beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
6:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure I have some roached clutch covers you could practice on.

TreeWorks

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well I've only got my Miller trailblazer 280 ...... lil over kill but it dose about everything. I have a hi freq unit for it so It run ac tig with foot controller and all that fancyness. The local welding shop has mag filler rod. I'm waiting to hear back exactly what rod it is untill then they gave me one to play with. I did some looking it seems like eraz92 is popular for castings

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure the clutch covers are alum, not mag

Almost all of the ones I've seen or welded have been mag.

AZ92A is the filler you want. Harris puts the ER in the front of the name. There is generic rod for cheaper out there.

TreeWorks

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Almost all of the ones I've seen or welded have been mag.

AZ92A is the filler you want. Harris puts the ER in the front of the name. There is generic rod for cheaper out there.
Thank you. Az92a is what I kept comming back to. I need to do a little more looking locally but I think I'm looking at 80$ a pound. I sent a few pm's late last night and found out almost instantly your The guy to talk to about repairing mag cases. Even got a look at a cylinder head repair ( aluminum ) have to say very nice work After I get everything in front of me ill prolly try to pick your brain just a little

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you. Az92a is what I kept comming back to. I need to do a little more looking locally but I think I'm looking at 80$ a pound. I sent a few pm's late last night and found out almost instantly your The guy to talk to about repairing mag cases. Even got a look at a cylinder head repair ( aluminum ) have to say very nice work After I get everything in front of me ill prolly try to pick your brain just a little

I'm not sure if Shaun repaired that head or not, but that is the caliber of his work.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not sure if Shaun repaired that head or not, but that is the caliber of his work.

View attachment 31833

View attachment 31834

View attachment 31835

That's not my work, but that is how I learned to weld. I worked in a machine shop starting at age 17 till for around 5 years. There I welded a lot of cracked and damaged cylinder heads, no fancy CNC machine to redo the combustion chamber, all the refinishing was done by hand. Did a lot of bowl port jobs on SBC's and lots of valve and seat work on all sorts of vehicles. Cylinder head work was the bread and butter of the shop.

TreeWorks

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's not my work, but that is how I learned to weld. I worked in a machine shop starting at age 17 till for around 5 years.

4 years in a fab shop basically booth welding some larger stuff the booth couldn't contain but all repetitive. 70% stainless little bit of carbon steel and aluminum. Mig and tig everything. After hours I did the portable welding thing untill 10-12pm in small shops around the area. loved the variety but that many hours a day I got burnt out. Haven't welded much in 5 years or so maybe 2-3 little projects or repairs a year ...... I've recently started enjoying it again.

Last edited:

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I worked as a draftsman/project manager at an AISC Certified fabricator for 13.5yrs.
I would get bored sometimes and head out to the shop or service center.
I taught myself how to MIG & TIG, but never picked up a stick.
I can TIG carbon & stainless pretty good. Never got the hang of non-ferrous metals, but then I never really tried more than once.

TreeWorks

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Stainless with a back purge or aluminum tig was my fav. Had an old timer would strip some romex and run a copper bead on a piece of steel angle and dress it to a sharp corner. Used them for backer plates in corners. I tried that one time couldn't figure it out and he wasent telling ( lot of arrogant welders in that shop ). He used to Bogart a bottle of straight helium in his area I suspect it had somethig to do with that. I really miss the old Syncrowave i had there. [emoji20] Oh yeah and throwing hammers that was great fun. ...... the pay was *s-word