Chain Build off RD #3 on CRS

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
5:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Work chain can't have any chassis work or thinning done. Other than that I don't remember without going over there and copying the rules. Race chains are unlimited on mods.

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Copied earlier in the thread:

Chain Build off RD #3 on CRS

Here is copy/paste from other thread to maintain continuity here in this thread.

<font color="#b30000">Things that will separate race from work chain IMO.

Race-

Thinned cutters
Stoned cutters
Thinned or reshaped small rakers
Tunneling under cutter
Cut off back of cutters heels etc or angled back of cutter
Grinding or polishing work on rivets
Dog boning
Work on top of inner drive link area ( dont know if most of you do or know about this )
Beveled edges

If sure there is more but my mind is tired right now. If you can add to list please do.

Just want the work chain to be work chain for the guys doing work.

<font color="#000000">If anything is missing, feel free to add on.
http://opeforum.com/index.php?posts/41035/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We settled for a 357XP with 8T rim and 325 050 66DL chain

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
All my chains are about done, being I added a 4th chain in LG33 to round file too. Just want to see how it does going from the 5/32 cutter to 3/16 like the other 325chains. I had to stop on it today so not finished.

Did do and finish the 20LPX today and what a pita just round filing. Had to file it twice round to do what I was wanting to try round filed. Should have squared filed it as it would have been easier.

All my chains are new out of box chains with just the front of cutters refiled again. Just like last round. Cutters not back where they start cutting the best near rear rivet and like race chains are made from.

Square filed 33LG is something new I wanted to try and bet my round filed one will prob out cut it. It isnt right at all, but wanted something different from the norm.

Square files RS is going to be a turd. Looked at it today again. It is just fubarred and way way off.

Just hoping to beat stock chains at this point and highly doubt it.

dbittle

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I didn't file it for the competition, but I have been playing with some square filed Oregon BPX (semi-square)? I ran it today in white oak and pine and really liked it. I was think that the small radius semi-chisel would be more forgiving to square file than chisel chain and maybe it is. It was very fast and very smooth cutting. I don't have a camera capable of taking pictures of the cutters, but I plan to keep using it. I had a square filed Carlton chisel chain with the same angles, and it wasn't as nice to cut with.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I didn't file it for the competition, but I have been playing with some square filed Oregon BPX (semi-square)? I ran it today in white oak and pine and really liked it. I was think that the small radius semi-chisel would be more forgiving to square file than chisel chain and maybe it is. It was very fast and very smooth cutting. I don't have a camera capable of taking pictures of the cutters, but I plan to keep using it. I had a square filed Carlton chisel chain with the same angles, and it wasn't as nice to cut with.

Doesn't say it is semi chisel chain? https://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/chain/20_21_22BPMicroChisel.htm copy and paste info = 20-series chain is now a low-kickback chain that meets the ANSI low-kickback standard without compromising performance or cutting speeds. It is the high performance choice for occasional users, arborists and commercial cutters. H,J & L-series Micro Chisel

Micro-Chisel cutters have small-radius working corners, "X" grind - Enhanced grind geometry

Is your loops 050 66DL? If so send it it and will run it to see how it compares to those on the CBO.

21bp_dv.jpg

dbittle

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Doesn't say it is semi chisel chain? https://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/chain/20_21_22BPMicroChisel.htm copy and paste info = 20-series chain is now a low-kickback chain that meets the ANSI low-kickback standard without compromising performance or cutting speeds. It is the high performance choice for occasional users, arborists and commercial cutters. H,J & L-series Micro Chisel

Micro-Chisel cutters have small-radius working corners, "X" grind - Enhanced grind geometry

Is your loops 050 66DL? If so send it it and will run it to see how it compares to those on the CBO.

21bp_dv.jpg
Sad to say, it's 18", 72 drive links, .058. I do think I will keep filing some of my chains this way. There was some guesswork about exactly where to put the corner of the file because of the corner radius, but I tried to aim for the center of it. It is filed to the same angles as the loop of LPX I sent.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So when does the festivities begin?

Sometimes I forget to do double posting for here.

All in main thread as to whats going on.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Finally got the ole garage all cut up and burned last night. Took me a little longer then expected.

Just went out and got the chains all laid out and running order set. Now to get time for some chain testing.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Re-post for here.

Beautiful day for testing.
grin.gif
cool.gif

Just stepped in to grab some waters.

The 4 stock chains are done.

The stock carlton cut just like it did the other day on the 357. Rough and felt slow.
LG33 was next and couldnt believe how smooth and fast it felt compared to above even with smaller cutter.
RS was rougher then the LG but felt fast. Not as smooth as the LPX or LG in cuts.
LPX was smooth and felt fast.

Video and times will tell the tell. But what I got from this. I wont buy any more carlton 325 chains.

Sierrawoodsman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
"Hey, don't go Dulling my chain with your fingers now." In all seriousness take your time you got a whole lot of "sharp" sitting there looking at you. I know I've ripped myself up in a few times that's for sure.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
All uploaded and posted in the main CBO thread.

Just have to wait on the timers to time them now.
Should have a race, work and overall winner for the t-shirt HL Supply put up to fastest overall.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stock
k1L 3.52
LG33 3.13
RS 2.29
LPX 2.38