Joe Kidd

I reckon so
GoldMember
Local time
7:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a the Stihl FG 2 also. For the file sharpener it is a nice option. I never cared for the fact you have to remove the file and flip sides when going to the opposite tooth. It should just swivel 180. I would say if I had to make a near perfect sharpened chain that is the tool id use.
I still say if you are a firewood cutter and know the importance of a sharp chain you cant go wrong with the bar mounted Granberg. It will pay for itself quickly. That is if you cant free hand file. I never got any good at it and with all these tools I probably never will.
I'd love to have another FG2. Rare these days.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
6:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd love to have another FG2. Rare these days.
They show up on eBay now and then. Sell used for close to the new price.

I hear that they may still be available new in Europe, if you know someone traveling there (they won't ship).

Philbert

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Last time I looked at FG2's from Germany they were as much or more than a decent grinder. If I remember correctly it was gonna be about $250 by the time it made it here.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I remember correctly I paid 75.00 for mine. Used once with some files. Guy couldnt figure it out he said. I got it and his chains to sharpen since.
I rarely use the FG2. NO its not for sale....

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just throwing this one out there, my (biased) vote would be the stihl USG, beautiful bit of kit to use and should last a lifetime

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
6:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Tecomec and a Knock it Off grinders. The Tecomec is the better machine. One thing you can't tell just by looking at them is the new Tecomec/Oregon units have a self centering chain vice, making your life that much easier. The biggest gripe I have about my knock it off grinder is every adjustment screw is either too tight or way too loose threaded. It will sharpen a chain, no doubt, just not as user friendly. If I had to start over again I would purchase another Tecomec/Oregon, as there is parts support, clear instructions manual, ease of use, better wheels and so on.
No matter which way you go don't worry how your first chains come out, they will get better as you learn along the way.

EDIT: Almost forgot, another thing I really like about my Tecomec is the forward and reverse rotation. My clone is one direction. Not sure what new ones feature now days as the Tecomec is getting a bit old now.

Last edited:

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what I've figured out is this. Every tool requires time to learn how to use it to the best of It's abilities. The better tools are usually (but not always*) more expensive and usually also have a higher upside in capabilities, if you take the time to master them. So while you do get what you pay for, remember some of that payment will be in the form of time and effort.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Decided to go with the Grandberg bar mounted jig for now. Very rarely do I rock a chain and if I do I can get it ground in town for $5.00 . I have to say I like the results I'm seeing with the Grandberg so far, have to wait till tomorrow to see if it cuts as sharp as it looks to me.

IMG_1182.JPG

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Decided to go with the Grandberg bar mounted jig for now. Very rarely do I rock a chain and if I do I can get it ground in town for $5.00 . I have to say I like the results I'm seeing with the Grandberg so far, have to wait till tomorrow to see if it cuts as sharp as it looks to me.

View attachment 36536
What are your settings on the grandberg if you don't mind sharing.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What are your settings on the grandberg if you don't mind sharing.
Nothing special, tried and true angles that are always recommended. It's Stihl full chisel chain, I'm using an Oregon 7/32 file. No tilt on the Grandberg, angle set at 30 degrees. File depth set 80% below cutter (0.175").

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing special, tried and true angles that are always recommended. It's Stihl full chisel chain, I'm using an Oregon 7/32 file. No tilt on the Grandberg, angle set at 30 degrees. File depth set 80% below cutter (0.175").
Thanks, that's a nice looking grind.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks, I have used about every guide and jig out there. This one works for me, I like it a lot. I think the key to the Grandberg is taking the time to do the math and set it up right. Once it's set up its just repetition. I can also see how this jig is going to help with muscle memory and feeling the file work should I choose to try hand filing again.