Archer chain

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my area Oregon is more affordable than Stihl - Stihl is THE most expensive chain I can get.
Carlton is a little more affordable than Oregon.
No idea on pricing for Archer chains, but TriLink is still roughly half the price, maybe 3/5th of Oregon.

Husqvarna X-Cut is on par with Oregon EXL/LGX.

The main seller of Archer on eBay has added $5 a loop to the price for the same loop on the Archer.com site but “shipping is free”

No, it’s not

You added it in to the price so don’t play games

The actual Archer site won’t ship to Hawaii or Alaska at all

I don’t need any chain but I can get a loop of Oregon off Amick’s for $16 and the equivalent loop of Archer off eBay is $23

You do the math…

When my 2 loops are done, regardless of how that happens, I am done with Archer

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With Oregon being more affordable for You there is LITERALLY no reason to purchase Archer chains!

As posted recently, I have been utilizing an as new Archer loop to buck up some oak trunks.
It is the most unpleasant chain I have ever used!

But, if Archer chains work for any of You than that's great!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
3:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The main seller of Archer on eBay has added $5 a loop to the price for the same loop on the Archer.com site but “shipping is free”

No, it’s not

You added it in to the price so don’t play games

The actual Archer site won’t ship to Hawaii or Alaska at all

I don’t need any chain but I can get a loop of Oregon off Amick’s for $16 and the equivalent loop of Archer off eBay is $23

You do the math…

When my 2 loops are done, regardless of how that happens, I am done with Archer

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You deserve better anyway sir! Life is too short to run cheap chain.

AuerX

Constantly Confused
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 305220 Change of plans, the Forester full chisel skip gets beat up in the dirty wood I'm cutting so switching to a semi chisel Oregon skip.
Skippety skip.
Quoting myself haha.
Really like this Oregon chain, holds up well and cuts fast enough for me.

Some old Ash felled last year or so.

20210929_150249.jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Quoting myself haha.
Really like this Oregon chain, holds up well and cuts fast enough for me.

Some old Ash felled last year or so.

View attachment 310676
They spelled DOLMAR wrong on that bar!!!
Well, at least they got the saws color right. :p

Oregon FTW, Archer feels mediocre to me, Stihl is too expensive without being any better than Oregon.

Ash, I had the pleasure to buck up and burn a couple logs of it - it is soft/speed wood in my book.
Love the sweet smell and bright white color of it, it also burns unlike any other wood species I ever burned - napalm to the fire!!! :cool:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back from the dead!

My MMWS6100 wears a nice Sugi bar that is .050".
This limits my spare chain supply as most everything I have is .058".
With my MMWS6100 needing a new chain I placed one of two .050" 72DL 3/8" I had on her - an Archer.
Last Saturday I used this setup for a whole tank full in fresh beech and hornbeam - WOW what a *s-wordty chain!
It bit, it cut, but it kept "kicking back" in-cut every cut - extremely unpleasant.
And mind You, this is a well ported saw and as such poor chain performance was greatly masked by the saws performance - and in turn the saws performance was tarnished by the *s-wordty chain!!!

I need to get a good chain for this saw, Oregon or Husqvarna preferably.

As for this Archer loop, yeah it'll get abused and killed on my workhorse saw PS-6400 bucking dirty logs!

Just for comparison, the same day I ran 4 1/2 tanks of fuel through my PS-550 pulling a Husqvarna X-Cut - so smooth, pleasant and high performance, I only stopped using it because it got dull (skidded logs!) and I had to push the saw down hard to get it to bite.

Disclaimer:
This Archer loop I have is not "current production"!
You may get different performance results than I did.
The perception of performance and feel varies greatly depending on the operator and utilized saw!
If You like Archer chains then that is good for You, no arguments there.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back from the dead!

With my MMWS6100 needing a new chain I placed one of two .050" 72DL 3/8" I had on her - an Archer.
Last Saturday I used this setup for a whole tank full in fresh beech and hornbeam - WOW what a *s-wordty chain!
It bit, it cut, but it kept "kicking back" in-cut every cut - extremely unpleasant.
And mind You, this is a well ported saw and as such poor chain performance was greatly masked by the saws performance - and in turn the saws performance was tarnished by the *s-wordty chain!!!

As for this Archer loop, yeah it'll get abused and killed on my workhorse saw PS-6400 bucking dirty logs!

Just for comparison, the same day I ran 4 1/2 tanks of fuel through my PS-550 pulling a Husqvarna X-Cut - so smooth, pleasant and high performance, I only stopped using it because it got dull (skidded logs!) and I had to push the saw down hard to get it to bite.

Disclaimer:
The perception of performance and feel varies greatly depending on the operator and utilized saw!
I think it’ll get better with a few sharpening. Not an archer fanboy or anything but I have some. I don’t love it on long bars but I’m ok with it on shorter ones

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
2:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it’ll get better with a few sharpening. Not an archer fanboy or anything but I have some. I don’t love it on long bars but I’m ok with it on shorter ones
Not uncommon to have to "tune" a chain to a ported saw either.

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back from the dead!

Disclaimer:
I'll put a couple of 0.050 loops of 72dl 3/8" in the next box ;)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Not uncommon to have to "tune" a chain to a ported saw either.
I am aware that with a couple grinds the cutters width will significantly decrease letting the PH to pull it easier hence increasing cutting speed.
But I ain't gonna bother do so with this Archer loop on my MMWS!

Let me first check whether I can get X-Cut locally in .050"!
Shipping is just a bit©h and I wouldn't wanna waste Your efforts on 72DL chains.
I may rather employ Your good will in sourcing certain full skip full chisel - but there is no rush on that and we will "talk" about it.

I “tune” all my chains. Take a 72 drive from my 272 and put on a rancher 455 she isn’t gonna like it much
My mid and small saws like high rakers allowing them to maintain higher chain speed thus resulting in fast bucking cuts.
My big saws can handle lowered rakers allowing them to utilize the PH power with minor in cut chain speed loss.
Both scenarios 18/20" bars and 3/8" full chisel quality chains.

Many variables, no one way to go about it - which is kinda the beauty of it!

Last edited:

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am aware that with a couple grinds the cutters width will significantly decrease letting the PH to pull it easier hence increasing cutting speed.
But I ain't gonna bother do so with this Archer loop on my MMWS!

Let me first check whether I can get X-Cut locally in .050"!
Shipping is just a bit©h and I wouldn't wanna waste Your efforts on 72DL chains.
I may rather employ Your good will in sourcing certain full skip full chisel - but there is no rush on that and we will "talk" about it.

My mid and small saws like high rakers allowing them to maintain higher chain speed thus resulting in fast bucking cuts.
My big saws can handle lowered rakers allowing them to utilize the PH power with minor in cut chain speed loss.
Both scenarios 18/20" bars and 3/8" full chisel quality chains.

Many variables, no one way to go about it - which is kinda the beauty of it!
Agreed sir

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The few loops of Archer chain I bought were awful. 2 of them broke in the middle of a tie strap. Fortunately I noticed it sharpening the chain and it didn't come completely apart. Maybe just a bad batch of metal but I will pass on Archer chain.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sondre my friend, while doing chainsaw maintenance and chain sharpening I zoomed through my spare chain stash and came to realize that I in fact do have quality full chisel 72DL chains in .050" gauge - two Dolmar 496 loops I can't recall where I got them from!
My MMWS6100 will get one of these.
Please do not spend any efforts on getting me .050" 72DL chains, I am fine on those for now.
Thank You! :beer-toast1:

IMG_20230610_153359.jpg

Last edited: