Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
PERFORMANCE THAT GOES TOE-TO-TOE WITH GAS MODELS

Battery-operated motor delivers 24 tons of ram force that's capable of splitting logs up to 25in.L x 16in.D

Get up to 300 splits on a single battery charge

Fast 13-second cycle time matches speeds of comparable gas-powered units

Can be used indoors or operated in an enclosed space since there are no exhaust fumes to worry about”

$2,999.99

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
‘Product Summary

This NorthStar 24-Ton Horizontal/Vertical Battery-Powered Log Splitter is the first of its kind in the industry! The revolutionary design delivers the power, performance and endurance of a gas splitter with the convenience and quiet operation of a hassle-free, battery-operated motor.

You’ll get up to 300 splits on a single charge of the powerful 60V Li-ion battery.

The innovative log splitter features a multi-patented design that gives you premium components and exclusive features, allowing you to save time, increase performance and work effectively.

The backbone of this log splitter is an industrial-strength I-beam with heavy-plate steel reinforcement.

The patented wedge design, made with alloy steel, maintains a consistent split and has a unique curve that reduces initial contact area for maximum penetrating force.

Add the optional NorthStar Wedge Wings (Item# 110910, sold separately) to make each stroke even more efficient.

The auto-return wedge design saves time and effort when splitting.

The premium hydraulic system is protected by a quad filtering system that uses four different components to protect the hydraulic system from contaminants. A large hydraulic oil reservoir allows fluid to effectively cool, reducing wear and helping fluid to last longer.

The slide-action, self-leveling pivot makes it simple to switch between horizontal and vertical splitting and the machine is for easy use in both orientations.

Some assembly required.
What's Included

(1) 24-Ton Li-Ion Log Splitter (1) 8 Amp charger (3.5-hr. charge time) (1) 60V/30Ah Lithium iron phosphate (LFP) battery’

Philbert

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
300 splits x 13 second cycle time
300x16=3,900 seconds ÷ 60= 65 minute run time

i have a hard time believing this, im no mathmatician and my math may be wrong but I dont think we have developed battery tech that good yet.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
300 splits x 13 second cycle time
300x16=3,900 seconds ÷ 60= 65 minute run time

i have a hard time believing this, im no mathmatician and my math may be wrong but I dont think we have developed battery tech that good yet.
30 Amp hour, 60 Volt battery. That’s like 10 of the batteries used in current battery powered chain saws. I don’t know how large or heavy it physically is

Philbert

Last edited:

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
seems the gas motors spin a hydraulic pump faster on a log splitter than any other hydraulic system I've seen , maybe this eletric unit is spinning the pump slower and can run longer because of that

Sdbilli

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t see the pint unless you are in Kalifornia. I saw somewhere that replacement battery is currently $699 yet is unavailable and backordered.

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
11:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll be the last person running stuff that runs on gas. Only cordless hand tools here.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Assuming that it works effectively for splitting, as intended . . . .

I think key advantages are: less noise, usable in a barn or shed without CO issues, no starting or maintenance issues associated with small gas engines, ON / OFF simplicity.

I have seen a number of threads where someone’s Dad can’t start a gas saw anymore, etc.

Concerns inlude battery life and availability. If it was compatible with a host of other products, that would be better. For $3K I would also like an A/C adapter, so that I could run it off an outlet if I really as in a building, or if the battery is charging and I want to split.

Philbert

Boomer2230

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Assuming that it works effectively for splitting, as intended . . . .

I think key advantages are: less noise, usable in a barn or shed without CO issues, no starting or maintenance issues associated with small gas engines, ON / OFF simplicity.

I have seen a number of threads where someone’s Dad can’t start a gas saw anymore, etc.

Concerns inlude battery life and availability. If it was compatible with a host of other products, that would be better. For $3K I would also like an A/C adapter, so that I could run it off an outlet if I really as in a building, or if the battery is charging and I want to split.

Philbert
It would be cool if it had an external battery pack that could be plugged into the machine when in use, and then have the same battery plugged into a solar grid when not splitting wood, then it would have multiple uses.

But the 60V would be an issue 🙄

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
5:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
300 splits in straight grain non fibrous knot free rounds .... , are gonna fall short 10 fold in anything that actually calls for a hydraulic splitter.

The 24 ton claim also seems very far fetched!
You need power to make power, and the power intake is ALWAYS higher that the power output.

60V/30Ah is nothing!
Ego makes 56V/12Ah packs suitable for their battery chainsaws, meaning "mobile/manageable".

I wanna see a video of battery thermal runaway of one of these splitters in the middle of a log yard.
Imagine the ensuing lawsuit act!

I am not against battery powered equipment, but the battery OPE I own can't hold a candle to combustion powered counterparts they are being compared to!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not a battery expert. However, I see them being offered in zero turn mowers, lawn tractors, etc., in addition to motorcycles, cars, excavators, etc. There may be differences between those used in hand-held equipment?

I don’t know if ‘lithium ion phosphate’ is different?

Company is local, and got started with log splatters 40+ years ago. I asked if they are doing any demos, but have not heard back on any.

Philbert

Last edited:

Dave Sr.

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't see how it would be practical for someone who heats with wood all Winter. First of all it costs about double what an equal size gas splitter does. When I split wood I usually run my splitter about 6 hours a day usually about 7 days to split a Winters supply of wood. With this splitter if it only runs about 65 minutes on a charge you would need 4 batteries if it takes 3 hours to charge a battery. If these batteries cost about $700.00 each that would be another $2100.00 if the splitter comes with 1 battery. You could recharge the first battery while running the next battery but the first battery would probably have to cool down before it could be charged. I wonder how many times these batteries can be recharged before they start losing run time. Most of my hand tools are battery powered and I have a plug in 6.5 ton electric splitter in the shop that I use for splitting kindling.

karrl

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The more I think about it the more I think they should have went with a kinetic design. It won’t split the gnarly stuff but I’m guessing the electro/hydro system would struggle too. At least with the kinetic setup you could extend your battery life a bit.

Business wise kinetic splitters have a smaller customer base than hydro splitters so it makes some sense to build what you’re going to sell more of.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems like everybody is getting on the battery power train .Obviously it works to some degree depending on how you use it .I've got battery drills and two 36 volt vintage golf carts .However both splitters are gassers ,11 HP and 8 HP Briggs and Stratton engines .I would guess I could replace both engines cheaper than one 60 volt battery .
Now then lead acid batteries .The reserve is directly related to the battery plate size .For example those carts originally used 6 six volt connected in series to make 36 volts .They cost $150 a pop and weigh 62 pounds each .Litheium would be twice that amount which is something to consider .However unlike the battery splitter you could have options such as using marine deep cycle .Three size 27 marine are $122 times three but only have about half the reserve or about a 4 mile mile range on a full charge with new batteries which after a period of usage will degrade .That's just the nature of a storage battery no matter what it's used for .I some how I can't see anybody using 5 marine 12 volts connected to a log splitter to get 60 volts .That's over 300 pounds of batteries .
Having said all that it's an option ,different strokes for different folks .

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al, I thought you would run it off your Tesla with jumper cables!

Philbert

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the two old golf carts I have will be the only battery vehicles I'll ever own .I wouldn't have them except they were dirt cheap .I had to review my DC theory which I had not used in decades before I could repair them .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Although I don't know what type DC motor is used on that "high tech " splitter uses it might be DC brushless servo motors which are much more efficiant than DC series field motors .Those are nothing but a glorified starter motor but very powerful .Then on the other hand an hour or two with a splitter you can get a lot of wood .For an old coot like me a couple of hours a day is plenty .