but that info is usually stamped on bar. The chain sprocket usually stamped as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This chain seemed to fit ok but then at the end of the bar the drive links don't fit the sprocket properly....Is this just because the various companies want you to exclusively buy their brand of components rather than interchanging?

jCllaDI.jpg

If the pitch and gauge are correct it doesn't make any difference whose chain or bar you have

Oregon chain fits Stihl bars, vice versa, etc AS LONG AS it's all matched as to pitch and gauge

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just went and snapped this

Yours will look different but this is the info you are looking for stamped down near the mounting slot

It could be filled in with paint, pitch, mung, stuffs

Pitch (3/8"), drive link count (72) and gauge (.050)

Other than the cutter type you choose that is all the info you need to match a chain to that bar

upload_2020-1-15_18-38-40.png

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
2:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
'Pitch', 'gauge', and 'drive link count' have to match / be compatible among the 'drive sprocket', 'chain, and 'guide bar (including the nose sprocket)'.

AND 3/8 low profile (a.k.a. 'Picco', 'Mini', etc. ) is a different pitch than 3/8 standard chain. Not compatible.

Looks like a pitch mismatch at the bar nose sprocket, even if the gauge and DL count match.

Philbert

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Lights are starting to come on in this dark house....thanks for taking the time to school me....

Appreciate the bar pic 3browns...I'm going to look for those ID #'s on my bars (after I scrape away all the grime)....

Last edited:

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lights are starting to come on in this dark house....thanks for taking the time to school me....

Appreciate the bar pic 3browns...I'm going to look for those ID #'s on my bars (after I scrape away all the grime)....
You probably use your saws more than 3 Browns from looks of his bar:)

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
2:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I picked this up at a yard sale for a buck or two....couldn't resist....is it something worth using? It looks like it's just for the teeth but does nothing about the rakers....

That's a nice one!

They can be a bit confusing to set up at first (the directions stink). But if you take the time to learn how to use it, you will end up with incredibly sharp cutters, and incredibly consistent loops of chain.

Yes, you can do depth gauges with these.

I need to refer you to a post on a different site:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/granberg-file-n-joint-revisited.193630/

Philbert

Last edited:

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You probably use your saws more than 3 Browns from looks of his bar:)

LOL

Brandy new saw last November

20" factory bar cut one project with the stock Vanguard chain and then came off and got hung up

upload_2020-1-16_6-54-38.png

Then I went back to Alaska for the holidays

An 18" Tsumura bar and new 72LGX and Archer chains were shipped over from Alaska and got put on

The Vanguard chain actually went out in the mail yesterday to someone who actually likes them

upload_2020-1-16_6-52-6.png

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Philbert. Good to know these things have a use. Will give it a go...

3browns...sweet bar....seems to be a lotta hate for those vanguard chains....

These are the raker depth gauges I have....I have only used the top one. From what I read online the middle one is called a progressive style. I'm assuming the bottom one is too. Do people prefer one of these styles over the others?

2bSpkZ0.jpg

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the link, Philbert. Good to know these things have a use. Will give it a go...

These are the raker depth gauges I have....I have only used the top one. From what I read online the middle one is called a progressive style. I'm assuming the bottom one is too. Do people prefer one of these styles over the others?

2bSpkZ0.jpg

I personally don't hate Vanguard chains and just like yours they can be made to cut every bit as good as any other chain

I gave it away because I have no use for it over here since I elected to go with an 18" bar and I have enough 20" chains at home for my big saw that giving one away wasn't an issue

Nice collection of gauges

I use the same style as the top one as well as the middle Hooski one

I think both have their place but either will get the job done

Again it is down to practice and consistency and what you develop a preference for

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

2bSpkZ0.jpg
I prefer the middle one at home for rakers. I keep an assortment of the bottom one in my box.
The roller guides are great for fixing chains that someone thought they had to "get the gullet" back even with where the file should stop at when filing the tooth. Gullet maintenance should not remove the ledge the file rides on if you hand file without a jig/guide, if you use a jig/guide or grind your chains then clean it out as far as long as it doesn't get into the portion of the sideplate that does the cutting, but if you need to file without any of those tools you won't have a ledge to rest your file on.

Vanguard chains can be made to cut, but they are fussy on the angles. The biggest issue many have with them is they have issues filing the rakers for various reasons.

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hear ya, 3browns...I don't even know what a vanguard chain is, so...

Chipper1, good to know how that roller type is handy....and thanks for the thoughts on the gullets....

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is vanguard chain :rolleyes:.
Hear ya, 3browns...I don't even know what a vanguard chain is, so...

Chipper1, good to know how that roller type is handy....and thanks for the thoughts on the gullets....
Welcome.
The bummer about the roller guide is that the raker portion wears out pretty quick, that larger one that was in the middle in your pictures wears much better.