Automatic Chain Sharpener - Under $300

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
7:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would like to try a chain that has been ground by this auto grinder and compare it to my own hand filed round chain.

I'd like to see a comparison between a hand filed chain and a chain ground from this automatic grinder.
Not sure if I missed it, but is there a close up of the cutter after being ground?

Is it possible to get some nice closeup photos of the cutters on a auto grinder sharpened chain please.

I would still like to see a photo or 2 of a finished cutter.

I would still like to see a closeup photo of a couple of finished cutters.

Well, you are certainly consistent in your requests!

If Gun is not able to post any, I certainly plan to post some 'before and after' photos from the demo unit, after I have had some time to get used to it.

Philbert

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They look better or worse than a hand filed cutter Bill?

Kenskip1

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is this machine able to feel the wheels performance declining when it has oil and dust embedded in the wheel? Well sir, I am most able to.And I believe that many others that use a grinder have the same feeling.Pun intended.This is for those that take pride in there sharpening skills.Not some 17 year old kid working at a hardware store that doesn't give a damn.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They look better or worse than a hand filed cutter Bill?

Just different.
With this type of machine grinding , the wheel comes straight into the cutter so you don't get the radius under the top plate like you do with a round file.
To accomplish that, the cutter would have to move in to the wheel and back out in similar fashion to what a square grinder does.

How this is affects cutting performance I don't know.
Many claim that machine grinding can't compete with (good) hand filing and this is the most obvious difference I can see.

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If there is no pride to be had for someone in researching, setting up, maintaining and profiting (in time and $) from a good auto grinder, they should stick to their files, manual grinding, or whatever else it is that fills them with pride. To each their own.

Last edited:

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Since its a proprietary wheel, I'm curious as to the expected life and what is the replacement cost.
What are they, vitrified, resiniod? What grit?
Also if there will be different compositions and grits available.

With mixed length cutters, looks like it would have to be setup to do the longest cutters first and progressively be adjusted for each go around until the shorter ones see contact.
How aggressive can the grinding be before overheating cutters...?

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Something along the lines of Dinasaw's cyclone wheels might be a good thing if the appropriately shaped wheels will hold up on this grinder. Naff all overheating and self-clearing to a certain degree.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's kinda what I was thinking Bill.
Thank you.
@wcorey

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With this type of machine grinding , the wheel comes straight into the cutter so you don't get the radius under the top plate like you do with a round file.

Actually, the wheel appears to contact the top plate in an arc, so it creates a hollow grind, but different from a round file.

I tried a manual grinder that sharpened like this, but could not see what I was doing.

The 'standard' Oregon style grinders leave a hollow ground edge if you grind either the profiled edge of the wheel, and a flat top plate edge if you grind with the side.

That's the bottom line!

Philbert

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will you do some comparison chain vids Phil? Same saw same bar same wood, just hand filed vs. auto ground chains?

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Will the changes to accommodate different gauges and pitches be applicable to the existing model via some sort of upgrade kit? In other words, why should I buy this discounted early-adopter's version that doesn't quite hit the mark for my needs, unless it can be upgraded for a fair price later on? ;-)

GunTemco

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Phew I got quite a bit of messages to go through from the weekend. I'm very excited to see so many comments.

Thank you Gun. That youtube playlist is fantastic.
If I'm understanding this correctly, to handle two cutters without a tie strap between them, the user could start the grinder on the second cutter and finish the loop on the first of those cutters. Would that work? If so, and with the machine doing its pre-grind calibration tango, the user would have to count back along the chain and be very careful about where they position those two cutters on the machine to start with when they first place the loop in the machine.

Would positioning the proximity sensor between the shortest expected feed pawl start point and feed pawl stop points rather than before the feed pawl start point eliminate the calibration tango?

Glad you found the videos insightful. Please let me know if there's anything else you would like to see in them.

If you happen to have a single skip link in the loop, you can position after the skip and have it count 5 cutters. In the end, it just won't reach the skip link cutter, and a handful of cutters will have to be sharpened.

We have some ideas to the sensor system that would best resolve this, but I cannot disclose them. My apologies!

A ~$400 automated square grinder... I'd be in for throwing some $'s into a crowd funded pre-purchase...

[message read but clipped for brevity]

I'm sure our engineers would like to speak to you if you're willing to share these ideas!

A $400 manual square grinder would be a hot seller. Waiting to see a quality clone of the Simington / Silvey Swing Arm grinder. An auto square grinder would not provide the range of angles desired, unless it also allowed custom wheel dressing / profiling.

Anyway, that would be a different thread, but it shows the continued interest among guys on this site.

Philbert

Yes, it does seem the engineering and design of the machine would be tricky, especially while keeping costs down.

I would still like to see a closeup photo of a couple of finished cutters.

Unfortunately I do not have on me a chain that we tested on. As noted, we do have some videos of it, but the close up isn't very good. I'll see if I can get one of these posted soon.

Is this machine able to feel the wheels performance declining when it has oil and dust embedded in the wheel? Well sir, I am most able to.And I believe that many others that use a grinder have the same feeling.Pun intended.This is for those that take pride in there sharpening skills.Not some 17 year old kid working at a hardware store that doesn't give a damn.
If there is no pride to be had for someone in researching, setting up, maintaining and profiting (in time and $) from a good auto grinder, they should stick to their files, manual grinding, or whatever else it is that fills them with pride. To each their own.

The FP1000 is great at automatically sharpening certain sizes of non skip chains. Just like any tool any of us use, it will not do its job when it is neglected, or its user is not familiar with it.

Just different.
To accomplish that, the cutter would have to move in to the wheel and back out in similar fashion to what a square grinder does.

Many claim that machine grinding can't compete with (good) hand filing and this is the most obvious difference I can see.

This is a tough claim to measure, especially because it's very dependent on the person's experience and skill. We're excited to offer the demo to some of the more experienced members here to see how it compares to their expert hands!

Since its a proprietary wheel, I'm curious as to the expected life and what is the replacement cost.
What are they, vitrified, resiniod? What grit?
Also if there will be different compositions and grits available.

With mixed length cutters, looks like it would have to be setup to do the longest cutters first and progressively be adjusted for each go around until the shorter ones see contact.
How aggressive can the grinding be before overheating cutters...?

They are currently available for sale on eBay. I'm unsure how much I'm allowed to note here because it might go against the forum's marketing rules.

We recommending making "light passes" as to not overheat the cutters. This can be a little confusing, and the video demonstration in the playlist shows what we mean by this.

Regarding comments about wheels: We are actually improving the design and currently prototyping CBN resin bonded wheels. As noted before: the wheel spins at a high RPM and if using CBN wheels, it itself is quite dense. If tolerances aren't met, the machine will vibrate off your table if it isn't mounted. We are currently working on finishing prototyping.

Will the changes to accommodate different gauges and pitches be applicable to the existing model via some sort of upgrade kit? In other words, why should I buy this discounted early-adopter's version that doesn't quite hit the mark for my needs, unless it can be upgraded for a fair price later on? ;-)

TEMCo Industrial has been selling tools and power equipment since 1968, and it's always been in the company's ethos to improve our products, even if there's nothing wrong with them. We live in a competitive world, so unless we continue to innovate, adapt, and respond to customers, our competitors will. As long as there is interest and desire, there will always be newer versions of this product. That means after the next revision, we'll be right back here asking you guys what you think of it, what's terrible about it, what's great about it, and start again on making a newer version.

We think that if this current iteration is the one you want and need, excellent! We are here to make as many of your guys' work as enjoyable as possible. In that regard, we will certainly do our best to improve and accommodate as many of you as we can in all our revisions.[/QUOTE]

GunTemco

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Fantastic news. Thanks for this Gun, and Temco.
As you've saved me $50, I've donated that to the Witmer family's raffle/fundraiser on your behalf. So, you're in the prize draw now ;) Good luck.

Being on the other side of the planet, will leave it up to everyone else to sort out how the travelling demo will work. I do however look forward to reading what members here think of it, starting with first and foremost Philbert.

Thanks again.

I realized I forgot to thank you for this. Thank you for that kind gesture!

GunTemco

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have some important family matters to attend to that will require my leave from the office, and I won't be back until Monday of next week.

In that time, please formulate here an explicit plan on getting this demo out to you guys. @Philbert has emailed me some good ideas, and I'd like for everyone to agree on something before we get it underway. Ideally, I'd like to see the OPE plan get one shipped out when I return.

My apologies for my absence.

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wheels are $30 on fee pay, a bit on the high side for being so small unless it’s ceramic or something similarly long lasting.
Still wonder how long they’re expected to go...

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. . . please formulate here an explicit plan on getting this demo out to you guys. . . I'd like for everyone to agree on something before we get it underway.
My proposal is in Post #85 (quoted below).

I would like to have it for 3 - 4 weeks to try out some different things, and get a good feel for it. At that rate 6 - 8 people could try over for the 6 month period. This depends on how many guys want to try it, and commit to covering the shipping costs, etc.

***Please send me a PM if interested to keep the thread from getting off track***

Philbert

Thank you Gun.

Send it to me and we will get this ball rolling (I will PM you my address).

My recommendations are:
- established OPE members;
- especially those who have expressed an interest in this thread;
- who commit to giving the product a fair, unbiased evaluation;
- and commit to sharing their experiences, comments and recommendations in this thread (positive and negative);
- who actually run chain that this machine accommodates (3/8 low profile ('PICCO'), .325, full sized 3/8 pitch; 0.043 and 0.050 gauge);
- who agree to ship the machine to the next person at their own expense (up to $30?);
- who live in the US (sorry guys: even shipping to Canada gets expensive and complicated, and the AC adaptor is for 120V US).

Since TEMCo retains ownership until the end, I will ask Gun to approve the list.

I would want to keep the unit for a few weeks, since evaluation will be done on the side. Limited cutting going on right now (winter in Minnesota!), but I do have 'a few' different chains to try it on. No GTGs planned for this time of year either, but I might be able to show it to some other folks informally.

Thoughts?

Philbert

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not to be a cantankerous, biartching, ungrateful, disrespectful bastid here, but I'm either so brain-dead I couldn't understand the answers to my recent questions or those questions weren't actually answered. Am I the only one left fruitlessly searching for "yes" and "no" in some of these answers? Did anyone reading my recent questions understand what I was asking? If they did and they also understand the answers tendered, can they dumb down the answers so I can understand them please?
Thanks in advance.