3-series huskies

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
11:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I currently have two of each, but I'd consider that if it was a late model mk1. The 346 I'd be willing to let go of isn't my prettiest saw, but she does run well.

I like ugly saws. My 550 is a 2021MK2. Too pretty for me.

What’s this Mark1 is the better 550 business? Tim Stunk told me the same thing just last night. Two years ago everyone was gaga over the Mark2. It’s all 5series to me…

TheWizard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 362xp, lovely handling saw and nice to work with, also run a 550xpg that is very fast cutting and lighter than the 362 also slimmer, its a great saw for felling and clearing being easy to manoeuvre. Some dont like the 550 and wonder if its because its autotune, I must admit I didnt like the idea but now I used it a while it is a great little saw and would be ideal for fire wood. But out of all my saws the 266xp are my favourites and my 254 (non xp) is still working great as the day I bought it in 1987 (I on the other hand is not in as good a shape as that saw is)

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

What’s this Mark1 is the better 550 business? Tim Stunk told me the same thing just last night. Two years ago everyone was gaga over the Mark2. It’s all 5series to me…
I prefer the late model mk1, husky should have kept it as it was in 2016, the mk2 is a fat saw, might as well run a dolmar 5105, but at least the mk2 has the best flippy caps know to man lol.
Don't get me wrong, the mk2 is a nice saw(I've owned them), but unless it's ported I see no reason to have one as it's a bit heavy for limbing, and a bit low on power to run a 20(as I'd like it to). Ported, they'd make a nice 20" bucking saw for working wood before or after I was done with the 70s.
As far as pretty saws go, I like them pretty. I've found that the more you have the easier it is to keep them all nice looking 😉.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I prefer the late model mk1, husky should have kept it as it was in 2016, the mk2 is a fat saw, might as well run a dolmar 5105, but at least the mk2 has the best flippy caps know to man lol.
Don't get me wrong, the mk2 is a nice saw(I've owned them), but unless it's ported I see no reason to have one as it's a bit heavy for limbing, and a bit low on power to run a 20(as I'd like it to). Ported, they'd make a nice 20" bucking saw for working wood before or after I was done with the 70s.
As far as pretty saws go, I like them pretty. I've found that the more you have the easier it is to keep them all nice looking 😉.
Or just get a ported 346!!

chilipeppermaniac

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad no one mentioned 394's. Huskihl and XP_Slinger know why I say this.

For the rest of you, it is because the 394 is my first Husqvarna. I got one on Monday and look forward to getting it in tip top shape.

It has a few small bugs I am working through. Items that are on par with a saw this age like oddball fasteners and Husky's little things such as the kill switch. My main first objective is to verify that all the important systems such as ignition and fuel system are operating in spec, and seals and such are in good health. From pulling the muffler and looking inside, it looks clean on the P and C. The exhaust port could use cleaning and polishing to start and I should make sure I didn't introduce any foreign material into the top end. Overall the insides looked really good and a nice clean film of oil coated the piston and compression seems good.

As I told Huskihl and XP_Slinger, it takes me maybe 10+ pulls to get it to pop and a few more to start up. Once she starts, it seems to idle fine and run strong under throttle.

As for the OP, I am curious to see how your choice of saw turns out for you too.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
12:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
it takes me maybe 10+ pulls to get it to pop and a few more to start up. Once she starts, it seems to idle fine and run strong under throttle.
Sounds like it is in need of a carburetor refresh job. The little inlet flaps can warp over time and not want to seal any longer, allowing the fuel to run back to the tank via gravity.
Check the intake block very carefully for cracks, this is a hard part to find now days and can ruin your saw. Seals are no problem as other than the P&C and intake the saw is much the same as a 395xp for parts and can be converted to if in a bind.
Best of luck with your project.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like it is in need of a carburetor refresh job. The little inlet flaps can warp over time and not want to seal any longer, allowing the fuel to run back to the tank via gravity.
Check the intake block very carefully for cracks, this is a hard part to find now days and can ruin your saw. Seals are no problem as other than the P&C and intake the saw is much the same as a 395xp for parts and can be converted to if in a bind.
Best of luck with your project.
Which is why I choose a 395 over a 394. And it's one more so has to be better right?

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which is why I choose a 395 over a 394. And it's one more so has to be better right?
It should be a 2595, as it's basically a 2 series saw with quad ports, but it still has a front tensioner. What century are we living in here :rolleyes: .
There's a new one in the works, with largely the original cast.....!!
Hopefully they fixed the main issue with them.

chilipeppermaniac

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
double impressive, Mac and Keaton.

It is a virtual tie for me which of his movies I liked the best.

Nightshift,, Johnny Dangerously, Mr Mom, or Multiplicity. Those CLONES just cracked me up in Multiplicity.
Gotta give props to this one though, gotta love a movie with a chainsaw as essentially a character.

Woodwater

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Mark 2 is heavier, and harder to manoeuvre. i have used a Mark 2 one hour. than i was happy to have a Mark1. For me, the Mark 2 is a downgrade to the first version of the 550. IMHO