davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
8:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe screw some hard heads together with the screws at an angle with the tips sticking out the opposite side to prevent popping out

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe screw some hard heads together with the screws at an angle with the tips sticking out the opposite side to prevent popping out
That’s certainly some out-of-the-box thinking!

Now I’m thinking of laminating wedges: alternating layers of aluminum with ABS, kind of like Damascus steel . . .

Philbert

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s certainly some out-of-the-box thinking!

Now I’m thinking of laminating wedges: alternating layers of aluminum with ABS, kind of like Damascus steel . . .

Philbert
Heck yes! I am going to try this!!!

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of photos please!

Philbert
Took two used ugly wedgesIMG_9179.JPG IMG_9180.JPG IMG_9184.JPG IMG_9185.JPG and made one bigger ugly wedge. Was not going to use any of redheaded ones for first try, besides those seem to stack just fine. Those Husky wedges are not ones I would buy again. Epoxied, drilled, ran in threaded bolts, ground heads off, welded edges with iron, hit it with belt sander, done but still ugly. See how it holds together after it is beaten on.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Took two used ugly wedges and made one bigger ugly wedge.
!!!!!

I like it! Interested to see how it holds up!

The screws still make me a little nervous: I am sure my saw would find them. Maybe dowels instead?

There must be some type adhesive for ABS type plastics, or maybe they can be ultrasonically welded?

When reconditioning plastic wedges, I now only bevel the edge on one side, so that they can stack better.

(Thought I had a photo in the attached thread: will look for it.
https://opeforum.com/threads/wedge-renewal.13185/ )

Philbert

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe bolt one hard head plate to both wedges too. Flat head socket head cap screws.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
!!!!!

I like it! Interested to see how it holds up!

The screws still make me a little nervous: I am sure my saw would find them. Maybe dowels instead?

There must be some type adhesive for ABS type plastics, or maybe they can be ultrasonically welded?

When reconditioning plastic wedges, I now only bevel the edge on one side, so that they can stack better.

(Thought I had a photo in the attached thread: will look for it.
https://opeforum.com/threads/wedge-renewal.13185/ )

Philbert
Agree, thought about using maple dowels and epoxy them in. Figured those grade 8 threads would be far enough out. When running them in, it melts plastic and they become bonded. Thought when driving them, fronts should get pinched together. Never know unless I try, waiting for heat and humidity to let up. Loathe seeing more dead oaks on property, beginning of summer knew there were about 6, now it's more like 11 or more. Took down 3 when snow finally left. Gypsy moths and oak wilt have stressed them again.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
(Thought I had a photo in the attached thread: will look for it.)

It was a thread in ‘a different forum’!
upload_2022-8-7_16-25-29.png

The illustration shows why I shape the tips into a single bevel (‘BB’) for stacking, when reconditioning plastic wedges.

Philbert

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agree, thought about using maple dowels and epoxy them in. Figured those grade 8 threads would be far enough out. When running them in, it melts plastic and they become bonded. Thought when driving them, fronts should get pinched together. Never know unless I try, waiting for heat and humidity to let up. Loathe seeing more dead oaks on property, beginning of summer knew there were about 6, now it's more like 11 or more. Took down 3 when snow finally left. Gypsy moths and oak wilt have stressed them again.

I wonder how a pvc glue for plumbing would work ?, I know they have some really hot stuff that melts the plastic pipe together.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to find Zinc wedges and they would bail me out of a bad situation from time to time. I think you are going in the right direction. By the time you need a "metal" wedge, your chain is the least of your worries :)

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Took two used ugly wedgesView attachment 345355 View attachment 345356 View attachment 345358 View attachment 345359 and made one bigger ugly wedge. Was not going to use any of redheaded ones for first try, besides those seem to stack just fine. Those Husky wedges are not ones I would buy again. Epoxied, drilled, ran in threaded bolts, ground heads off, welded edges with iron, hit it with belt sander, done but still ugly. See how it holds together after it is beaten on.
It held together. Hitting those bolts with chain would be different story, didn't hit them

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to find Zinc wedges and they would bail me out of a bad situation from time to time. I think you are going in the right direction. By the time you need a "metal" wedge, your chain is the least of your worries :)
I have found they work well and don’t damage a chain but they chip easily. Magnesium is supposed to be better for chip resistance.

Another idea I had the other day when @Woodslasher and I were pounding wedges a lot…gut the hinge, open conventional face and just pound the (metal?) wedge all the way through. Would allow for a longer wedge in a smaller tree that needed a lot of wedging. We were pushing them through other tree limbs.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to use steel wedges for really tough trees that needed lifting, but, I found the hard head plastic wedges worked almost as well without worrying as much about chain contact and having the saw come back at me or nuking a chain in the middle of a hazardous tree removal.

I do have these cute little 3-4 inch iron or steel wedges with a hole at the end. They are so thin, I think they were used to keep the kerf open on two man saws.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
David, you could probably thread a steel cone and try drilling it into the kerf. It would need a polished finish, and a bit of oil might help it lift heavy trees.

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My steel wedges, I never knew they were that expensive until I looked I googled them and found an eBay listing or two.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/195515632048

I just keep them for a companion kerf wedge for my two man saws since plastic wedges tend too be too big. I should sell them and use the money to buy something useful such as bon-bons because unless my kids have a huge change of heart, they will probably end up as scrap metal somewhere when I die. I already saved them from the scrappers (metal "artist") one time.

Now I know why the hole with the 1/2 round channel exists. I originally thought maybe if you stacked them together, it formed a hole where you could slip in a small pin so they would be locked together for stacking. I guess it is as simple as it prevents the raw hide retrieval loop from being squished in the cut. I thought they were meant for keeping kerfs open, maybe even for climbers, and not for tipping trees.

Attachments

• wedge_04.jpg
    wedge_04.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 10
  • wedge_03.jpg
    wedge_03.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 8
  • wedge_02.jpg
    wedge_02.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 6
  • wedge_01.jpg
    wedge_01.jpg