Automatic Chain Sharpener - Under $300

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, some of the answers were a bit sketchy and glossed over.
Sounds like he’s got a lot going on atm though so maybe just no time for in depth answers.
That and there’s also the politics of marketing that can be quite convoluted and mysterious, lol...

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello Gun. I have been following this thread with much interest. I run a small one man mower/saw shop and if you can produce a machine that can do .043 .050 and .063 full comp round grind chains for $300 or even close to that price. I would buy tomorrow. If you want a product tester for a machine with that capability willing to buy up front let me know. Right now I use an Oregon 620 120 with CBN wheels. Would like to see how the two compare in grind quality and how much time per chain it takes to sharpen on both.
Thanks for all your effort here on the forum.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
... In that time, please formulate here an explicit plan on getting this demo out to you guys. @Philbert has emailed me some good ideas, and I'd like for everyone to agree on something before we get it underway. Ideally, I'd like to see the OPE plan get one shipped out when I return.

My apologies for my absence.

My proposal is in Post #85 (quoted below).

I would like to have it for 3 - 4 weeks to try out some different things, and get a good feel for it. At that rate 6 - 8 people could try over for the 6 month period. This depends on how many guys want to try it, and commit to covering the shipping costs, etc.

***Please send me a PM if interested to keep the thread from getting off track***

Philbert

I think the best plan would be to follow Philbert's plan explicitly. Send the man a grinder. You'll get some great info back. Anyone who is interested in using it next can get in touch with Philbert.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the best plan would be to follow Philbert's plan explicitly. Send the man a grinder. You'll get some great info back. Anyone who is interested in using it next can get in touch with Philbert.

x3

If there is any member willing to play with round ground chains and supply ample information/feedback it's Philbert!

GunTemco

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm back, and one of the things I want to get going this week is to get that demo out.

Not to be a cantankerous, biartching, ungrateful, disrespectful bastid here, but I'm either so brain-dead I couldn't understand the answers to my recent questions or those questions weren't actually answered. Am I the only one left fruitlessly searching for "yes" and "no" in some of these answers? Did anyone reading my recent questions understand what I was asking? If they did and they also understand the answers tendered, can they dumb down the answers so I can understand them please?
Thanks in advance.
Yes, some of the answers were a bit sketchy and glossed over.
Sounds like he’s got a lot going on atm though so maybe just no time for in depth answers.
That and there’s also the politics of marketing that can be quite convoluted and mysterious, lol...

@KiwiBro I do believe I gave a complete answer to your last question regarding later versions of the FP1000. Please keep in mind I cannot reveal any of the R&D that we are doing for various reasons, mostly to play our cards close to our chest against competitors who are quite possibly reading this thread. You did ask why anyone would buy a current version of a product when a newer version of the same product is being worked on and would be released later. This, first, is not a yes-or-no question. Second, I did provide a direct response regarding how our company deals with revisions.

I believe one of the issues happening is that there are many questions about future versions, to which answers are either limited or cannot be answered, and very few questions about the current iteration because the demo isn't out yet. I'd like to get that demo out soon so you guys can see what it currently does do well.

Hello Gun. I have been following this thread with much interest. I run a small one man mower/saw shop and if you can produce a machine that can do .043 .050 and .063 full comp round grind chains for $300 or even close to that price. I would buy tomorrow. If you want a product tester for a machine with that capability willing to buy up front let me know. Right now I use an Oregon 620 120 with CBN wheels. Would like to see how the two compare in grind quality and how much time per chain it takes to sharpen on both.
Thanks for all your effort here on the forum.

@Larry B The FP1000 does work with full comp .043 and .050. It does not work with full comp .063. As noted before, it does a round ground, not a square grind.

GunTemco

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My proposal is in Post #85 (quoted below).

I would like to have it for 3 - 4 weeks to try out some different things, and get a good feel for it. At that rate 6 - 8 people could try over for the 6 month period. This depends on how many guys want to try it, and commit to covering the shipping costs, etc.

Since there are no objections or vetos against this general plan, I will discuss shipping @Philbert a unit and have him arrange the details for its future travels. Here are a couple of stipulations that I'd like to make clear:

1. TEMCo will cover any broken parts or replacements on the demo, as we normally do for any of our products.
2. OPE forum members will cover the cost of shipping the demo to each other.
3. TEMCo will donate the demo and cover the final cost of shipping it to its final location, TBD as of 1/7/19.
4. If the demo is lost or stolen, TEMCo will not cover a replacement.
5. Members of OPE will decide on the best means of shipping the unit to the next member, any rules regarding its demoing, etc.
6. Ideally, we'd like to see technical criticism of the actual unit from those demoing it. Perhaps we can start a new thread on the demo where people can ask direct questions to reviewers? What are the OPE Forum rules regarding something like this?

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since there are no objections or vetos against this general plan, I will discuss shipping @Philbert a unit and have him arrange the details for its future travels. Here are a couple of stipulations that I'd like to make clear:

1. TEMCo will cover any broken parts or replacements on the demo, as we normally do for any of our products.
2. OPE forum members will cover the cost of shipping the demo to each other.
3. TEMCo will donate the demo and cover the final cost of shipping it to its final location, TBD as of 1/7/19.
4. If the demo is lost or stolen, TEMCo will not cover a replacement.
5. Members of OPE will decide on the best means of shipping the unit to the next member, any rules regarding its demoing, etc.
6. Ideally, we'd like to see technical criticism of the actual unit from those demoing it. Perhaps we can start a new thread on the demo where people can ask direct questions to reviewers? What are the OPE Forum rules regarding something like this?
Sounds great to me, I especially like the separate review thread idea.

I can hardly wait to read Philbert's first impressions and see some chains ground on the unit.

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Can't say.
Given most, if not all, existing competitors can already handle .063 I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed this info is deemed commercially sensitive enough to warrant withholding it from potential buyers of the current version. But it's your sandpit, your rules.

Last edited:

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Being a shop I need .043 .050 and .063 so when you have a model that does all three let me know.
Thanks
There could be a case for buying individual versions that can only handle one or a few gauges and not all, if collectively, the total cost is acceptable and the different versions will allow you to cover all bases. At least, that way, you could be grinding multiple chains of different gauges at the same time.

Personally, however, I'm mobile and I'll be slackerged if I'm dragging multiple grinders around with me wherever I go.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't do enough chains to justify a grinder for each size. I already have an oregon 620-120 which is pretty quick but I don't like changing wheels just to do rakers. I would like to try the FP1000 to grind cutters and dedicate the oregon 620-120 just for rakers. Being an incurable toolaholic (in therapy though) for $300 I would give it a shot.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello everyone! I'm back, and one of the things I want to get going this week is to get that demo out.
Here are a couple of stipulations that I'd like to make clear: . . . Perhaps we can start a new thread on the demo where people can ask direct questions to reviewers?
Good to see you back.

No problem starting a separate thread for the review. I will initiate one when I start posting my review, and will link it to this thread so that people can find both.

Let's get this party started!

Philbert

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice Phil. You gonna do some chain cutting comparisons? Hand filed vs Ground?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You gonna do some chain cutting comparisons? Hand filed vs Ground?
Have to see. First goal for me is to learn how this sharpener works.

HOWEVER . . . other evaluators might want to explore some of these comparisons, other than just repeating the things that I looked at.

Philbert

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only real way to tell if grinder is better than hand filing is to test the cutting ability. Timed cuts.
At least that's my thought.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only real way to tell if grinder is better than hand filing is to test the cutting ability. Timed cuts.
At least that's my thought.
As far as round goes I don’t think any grinder could beat a sharp filed chain. No hate for grinders. Wish I had a good one.