Archer chain

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Always wanted to fish for the big flaties. The steaks are delish!

My wife's uncle did a 14 day cruise trip up from Washington when he retired a few years back. They were gone from here for twenty days out west and up the coast. Great pics they took.

I hate fish...

And live in the worst two places for a non fish eater

Go figure

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Always wanted to fish for the big flaties. The steaks are delish!

My wife's uncle did a 14 day cruise trip up from Washington when he retired a few years back. They were gone from here for twenty days out west and up the coast. Great pics they took.
Tell ya what Ken. If I get a big one I’m paying to have it shipped frozen to my neighbor until I get home. I’ll send you some when I get home.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Tell ya what Ken. If I get a big one I’m paying to have it shipped frozen to my neighbor until I get home. I’ll send you some when I get home.
That sounds delicious!
Eat your Wheaties and stretch good before you start winching one up. The little ones are 80-120lb.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That sounds delicious!
Eat your Wheaties and stretch good before you start winching one up. The little ones are 80-120lb.

Bwahahahahaha

Forget the fish

Wait until you winch one of these up 300-400 feet a dozen times after they mooch your herring bait

iu

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That would interesting. I’ve seen some vids of halibut fishing where they get a big one to the boat and shoot it in the head with a .410 shotgun. They never bring big ones in the boat alive.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I hate to derail this fishing thread and talk about chains but ya know...

So I got my chinesium “diamond” chain saw file I ordered to try and sort out my Archer chains

upload_2020-2-23_12-50-17.png

Not impressed but then I didn’t expect to be for less than $5 shipped

The cutting surface is just over half the amount on a Stihl file so you have to take baby strokes

It is also closer to a 13/64" file than a 7/32"

upload_2020-2-23_12-48-31.png
The “diamonds” are pretty coarse but they did cut into the extra hard cutters on the 2 loops of Archer

Total of 5 cutters on 2 chains that just bounce a fresh file right off

Even after filing them sharp with the diamond file I still can’t cut them with a regular saw file

They must have been at the bottom of the pile when they went through the annealing oven or something

This is not something I would be willing to deal with if I was in the field away from a vise and stuffs

I will say it I honestly feel that it cut better and longer after I was able to bring all the cutters to the same profile

I will wear these loops out or lose my temper and toss them out but I certainly won’t buy any more Archer

YMMV

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the file work on guns or deer?

Chances are, if you get someone to grind through that hard layer when sharpening, you will be able to file them after. Maybe.

Or contact Archer and ask for replacements. The guys I know are pretty good.

Philbert

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the file work on guns or deer?

Chances are, if you get someone to grind through that hard layer when sharpening, you will be able to file them after. Maybe.

Or contact Archer and ask for replacements. The guys I know are pretty good.

Philbert

I will ask them tomorrow morning

https://flic.kr/p/2iwViKR

Cowboy3688

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I got a few loops of archer chain a while back....I haven't sharpened a lot yet but the first time, I put em' on the grinder and gave em' a little angle change...after that they haven't skated the file but I can feel hardness in some of the cutters that I don't feel as much in some others. I have a couple loops that I ain’t used yet so I'll hit em a lick or 2 with the file and see if they have any real hard cutters in em'.....I'll let ya know in a little bit,
Kev

Cowboy3688

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Lol...serious note...laugh some more, they seem like perty hard stuff...I see kinda what yer talkin' about...decided to square file one with a sav edge three squared file and I can tell that that's probly gonna take a minit on some of em. I think I'm gonna try and see how an old small cant file feels in that spot. Heck, somethin' should cut it perty consistent besides the grinder. In fairness to the chain, my experience so far ain't been bad....they hold a factory edge fairly well for what good it is and to be honest I ain't really run em in nothin' harder than hackberry fer more than a cut or 2....hmmm, I'll mar one up in some scaly bark hickory or bodock after I get it good and sharp and let ya'll know how that turns out...lol....Till later, Kev

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

So I got my chinesium “diamond” chain saw file I ordered to try and sort out my Archer chains

View attachment 226498

Not impressed but then I didn’t expect to be for less than $5 shipped

The cutting surface is just over half the amount on a Stihl file so you have to take baby strokes

It is also closer to a 13/64" file than a 7/32"

View attachment 226497
The “diamonds” are pretty coarse but they did cut into the extra hard cutters on the 2 loops of Archer

Total of 5 cutters on 2 chains that just bounce a fresh file right off

Even after filing them sharp with the diamond file I still can’t cut them with a regular saw file

They must have been at the bottom of the pile when they went through the annealing oven or something

This is not something I would be willing to deal with if I was in the field away from a vise and stuffs

I will say it I honestly feel that it cut better and longer after I was able to bring all the cutters to the same profile

I will wear these loops out or lose my temper and toss them out but I certainly won’t buy any more Archer

YMMV
Do you have a link for those files?
I need them.

You ever see what a tuna or a shark will do to an IO engine cover when they get pissed off? I've seen a few shredded but not boats I've been in. We had a guy wanted to make that mistake once offshore.

Caught a 10lb. fluke here once, doormat 36".... fish of a lifetime.

My Archer 32" loop is consistent. No issues.

Cowboy3688

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
In my experiment there seems to be a few hard spots but the files are workin" , well some easier than others....the cant saw file cuts it real good but you have to double cut every cutter to shape it square and sharp. I prefer threesquare files but all I have new and sharp right now are the cant files or round files...lol..when I get done with a file it won't hardly cut butter..lmao, I should change that practice! Anybody know where to find decent deals on threesquare files?
In short, my testing so far is flawed but the chain I got sharp cut hickory well, when it quits rainin' I'll see how long it'll hold that edge.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have a link for those files?
I need them.

You ever see what a tuna or a shark will do to an IO engine cover when they get pissed off? I've seen a few shredded but not boats I've been in. We had a guy wanted to make that mistake once offshore.

Caught a 10lb. fluke here once, doormat 36".... fish of a lifetime.

My Archer 32" loop is consistent. No issues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-piece-5-...Lv5PairwiseWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

I think I ordered mine right about the time the Corona Virus scare was ramping up and I got it fairly quickly

They have 3 grits as denoted by the color of the handle

Never been off shore fishing except for halibut and trolling for winter feeder salmon

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my experiment there seems to be a few hard spots but the files are workin" , well some easier than others....the cant saw file cuts it real good but you have to double cut every cutter to shape it square and sharp. I prefer threesquare files but all I have new and sharp right now are the cant files or round files...lol..when I get done with a file it won't hardly cut butter..lmao, I should change that practice! Anybody know where to find decent deals on threesquare files?
In short, my testing so far is flawed but the chain I got sharp cut hickory well, when it quits rainin' I'll see how long it'll hold that edge.

I did say that mine cut better and longer after hand filing and maybe as @Philbert said a good grinder sharpening would sort it out

I just don't have access to that and adding 2 way shipping to the cost of the 2 loops already plus $5 for the diamond file and it loses any appeal to me as a cost saving alternative

I can see a guy with a grinder and lots of saws and lots of work buying loops or better yet a roll and spinning them up

I don't use enough chain to get into a make or break situation money wise

It was a fun experiment and as always I learned some stuff and have formed my opinion based on my experiences

I am glad it works out for some of you cause it's always good to have options

Peace...