Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy, you know how much I want the “cow thing” to work for you. I hope the market bounces back so that your hard work pays dividends.

Good friend of mine has been doing the "cow thing" for over 50 years.

His advice.....

Build a nice herd over time. Think of it as a savings account. The market will go up and down. When it's down, buy a few nice heifers for breeding stock. Keep your best animals and build the herd. When prices go up sell the whole herd and start over.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been lucky on bulls. I've never bought a registered bull, or one from a breeder. On the Angus, I just picked out a few young bulls with nice frames from a group and let them grow till I decided which one to keep. Starting over with a different bull is sorta scary. I have a Angus bull and a polled Hereford. The Hereford I got in a trade deal. Both make nice calves that ain't gotta be pulled.

gyp69

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
That’s awesome I went to a community college in Wyoming, calved 150 first yr heifers for my girlfriends dad. He had bred his cows to these big red Saler bulls, (late 80’s) we pulled about 30% of those calves, he sold all those bulls and went back to angus. I departed as well soon after lol.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
6:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been lucky on bulls. I've never bought a registered bull, or one from a breeder. On the Angus, I just picked out a few young bulls with nice frames from a group and let them grow till I decided which one to keep. Starting over with a different bull is sorta scary. I have a Angus bull and a polled Hereford. The Hereford I got in a trade deal. Both make nice calves that ain't gotta be pulled.

Have you seen this Randy? It might be worth it if you’re not planning to get into the registered bulls? A friend of mine went to AI school and he’s going to start doing it so that’s the direction we’re all headed in the next couple years and we’ll have one clean up bill for every pasture.

https://hereford.org/static/files/1114_PerformanceMatters.pdf

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you seen this Randy? It might be worth it if you’re not planning to get into the registered bulls? A friend of mine went to AI school and he’s going to start doing it so that’s the direction we’re all headed in the next couple years and we’ll have one clean up bill for every pasture.

https://hereford.org/static/files/1114_PerformanceMatters.pdf

I've never considered it. But if and when I ever sell the herd I will be looking into it.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never considered it. But if and when I ever sell the herd I will be looking into it.

I seen it a while back and thought that’s not a bad idea if you’re not getting the papers with the bull.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s awesome I went to a community college in Wyoming, calved 150 first yr heifers for my girlfriends dad. He had bred his cows to these big red Saler bulls, (late 80’s) we pulled about 30% of those calves, he sold all those bulls and went back to angus. I departed as well soon after lol.
Nice to know I'm not the only one with bad Saler memories from the 80's. I've heard they've got better.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Friend of mine bought 100 lightweight heifers several years ago. Over the summer the market tanked. Rather than sell them for a loss, he bought a big ass bull to breed them. The next spring he had to pull about 70% of those calves, and lost a bunch of em.

He told me how good he got at pulling calfs, and how much he learned about bull selection.

gyp69

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Haha, those Salers were mean fence jumping SOB’s, had no respect for a guy horseback, & sired large birthweight calves. I became a regular cow gynecologist. My hats off to the current beef producers, nothing like a big grilled bone in ribeye! Sorry to you guys that wanted to talk saws this morning. This thread got (steered).