CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys,

I live in Birmingham, AL and I have about 30% shade in my backyard.
I have tried a number grasses including heat resistant fescue and grass designed for shady areas specifically.
The results have all been the same, looks good, healthy, and green yet when the heat of late May and the summer months come in it withers up and dies!
I'm not ready to invest in high dollar Zoysia or sodding bermuda just yet.
I see this certain fescue looking grass thriving on the sides of our highways in extreme heat all summer long.
I have considered double seeding bermuda or perhaps pasture fescue that farmers use for their cattle. Maybe even clover?
Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,
Reg

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you don’t mind clover I would use pasture mix, it’s got a good blend of grasses and clover mixed in. You may want to do a soil test to see if anything is lacking which could result in poor performance of the grasses you have tried.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you don’t mind clover I would use pasture mix, it’s got a good blend of grasses and clover mixed in. You may want to do a soil test to see if anything is lacking which could result in poor performance of the grasses you have tried.
Good idea...thanks

Junior Samples

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was wondering if the healthy grass you see along the roads in your area is Johnson grass? That stuff is a pain in the you no what on lawns and will grow where corn won't grow.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Junior, I believe you're right!
I had my share of sling-blading Johnson grass as a kid...reckon I'll pass on it @ 56yrs old!

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would say the problem is in the soil analysis. If you have hardwoods near, probably too high of a pH. If the pH isn’t right, the plant can’t take up the nutrients like they need to.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As said above, first thing to do is get a soil test. Usually you can order one through your county university extension office or conservation district. You are far enough south that you will not have luck with any cool season grasses like any of the fescues. Id be looking into centipedegrass if i was looking for a low maintenance homelawn in your neighborhood.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As said above, first thing to do is get a soil test. Usually you can order one through your county university extension office or conservation district. You are far enough south that you will not have luck with any cool season grasses like any of the fescues. Id be looking into centipedegrass if i was looking for a low maintenance homelawn in your neighborhood.
I'm aware of that...mostly by trial & error.
Auburn did a soil test in 2015...surprisingly the soil was in decent shape.
I'll try and upload it when I get a chance...centipede is the leading choice right now.
May decide to bite the bullet & get the Emerald Zoysia

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I live in the gadsden area and have the same problem in some ways. Mostly due to big water oaks in my front yard. I can’t get anything to grow under them. Hope you find something that works and share. Thinking about having a soil analysis from auburn as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro