Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
7:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW, I wouldn't let carquest machine the engine on my crazy carpet.
If your wanting to get the squish and base cut definitely send it to reputable saw builder. They know what they are doing. Most guys are very affordable and do amazing work

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe that OEM 272 kits are ~$120.00 new from the dealers now, I will have to check when I get back to the store Wednesday (eXmark school Monday and Tuesday). Bear in mind that you will need to get the 272 intake block, gaskets, and bolts as well as the 670 used a boot. Also, the carb can get a little tricky as the 272 carb is internally pulsed vs. externally pulsed on the Jonsered and the Jonny had the cam to set the high idle on the carb. The Husky did not have the cam as you set the high idle with the throttle lock in the handle. There are a few ways to work around this, the easiest way is to find a carb for a Jonsered 630 Super as it was internally pulsed and had the cam. Another option is to drill into either the crankcase or the pulse port in the intake block and epoxy in a Barb for a pulse line and stick with the 670 carb. There are other options of course but they all get either difficult or ugly (a Husky tank on a Jonny :facepalm: ).

Joe

Kozak Logging

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I believe that OEM 272 kits are ~$120.00 new from the dealers now, I will have to check when I get back to the store Wednesday (eXmark school Monday and Tuesday). Bear in mind that you will need to get the 272 intake block, gaskets, and bolts as well as the 670 used a boot. Also, the carb can get a little tricky as the 272 carb is internally pulsed vs. externally pulsed on the Jonsered and the Jonny had the cam to set the high idle on the carb. The Husky did not have the cam as you set the high idle with the throttle lock in the handle. There are a few ways to work around this, the easiest way is to find a carb for a Jonsered 630 Super as it was internally pulsed and had the cam. Another option is to drill into either the crankcase or the pulse port in the intake block and epoxy in a Barb for a pulse line and stick with the 670 carb. There are other options of course but they all get either difficult or ugly (a Husky tank on a Jonny :facepalm: ).

Joe
I have a 630 jonsered actually that still runs and everything. I didn't know about the idle issue. I kinda thought the 272xp carb would just bolt up and work?

Kozak Logging

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just thought the 630 carb would be a tad smaller than what I needed unless its the same size?

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 630 jonsered actually that still runs and everything. I didn't know about the idle issue. I kinda thought the 272xp carb would just bolt up and work?

Not without some sort of arrangement for the high idle. Might could take the shafts out of the 670 carb and put them in the 272 carb but I have never tried it.

Joe

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It will run with a smaller carb, just might not quite have all the power it could have. Honestly not sure you would even notice though.

Joe

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd try the 670 cylinder ported first. It will be the cheapest option and I dontsee gaining much from the 272 cylinder over that one with the other issues.

The 272 WILL shine with longer Bars, but if he is sticking with 24" and shorter then absolutely.

Joe

Kozak Logging

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thats kinda why I wanted to do the jonsered 670 52mm kit, that would be me more displacement and it already has the impulse nipple ready to go.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thats kinda why I wanted to do the jonsered 670 52mm kit, that would be me more displacement and it already has the impulse nipple ready to go.

I would rather go with an OEM 272 cylinder and drill the into the pulse circut on the intake block and epoxy a nipple.

Joe

bplust

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hs260 is the hot ticket carb, with the hs163 being the smallest. I personally would stick with OEM jugs.

Is your saw set up for the recirculating carb?

Bryan

Last edited:

bplust

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

bplust

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've done it. But in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with a 670 jug for what he wants to do. I'd spend my money on porting, not new aluminum. Unless his intake boot is bad..they're scarce. If that's bad, and $ isn't an issue, convert it and the intake to 272 and port it

+1 on this.

The intake boot is definitely something to think about if you're planning on making the saw a "lifer". They are a bit hard to find, though if you snag a new one or have a real nice used one, it'll last a good while, as these boots don't flex much compared to many modern saws.