Big Night Tonight (NHL Playoffs)

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
12:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Paul's Panthers (their new name) will have to defeat 4 of the leagues top 5 teams through the regular season to win the cup. To think they only qualified for the playoffs on the last day when Chicago defeated Pittsburgh...

If you need a reason to cheer for this team skip to the 2:20 mark of Maurice's post game interview (the whole thing is good though).

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll be quite okay is Dallas manages to draw this out to 7 games.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of unexpected this year. I was surprised at some of the 1st round losses.

highland_hunter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the Panthers don't stay out of the box they are doomed. I see this going 5 game series with Vegas taking the win due to the undisciplined play of the Panthers.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just hate the VGK's so much. I really shouldn't as there are many Manitobans on the team and in the front office of the organizations that I should be cheering for them. I just hate that Winnipeg had to by a failing team and move it here, expansion was never an option for us to get a team back. Pretty sure we would have paid $500 for a contender right off the hop...

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just hate the VGK's so much. I really shouldn't as there are many Manitobans on the team and in the front office of the organizations that I should be cheering for them. I just hate that Winnipeg had to by a failing team and move it here, expansion was never an option for us to get a team back. Pretty sure we would have paid $500 for a contender right off the hop...
Not sure I understand what you mean. Didn't the Jets get moved down to Atlanta and then back to Winnipeg? The same team with the same owners?

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure I understand what you mean. Didn't the Jets get moved down to Atlanta and then back to Winnipeg? The same team with the same owners?
Jets 1.0 got moved to Pheonix and are now the debacle that is Arizona.

Atlanta were awarded an expansion team after losing their first team to Calgary when it failed to be successful in that market. A local WPG ownership (and a partner that is one of the 5 richest people in Canada) tried to get the NHL to give them an expansion team for years. NHL failed to give them what they wanted or any of the other fledging teams that were in good TV markets but poor hockey markets. Finally the second Atlanta team failed and Bettman finally agreed to allow True North to purchase them. $200 some million for a failing team.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jets 1.0 got moved to Pheonix and are now the debacle that is Arizona.

Atlanta were awarded an expansion team after losing their first team to Calgary when it failed to be successful in that market. A local WPG ownership (and a partner that is one of the 5 richest people in Canada) tried to get the NHL to give them an expansion team for years. NHL failed to give them what they wanted or any of the other fledging teams that were in good TV markets but poor hockey markets. Finally the second Atlanta team failed and Bettman finally agreed to allow True North to purchase them. $200 some million for a failing team.
Wow. That's a lot that I didn't know about. Thanks for the education.

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
2:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I watched a game in person of Atlanta late in the last season they played iirc 2011

exCanuck

FartKnockerForum System Admin
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A business group buying the Ottawa Senators paid nearly $1 billion for 90% of the team. Upside: no more Melnyks' misguidance (Anna and Olivia retain 10%). Downside: the team won't be renamed the Ottawa Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds isn't part of the buying group). Major partner, Andlauer, has to get rid of his 10% stake in the Mtl Canadiens. Let's see if the Sens can get further than the Presidents' Trophy (best performance 2002-03 season) soon.