HUSQVARNA Buying used saws

D. Akins

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have an opportunity to buy a few saws next month. All are Husqvarna saws, a few 372’s , 266, and maybe a couple more in the 60cc range. These are logger saws that have been retired for one reason or the other.
1. What is a non running saw worth complete with good cases?
2. Is the 372xp x torq worth more or less than the OE?

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
4:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are buying to flip for a profit, it's tough to get into a saw for much more than ~$50. Saws used for production will need to have all of the bearings, seals, rubber parts, filters, piston and rings, and possibly even the cylinder replaced. Not only do these parts add cost, but replacement adds time. If it's a hobby for you than your time is free, but if you have other responsibilities you'll soon find that working for the hourly rate of a pre-COVID Chinese sweat shop isn't worth it.

D. Akins

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s for hobby. I was think along the same lines as you on price. If I got a couple that wasn’t total garbage, I could hopefully build, learn and sell for a small profit . I would consider that a win.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing to keep in mind is that guys here are always looking for pro saws to re-build. If you come across a mess of them you can usually re-sell one or two singularly for a fair price and bring your cost down. That's what I used to do until I started hoarding. I'll still cull occasionally though.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
266 top covers are NLA and getting harder to find to keep that in mind.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you end up selling a couple of the 372s, I'd be interested.

Gord

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I buy used wrecked saws of that type- models according to what I can get out of them, complete is worth more as long as the cases ain't beat to rat s#@t- I have a lot of parts for certain models that your talking about so it keeps my cost down to maybe P&C's bearings etc, more of a CAD hobby for me that got carried away so will pay according to what is there, usually 50 to 150, -266 great saws but don't expect a high return and some of their parts are getting hard to find such as P&C's.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My best deals came from two sources .Either one of the forums or a certain Stihl dealers "dead pile ".I could have done okay a few times on craigslist but declined because another member on this forum was interested .
Flea bay has just became ridiculous on both saws and often times parts .If I cabbaged on to every freebie I've been offered I'd soon have to pitch a tent to store them all .I've got no interest in trying to corner the market on chainsaws and what not .Now if an 090 Stihl or a Mc 101 kart engine came along on the cheap I'd have to jump on it .:)

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have two 266xp projects. I pretty much have one runner but the other is gonna need a lot of parts. Not sure yet if I will keep or sell them, need to get the one running the rest of the way and try it out.

So what I'm saying is I might be selling parts or buying parts...maybe we can make something work.

Gord

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The bottom end of the xtorq’s are weaker and tend to go more often. Rebuild and sell them and keep the OE’s.
Think the biggest problem with the 372 xt's is the nylon caged bearings, I replace them with SKF c3 steel caged bearings before putting the bottom end back together and if the top end is iffy I put down a quality xp setup with a little bit of attitude work done and a.m. plastics are cheap and tend to fit good, (Color match seems to slightly off) if xt top cover not fitting around the boot without leaving a bit of a gap bothers you. Xt cases are a little deeper below the cylinder skirt which works on that conversion but not the other way around.