Newer Husqvarna Battery Powered Chainsaws

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
7:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Watched a webinar today which discussed some newer Husqvarna battery powered chainsaws: 540i XP (rear handle) and T540i XP (top handle). They claim to have the power of a 40 cc 2-cycle saw. Also, include more 'PRO' features, such as more magnesium in the housing instead of plastic, and upgraded batteries. Water resistant to rain and splashes, but not submersible. Said to be available in the US in 'mid-August', 2020 (but who knows with new product releases and COVD?).

Here are some links for general information:

Comparing the (new) T540iXP to the (current) T536LiXP:

General promo video:

540i XP (UK):
https://www.husqvarna.com/uk/products/chainsaws/540i-xp/967864014/

T540i XP (UK):
https://www.husqvarna.com/uk/products/chainsaws/t540i-xp/967863712/

Philbert

Last edited:

MarkEagleUSA

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 120i that I’m basically pleased with. It’s great for the occasional downed limb but also holds its own in small (3-6”) wood. The only negative is battery life. Having 3 batteries makes it tolerable (I also have the blower, string trimmer, and hedge clipper) but until battery life improves, battery saws won’t go mainstream IMHO.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 120i that I’m basically pleased with. It’s great for the occasional downed limb but also holds its own in small (3-6”) wood. The only negative is battery life. Having 3 batteries makes it tolerable (I also have the blower, string trimmer, and hedge clipper) but until battery life improves, battery saws won’t go mainstream IMHO.
IMO you summed it up perfectly. Batteries are getting better but they are still not good enough. You cant beat the power to weight ratio of a battery to gasoline...
maybe one day it will be like the movie escape from LA where he uses a ‘mini nuke battery’ lol

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The mini nuke battery won't be backward compatible and You'll have to purchase all Your tools anew! ;)

I read some Lithium battery related articles the other day, what stuck were the quotes "manufacturers are riding Lithium Ion batteries on the edge of self combustion" and "every Lithium Ion powered device is a small bomb waiting to burst".
Kinda made me think. o_O

Also read a long article about the environmental impact mining for Lithium has.
Green only in the manufacturers wallets.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Who would be you get to do port work on one of these?
I'd give it a shot, but cooling the battery will be the hard part. Worst of all is letting one of these sit in full sun for a while, then run it hard. Safety features should shut it off before the battery overheats, but from my experience it doesn't take much heat to stress a lithium battery. 115-120F is enough to start puffing a soft case lipo. Even a cell phone will shut down just sitting out in the sun.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And since even expressive brand name batteries come from China One relies on luck for the protective circuitry to kick in in time . . .

1596265424073915036454.jpg

Not saying that a non-China made products can not fail.
Makes You feel all warm and fuzzy, till You realize it's Your phones battery burning a hole through Your skin.

The good batteries are those that just die and take no charge.
The bad batteries are those that keep running but start running hot, deforming, bloating up.
The ugly batteries are those that start hissing at You and burst up in flame.

I never realized Lithium is such a reactive metal till I read up on Lithium batteries.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can chop open a dead lithium battery and nothing will happen. It's a bit more reactive the more charged it is, and a metal chopper doesn't help since it shorts the cells in the process.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We get complacent with a lot of things. Like gasoline. Electricity. Chainsaws. I recall chemistry experiments in school with reactive metals like sodium, lithium, etc.

I recall a number of videos of cheap ‘hoverboards’ and ‘vape pens’ spontaneously catching fire.

So, I am not interested in some of the really cheap Li-Ion products, and do not recommend taking the battery packs apart.

Philbert

Last edited:

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The mini nuke battery won't be backward compatible and You'll have to purchase all Your tools anew! ;)

I read some Lithium battery related articles the other day, what stuck were the quotes "manufacturers are riding Lithium Ion batteries on the edge of self combustion" and "every Lithium Ion powered device is a small bomb waiting to burst".
Kinda made me think. o_O

Also read a long article about the environmental impact mining for Lithium has.
Green only in the manufacturers wallets.
Remember the samsung phone debacle?
Li-ion batteries with a new design but not enough R&D done cause they rushed it.

I think a mini nuke battery would have been safer? ;)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope, no idea what that was about.
I am not one to run for the next new thing, as such I don't care about product news much.
A long time ago I did catch some news about iPhone batteries catching fire on high altitude in planes though.

I use an over a decade old dumbphone (on its second Li-Po battery), my computer's are all pre 2010 (one desktop, two laptops on factory Li-Ion batteries), my car is 16 (on its third lead-acid battery).
I try to make do with what I have, cash is too hard to come by.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Obsolescence is a key issue. My iPhone functioned perfectly, but does not support the new 5G protocols being established. Got a note from my carrier, along with problems I have had with websites, apps, etc. My computer works fine too, except that I can no longer upgrade to browers and operating systems that are compatible with programs and applications that others are using. So I have to upgrade those two. Automobile batteries typically last 4-5 years around here.

Bringing this back around to the thread topic, there are many classic chainsaws out there where aftermarket parts are readily available, and others where they are very hard to find, making them practically unusable. So with battery powered OPE, I am more comfortable with a brand name tool, which I expect to be supported over time, than with a 'no-brand' tool that may be a cr*p-shoot. Some guys might be happy with a tool that they 'use up' in a year, or write off on a specific project. I tend to keep my stuff a long time (last car I had for 21-1/2 years!).

I know that there are OEM and aftermarket battery packs sold for a number of popular, contractor tools, including some of the old Makita 'stick' batteries! Lots of DeWalt batteries and replacements. Our local 'Batteries Plus' store will even rebuild battery packs that you bring in, but last time I checked, they were not doing Lithium-Ion batteries. Maybe that will change. But I am confident that options will be available for the mainstream products for a long time.

If they do come out with a mini-nuke/fission powered chainsaw, it might be something I'd like to review. Especially with an Unobtainium chain that never gets dull!

Philbert

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got one of these T540iXP's. :)

Totally blows up any other battery saws they've made so far. Comparing it to the T536 we just broke out in laughter.

Lent it out to a guy and after doing a tree job, used it to cut the stuff to firewood length for the customer. (14" bar buried in red oak) Of course using it as a firewood saw naturally led to a complaint about running down the battery. Big question is: How much work can you do on a battery vs tank(s) of fuel? Don't really know yet. Not done fooling with this thing. My gut is that guys who want to chunk down a tree with a top handle instead of grabbing a larger saw will gripe about the battery. And you can only have so many batteries on the job. But burying the bar on cut after cut will shorten the battery life of anything. But the power is that impressive that you just want to keep going as the cuts get bigger.

I've got a couple on order, but don't expect them to ship for 3 weeks or so. Ain't gonna be cheap either. Think there's a kit that includes a charger and two batteries and will go for about a grand. Batteries are 5.2 AH, a step up from the standard BL200. (now the BL200x)

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to highjack your thread, but I love my makita 36v top handle saw. Been the handiest thing I’ve put on my shed sled tool wise. For the occasional limb/ bush... I run into hauling barns it’s fantastic. Best part is no fuel smell in the cab of the truck.

justoldsaws

From the land downunder
Local time
10:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to highjack your thread, but I love my makita 36v top handle saw. Been the handiest thing I’ve put on my shed sled tool wise. For the occasional limb/ bush... I run into hauling barns it’s fantastic. Best part is no fuel smell in the cab of the truck.

My father just bought a 36v Makita as a camp saw, its a great bit of gear.