Case splitting using heat

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
6:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like to seat the bearings in the case first, but if that works for ya then carry on. :beer-toast1:
I've done it both ways. You can get the bearings on the crank with minimal side pressure warming them up and then if you need a little help use a deep well socket on the inner race. Just depends on what kind of mood I'm in. Case always gets baked in the oven.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If your gonna try the celophane , make sure you place it just beyond the groove yet not where the seal will remain over it. It will be tough to peel off when under the seal. Make sure you remove the celo and give the crank a cleaning. Also "warm" seals will slide on easier. Sometimes we are working in sheds/ garages that are cold. Everything gets cold in them. The correct Stihl seal instal "sockets" are cheap and worth the price of a few farked up seals...

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let them go on as far as they can.
Once all together and cooled down I get the crank a good hard smack from both sides and she's all good. Done them all like that besides the last couple which was the bearings in housings first method. Found it a bit easier this way.

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
6:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
If your gonna try the celophane , make sure you place it just beyond the groove yet not where the seal will remain over it. It will be tough to peel off when under the seal. Make sure you remove the celo and give the crank a cleaning. Also "warm" seals will slide on easier. Sometimes we are working in sheds/ garages that are cold. Everything gets cold in them. The correct Stihl seal instal "sockets" are cheap and worth the price of a few farked up seals...
I haven't used or seen the seal instal sockets in action how does it hold the seal open to slide over the groove

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good question as on the 661 Stihl recommend leaving the oil pump in as a stop for the bearing on the clutch side
On a 385 you have to do that as well or put it on the crank first. With the integral seal I think some are better to put on the crank first and then slide that side of the case on. With it nice and warm it will slide on by hand anyway.

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
On a 385 you have to do that as well or put it on the crank first. With the integral seal I think some are better to put on the crank first and then slide that side of the case on. With it nice and warm it will slide on by hand anyway.
Point taken Do you think the seal sockets are worth the money asked or do you feel the conventional ways are ok

Stihl working Hard

Is it Friday yet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've only got one for the 1128 series. It works good but I've not had a problem putting them in with a socket either.
I have always used a tube socket the only issue I come across with and am very particular about getting the seal over the groove but it's always a pai in the a@@

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the plastic tubes that end mills,carbide cutters etc come in for the seals .No problem finding them because I work in an automotive factory .

The way they install engine seals in a factory is with a tapered expander made of metal,then a robot installs the seal .Same way they did it when it was installed my hand .You could probably make one if you were handy on a lathe .Might not be a bad idea if you did 100 saws a year which I doubt too many do .

On the 020/200t ,that by far in my opinion is the most user friendly saw Stihl ever made to work on .Slip fit bearings etc .I can have one down to the bones in less than 20 minutes .

bmwpowere36m3

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I haven't done seals on a chainsaw, but for motorcycles forks they have plastic "bullets" or cones that fit over the end of the tube to keep the seals lip from being cut on the sharp edge.

11ForkBulletOn.JPG

I used a ziplock bag, saran wrap or electrical tape on the end with a bit of suspension fluid. If I was doing them often, I'd invest in that tool.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
12:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use a heat gun for splitting and a toaster oven for assembly. I use to freeze the crank but don't anymore.
I like to put the bearing in the case so it heat soaks.
its the way I split and put together my cranks also.
The only time I freeze the crank and mount PTO bearing on the crank is on 242/346/550. I use crank mounting tool if it's a saw with stuffer, I dont like to much heat on them.
All other Husky models is put together with the oven principe