Aluminum felling wedges

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is why I tend to wrap the top part of handles near the heads of axes and sledges I like with heater hose. I have been known to miss once in a while in the heat of the moment. I see ACE is selling the estwing hammers and wood splitting wedges. I have been thinking about picking up one of the splitting wedges for some heavy lifting, if needed, because sometimes the hard heads do not cut it.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far wedges go we normally run the Madsen’s branded wedges they stack nice and they pound decent. The red heads are so so a little too soft for my liking especially in the big older fir you’ll destroy the heads quickly if you don’t have two in the back cut together. Another option if you’re having trouble keeping wedges together when stacking is the rifled wedges I don’t remember them spitting out and they can’t come a part well really beating on them. And if that’s bad it maybe time to pony up the money for a set of jacks yes they’re expensive but they’re worth every dime when you need them.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far wedges go we normally run the Madsen’s branded wedges they stack nice and they pound decent. The red heads are so so a little too soft for my liking especially in the big older fir you’ll destroy the heads quickly if you don’t have two in the back cut together. Another option if you’re having trouble keeping wedges together when stacking is the rifled wedges I don’t remember them spitting out and they can’t come a part well really beating on them. And if that’s bad it maybe time to pony up the money for a set of jacks yes they’re expensive but they’re worth every dime when you need them.
Yeah, I have torn up my KHs pretty good...but they are comfy and don't shatter. I was dropping some fatties for a buddy and he broke a 12" Oregon. They ping noticeably when schwacked...but the heads don't mushroom much. I will try some blue wedges to go with my blue axe, I like Madsen's.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@davidwyby
All wedges are great till they break that’s what I normally have happen with any of them. If you’re getting bounce back try using two wedges at once and alternate between the two that will help with the bounce back. Another thing is placement of the hinge can make a huge difference in how things wedge, the closer to center of mass the easier stuff move too.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:11 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 345145

That ole pine knocked the spikes down.
The fiskars took chunks out if my strike was off, the sledge mushroomed them a bit.
I agree with the hard head modification.

You need to narrow the wedges strike area, that way it won't mushroom wider than the wedge is thick & wide, and any mushrooming can easily be knocked down.
When I get home from work I'll up some pictures.

I have two cast aluminum wedges that I utilize to prevent pinching my bar when bucking large OD logs.
Nicked them a couple times with my chains, never any significant damage to the cutters - though it takes a good chunk out of the wedge every time.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Of course last Saturday I was felling a bunch of squishy wet ficus and didn’t have my stippled aluminum wedges. Only thing that would stay in those trees was a single long thin wedge sideways. I tried dirt, sawdust, everything just squirted out. Ended up changing my cuts so one wedge was sufficient.

IMG_4991.jpeg

Last edited:

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Of course last Saturday I was felling a bunch of squishy wet ficus and didn’t have my stippled aluminum wedges. Only thing that would stay in those trees was a single long thin wedge sideways. I tried dirt, sawdust, everything just squirted out. Ended up chasing my cuts so one wedge was sufficient.

View attachment 405202
I would suggest practicing making your own wedges out of the same tree you’re cutting on site. For situations like you just described it’s the perfect solution.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would suggest practicing making your own wedges out of the same tree you’re cutting on site. For situations like you just described it’s the perfect solution.
Same wood sticks to same wood? Or that type of wood would be good for wedges?

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Same wood sticks to same wood? Or that type of wood would be good for wedges?
I mean any wood could do. You would ideally use wood from the same tree if you could. I usually have tons of branches to cut wedges from by the time I fell the spar but have made wedges out of the face cut. No right or wrong way to do it really. A little practice and you’ll figure out what works best for you bud.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll add a caveat, never assume you won't need wedges when dropping a tree because improvisation can suck. Also, if you're sicker that chit don't go out and drop trees cause you won't be thinking right. This was from a few weeks ago when I was down with covid. A rock and a brittle, kinda punky wood chip are a lot more awkward than an axe and wedge. Yep, I crushed a tree. Yes, it was kinda intentional.
IMG_6189.jpegIMG_6190.jpegIMG_6191.jpeg