Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
2:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Loony661 I keep wondering about that. When I fell trees I spend a lot more time farting around with logistics than I do cutting. When I cut firewood, the saws get wrung out.
I think your much higher ambient temperature, and dusty conditions have a lot more to do with bar and chain wear than anything else..

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
3:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So it seems used cooking oil may be safe. Which tackifier?

I used a few gallons of used canola for big trees that went down here and than swapped over to mineral based oil towards the end. No issues at all. Adding a tackifier would be nice. Even adding to cheap 30W mineral oils on sale may be cheaper than bar oil by the gallon.

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So it seems used cooking oil may be safe. Which tackifier?

I used a few gallons of used canola for big trees that went down here and than swapped over to mineral based oil towards the end. No issues at all. Adding a tackifier would be nice. Even adding to cheap 30W mineral oils on sale may be cheaper than bar oil by the gallon.
Believe me u don’t need tackifier when u use canola oil. Maybe when ur running a bar length that is near or over the limit off the oil pump

Rugger007

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey y’all, this is my first post on here.

I started using canola oil and it’s amazing. Nothing clogs up and cleanup is so easy. I do add a bit of STP Ceramic oil treatment or a bit of Stihl med bar oil (orange jug) just to use it up. Once the Stihl and STP are used up, it will be straight canola for me.
I looked into DGP but it’s $80/gal 🤮 and even cheap bar oil is $27/gal. Canola I can get locally for $8/3L sometimes cheaper. Even if I add STP, it’s still cheaper.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey y’all, this is my first post on here.

I started using canola oil and it’s amazing. Nothing clogs up and cleanup is so easy. I do add a bit of STP Ceramic oil treatment or a bit of Stihl med bar oil (orange jug) just to use it up. Once the Stihl and STP are used up, it will be straight canola for me.
I looked into DGP but it’s $80/gal 🤮 and even cheap bar oil is $27/gal. Canola I can get locally for $8/3L sometimes cheaper. Even if I add STP, it’s still cheaper.
Welcome to the nut house.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
12:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think your much higher ambient temperature, and dusty conditions have a lot more to do with bar and chain wear than anything else..
I don’t have too much trouble with bar wear. I was referring more to logger wear vs. “just a firewood guy”.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
12:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok now I understand.
*unless I'm cutting a lot of dead dry stuff. The dry eucs I cut are usually pretty large in diameter so it only takes a few cuts to make enough rounds to generate a few cords. I have been running my 30"(.404) cannon carbon fiber insert guinea pig bar on my 461 (good air filter) almost exclusively, and the rails are starting to show burrs. I have 9 clean green mostly small indian laurels to drop this weekend, so will probably use the red 372s.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guy's have cheap bar oil we don't lol
Run big cc saws all day every day it would be stupid expensive if buying "bar oil"
Is ok if ya don't run a saw much.. but if ya do you would have to have rocks in ya head paying the silly price's they want for bar oil down here.
All this talk about bar oil must have "tachifier"....Tachifier is a gimmick lol

Screenshot_20240121_192445_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240121_192413_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240121_192336_Chrome.jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guy's have cheap bar oil we don't lol
Run big cc saws all day every day it would be stupid expensive if buying "bar oil"
Is ok if ya don't run a saw much.. but if ya do you would have to have rocks in ya head paying the silly price's they want for bar oil down here.
All this talk about bar oil must have "tachifier"....Tachifier is a gimmick lol

View attachment 404730View attachment 404731View attachment 404732
U forgot to tell us what u us instead;)

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How are you on bar maintenance? Replaceable tips or solid bars? Bars should last a long, long time with proper dressing and cleaning.

The only bars I consistently burnt through quickly were the Oregon Versa-Cut bars. The laminate-layers would separate and ultimately split or crack.

I've had the same experience with versa-cut bars, they bend really easy too.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hand-squeesed baby wallaby oil in STIHL saws, Kombi drain in everything else. 🤣

What are you using when cutting those massive monsters @rogue60 ?
Nothing Stihl oilers are so stingy I don't even bother putting oil in the tank anymore no point just adds weight 🙃