Captive bar nut mod ms461

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone been able to convert the standard bar nut type clutch cover (specifically that of a 461) to captive bar nuts? If so would you mind sharing how?
Would greatly appreciate any input! I think captive bar nuts are one of the best improvements made to saws since the automatic oiler!

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
8:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe" west coast saws" makes a clutch cover with captive bar nuts for that saw?

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thinking about getting another 044 cover myself and doing this with it. If it works out can probably sell it then do my original.

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thinking about getting another 044 cover myself and doing this with it. If it works out can probably sell it then do my original.
Interesting in the video he mentions two different length sleeves on the nuts. I was looking at my 400 cover (with captive nuts) noticed the section under the nuts is quite a bit thicker than that of the 461 cover. So I’m wondering if there is a captive nut with sleeve short enough to work with the 461 cover… 🤔

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting in the video he mentions two different length sleeves on the nuts. I was looking at my 400 cover (with captive nuts) noticed the section under the nuts is quite a bit thicker than that of the 461 cover. So I’m wondering if there is a captive nut with sleeve short enough to work with the 461 cover… 🤔
Maybe the long one could be trimmed.

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sellers on feebay describe what they have fitting both 261 and 400, but there are slightly different part numbers.
Yeah I’m gonna call my dealer and see what part numbers they list for the 261, 362, 400, 462, 500i etc

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What I can’t figure out is this… Has nobody else tried this? Or has it been tried and it not worked so they just never shared the findings…

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What I can’t figure out is this… Has nobody else tried this? Or has it been tried and it not worked so they just never shared the findings…
Haven't done it or didn't share it is my guess. May not be worth the trouble with most folks or leaving it stock is more important. Looks simple enough, especially if you have a Stihl with them factory to copy the hole dimension and your cover has enough meat on it.

You go first.

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ordered some captive bar nuts yesterday from the dealer. I’ll update when I get them and start putting it together. (If it’s possible that is). If it’s not possible I’ll explain why.
Were there different ones to choose from?

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Were there different ones to choose from?
I can tell the ones for the 400c and 462 are too long for the 461 cover thickness. Looks like the 261 nuts are quite a bit shorter. So fingers crossed they’ll be the right length. Then there’s the possibility they may not be compatible with the 461 studs. Just a lot of unknowns here. Doesn’t help dealers keep nothing in stock around here so you can’t actually go in and check and compare pieces.

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welllllllllll… so I picked up the captive nuts today and indeed the collar is too long for the thickness of the cover. Even when crimped they’ll contact the bar before the clutch cover gets tight. That and the 461 studs have a taper that extend beyond the thickness of the bar so the studs would have to be swapped for like 462 studs IF the collars on the nuts were short enough. So this project has officially been thwarted for now. I’ve included pictures so you can see for yourselves.

Attachments

• IMG_3007.jpeg
    IMG_3007.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3008.jpeg
    IMG_3008.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3009.jpeg
    IMG_3009.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 8

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You know…. If a feller could trim those collars off. Then cut a groove around the shorter collar for some sort of clip (like for a piston wrist pin). It could be done. Just a lot of sugar for a nickel though..

Sloughfoot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welllllllllll… so I picked up the captive nuts today and indeed the collar is too long for the thickness of the cover. Even when crimped they’ll contact the bar before the clutch cover gets tight. That and the 461 studs have a taper that extend beyond the thickness of the bar so the studs would have to be swapped for like 462 studs IF the collars on the nuts were short enough. So this project has officially been thwarted for now. I’ve included pictures so you can see for yourselves.
How thick is your cover? Reason I ask, if you don't come up with a solution and they can be removed and reinstalled and will work on my 044 I'll buy them from you.

I assume you're like me and despise adding to the pile of bad decisions.

Catfishclark89

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How thick is your cover? Reason I ask, if you don't come up with a solution and they can be removed and reinstalled and will work on my 044 I'll buy them from you.

I assume you're like me and despise adding to the pile of bad decisions.
The cover is 5/16” where the studs go through. I actually bought three of the nuts and only used one (I had a busted cover I tested with first). The other two haven’t been messed with. And yes there is no more room in my pile of bad decisions. So yeah you can have em