High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Best budget Tachometer

retro

Void where inhibited
Local time
8:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
This one helps me estimate how long I've been lost in the woods that day as well.

http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/tto/surface-mount/tto-surface-tach-hour

trailtechtto-png.93463

Attachments

• trailtechtto.png
    trailtechtto.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 380
G

Greenerpastures

The edt 9 is in the thread with info and feedback. ;)

That price is way to high. Amicks has the stihl edt-9 for $69

Still wouldnt buy the 9 IMO https://www.amickssuperstore.com/Stihl_Tach_p/stihl tach.htm
I read that post, good information and links there.
It seems like to get a reasonable tachometer costs money.
The TT 20 I can't find in my area at all, import duty
and tax on it make it expensive for me. I guess I will have to wait,
and get it when the funds are in.

G

Greenerpastures

The tachs others posted while they are not as expensive,
cost almost as much to post as to buy, amazon and ebay
must be making way more on post than on profit from the
sellers.

In any event, I appreciate everyones input, thank you all, john

retro

Void where inhibited
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That is a neat idea. Do you know the refresh rate for this tach.

Thanks

The refresh rate is 1/2 second. Its the same for most of the others out there. Tiny Tach, Works connection, etc, most have identical features nowadays. I chose the TTO only because it is offered in an orange creamsicle color that I could velcro onto the top cover of any of my Stihls. Was about $36 shipped at Amazon I think. Postage to Ireland may be ridiculously expensive from the USA though. A better option for you might be something like this:?

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_odk...r.TRS0&_nkw=trail+tech+tto+tach+hour&_sacat=0

34 euros shipped = approximately $40 USD...?

G

Greenerpastures

The refresh rate is 1/2 second. Its the same for most of the others out there. Tiny Tach, Works connection, etc, most have identical features nowadays. I chose the TTO only because it is offered in an orange creamsicle color that I could velcro onto the top cover of any of my Stihls. Was about $36 shipped at Amazon I think. Postage to Ireland may be ridiculously expensive from the USA though. A better option for you might be something like this:?

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_odk...r.TRS0&_nkw=trail+tech+tto+tach+hour&_sacat=0

34 euros shipped = approximately $40 USD...?
Hi, thanks for the informaion and link.
It is not clear from the product images, but it looks like there
are two wires, or may be just a red tail sticking out of the black sheath.
Could I enqire as to how many wires come off the product you linked to.
And if the wire needs to be wrapped multiple times around the plug lead.

Thanks, john

retro

Void where inhibited
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The Trail Tech tach/hour meter has only one wire (sheathed in black with the red end sticking out) that you are instructed to wrap around the spark plug wire 5 wraps. It may work without wrapping if you get it close enough.... but I didn't try that.

The wire is about 4 feet (over a meter) in length. You can cut it to any convenient length and coil it up a bit like I did (I can move it from saw to saw for carb tuning each) under the top cover.

My only complaint with it is the battery is sealed up in potting resin (claimed to last 5 years), so when the battery eventually goes dead I'll have to work a bit harder to replace it. :)

Its cheap and works great though. Hope this helps.

G

Greenerpastures

The Trail Tech tach/hour meter has only one wire (sheathed in black with the red end sticking out) that you are instructed to wrap around the spark plug wire 5 wraps. It may work without wrapping if you get it close enough.... but I didn't try that.

The wire is about 4 feet (over a meter) in length. You can cut it to any convenient length and coil it up a bit like I did (I can move it from saw to saw for carb tuning each) under the top cover.

My only complaint with it is the battery is sealed up in potting resin (claimed to last 5 years), so when the battery eventually goes dead I'll have to work a bit harder to replace it. :)

Its cheap and works great though. Hope this helps.
Hi retro
Thanks for the great explanation, sounds like it will do my job, and from the looks of it, it is water proof too,
so it can stay on a saw without worrying.
One last question, the product description states Max "RPM Features", do you know if this
translates into max rpm hold or recall function.
Regards, john

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OPPAMA%20PET-1000%20Tach-2.jpg

Available through your Echo Dealer.

PET-1000 TACHOMETER
Manufacturer Item: 89780233331
Quantity Available:3 EA
Dealer Price: $83.80 EA
Savings:$0.00 per EA
Extended Price: $83.80
Suggested List Price $129.99 (U.S.D. as of 10/25/2017)

Straight from the distributor site.

Last edited:
G

Greenerpastures

Hi Onan 18

I wish, I live in rip off Ireland.
I bought a new Echo CS 501 about a month ago,
I sent an email to the same Echo dealer asking how much
he wanted for a CS 620, am still waiting on an answer,
so you can probably understand why am not going to ask
for a price off them for any more products.

Their loss, my money seems no good to them.

I appreciate the info though, and am certainly no knocking
any other Echo dealers. thanks.

Your username, hope you have a pre Cummings Onan, that old stuff was nice.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi Onan 18

I wish, I live in rip off Ireland.
I bought a new Echo CS 501 about a month ago,
I sent an email to the same Echo dealer asking how much
he wanted for a CS 620, am still waiting on an answer,
so you can probably understand why am not going to ask
for a price off them for any more products.

Their loss, my money seems no good to them.

I appreciate the info though, and am certainly no knocking
any other Echo dealers. thanks.

Your username, hope you have a pre Cummings Onan, that old stuff was nice.

I am sorry to hear that. I am an Echo Dealer and could get it for you but shipping would probably throw it out of whack. Are there no other Echo dealers near you? Also, see my edited post.

retro

Void where inhibited
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hi retro
Thanks for the great explanation, sounds like it will do my job, and from the looks of it, it is water proof too,
so it can stay on a saw without worrying.
One last question, the product description states Max "RPM Features", do you know if this
translates into max rpm hold or recall function.
Regards, john

Hi John,

The max RPM function works like a "telltale" tach on a race car. It records the max RPM per running session and holds it in memory, until you either reset it by pushing the button for 3 seconds, or you restart the motor. At any time while the saw is running (or after its shut off) you can view the max RPM screen. Once you shut the motor off and restart it, the previous max RPM held in memory is replaced by the current running session max RPM.

The Trail Tech has a clock (12 or 24 hour format) screen, an hour meter screen, a second hour meter (resettable) screen that you can use for a maintenance reminder, a tachometer screen, and a max RPM screen. You press the button on the front of the unit momentarily to cycle through each screen. Holding the button down 3 seconds configures options for or resets each screen.

The Trail Tech TTO is up to version 3 now. The new ones work a bit different (cycling through screens for instance) than previous versions, but seem to work as well as any other small, cheap tach does.

The setup menu instructions are incomplete on the package though... I think? I'm gonna have to contact the company to find out how to change the default refresh rate from 0.5 second to 1.0 second, because I can't find it. :-(

G

Greenerpastures

Hi John,

The max RPM function works like a "telltale" tach on a race car. It records the max RPM per running session and holds it in memory, until you either reset it by pushing the button for 3 seconds, or you restart the motor. At any time while the saw is running (or after its shut off) you can view the max RPM screen. Once you shut the motor off and restart it, the previous max RPM held in memory is replaced by the current running session max RPM.

The Trail Tech has a clock (12 or 24 hour format) screen, an hour meter screen, a second hour meter (resettable) screen that you can use for a maintenance reminder, a tachometer screen, and a max RPM screen. You press the button on the front of the unit momentarily to cycle through each screen. Holding the button down 3 seconds configures options for or resets each screen.

The Trail Tech TTO is up to version 3 now. The new ones work a bit different (cycling through screens for instance) than previous versions, but seem to work as well as any other small, cheap tach does.

The setup menu instructions are incomplete on the package though... I think? I'm gonna have to contact the company to find out how to change the default refresh rate from 0.5 second to 1.0 second, because I can't find it. :-(
Thank's again retro, very kind of you to take the time to go into such detail.
Makes me think this item will do fine for my needs, really only to confirm
my own tunning settings.

retro

Void where inhibited
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yep, idle speed and max RPM are about all you need to know to tune a saw.

I got an email back from Trail Tech today stating that the default 0.5 second refresh rate is no longer adjustable up to 1.0 second on the new version. So we are stuck with .5 second refresh... which is probably OK for most of us.

G

Greenerpastures

Yep, idle speed and max RPM are about all you need to know to tune a saw.

I got an email back from Trail Tech today stating that the default 0.5 second refresh rate is no longer adjustable up to 1.0 second on the new version. So we are stuck with .5 second refresh... which is probably OK for most of us.
But is .5 of a second not better than 1 second refresh rate, or am I not understanding.

G

Greenerpastures

Regarding idle, L and H adjustments.
Some people tell me setting the L is actually setting all the fuel that is
available for the engine,
and that setting the H is actually controlling the air ratio.

Is this true, or is the L for setting the available fuel up to mid rpm,
and the H for setting fuel available at high rpm, while the air flow
is a factor of throttle opening and what get hauled in through the filter.

Thanks, john

retro

Void where inhibited
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I prefer the .5 refresh rate myself. Maybe the company didn't see customers using the slower rate and dropped it. Dunno.

The "L" screw regulates low speed mixture, while the "H" screw regulates high speed mixture on carbs, like you said. Good luck in your search for an affordable tach.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

PET-1000 TACHOMETER
Manufacturer Item: 89780233331
Quantity Available:3 EA
Dealer Price: $83.80 EA
Savings:$0.00 per EA
Extended Price: $83.80
Suggested List Price $129.99 (U.S.D. as of 10/25/2017)

Straight from the distributor site.

OP you want .5

Thats the one I am still using. Only it is labeled stihl edt-5 way back.

In the thread link it shows the maker of those tachs. Oppama Engine Tachometer PET-1000R

Nate sells them too. https://performanceoutdoorequipment.com/collections/tools/products/oppama-engine-tachometer-pet-1000r

Last edited: